No Love from Mizzou

HUSKERCR

Saint Louis Post Dispatch resident hack sports "writer" Bernie Miklasz had some uncharitable comments for Nebraska on the front page of today's paper. Some samples:

"Nebraska bolted the Big 12 for the Big 10 in a brazen money grab, and NU's president took some shots at Missouri as he reached for the loot."

"Pelini and his brother Carl...are a little full of themselves."

"MU quarterback Blaine Gabbert, a Nebraska recruit, decommitted and stayed in Missouri. He'll probably get the yahoo treatment Saturday afternoon in Lincoln."

One thing you can always count on with Missouri: when they're down, they're hateful and resentful. When they're up they're hateful and arrogant.

This is low-hanging fruit from this writer. There's a market for this like there's a market for McDonald's cheeseburgers. We all know it's crap, but most of us consume it anyway.

It really disappoints me as an aspiring journalist to see that crap like this is what gets attention. It really makes me second think my choices...

This is low-hanging fruit from this writer. There's a market for this like there's a market for McDonald's cheeseburgers. We all know it's crap, but most of us consume it anyway.

That market is called "Columbia". Oh, and I have to laugh at anyone from Missouri or who is a fan of the program calling anyone "full of themselves" after the way they worshiped Chase Daniel.

I assure you that Bernie doesn't speak for all Mizzou fans -- at least not those of us who are rational. Regrettably, we are a shrinking faction. Somehow, several years of moderate success have gone to some fans' heads. In the process, they're missing out on the single-greatest aspect of the Pinkel regime and that is that Mizzou football is finally (or once again, depending how old you are) RELEVANT. At the end of the day, isn't that all we can ask from our college teams? That they put us in the position to enjoy games like those that occurred last weekend and which are on the slate for this weekend? This may sound like loser talk to some, but the fact of the matter is that I won't be stepping between the lines on Saturday and my confidence in Mizzou's abilities has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

GO TIGERS!

As someone who listens to Bernie almost everyday on his radio show, he has never been very high on Nebraska. He always speaks his mind, no matter what it is telling him. I remember last year, on his conference preview, he kept on talking about how he doesn't see Nebraska ever returning back to prominence. And this summer, how Mizzou was the much more attractive choice for the Big10. So, he never has been high on the huskers, so no big surprise.

That market is called America. Don't kid yourself that it's just CoMo. It's Lincoln, Des Moines, Wichita, Fargo, Little Rock, Stillwater, Dallas, Miami, Fresno, Seattle, etc, etc, etc.

Have you seen any Omaha or Lincoln papers print something like this? Honestly curious, I haven't.

That's a good point, our local papers are far above that kind of journalism. But it's still readily available from national outlets, and you can't watch any flavor of national news without some of this seeping in.

I hold our local sportswriters, and most of our local print journalists in general, in the highest regard. Most of our local radio and TV broadcast folks are top notch as well. I was talking mainly about the kind of person who consumes that kind of media - and they're everywhere.

That market is called America. Don't kid yourself that it's just CoMo. It's Lincoln, Des Moines, Wichita, Fargo, Little Rock, Stillwater, Dallas, Miami, Fresno, Seattle, etc, etc, etc.

Have you seen any Omaha or Lincoln papers print something like this? Honestly curious, I haven't.

That's a good point, our local papers are far above that kind of journalism. But it's still readily available from national outlets, and you can't watch any flavor of national news without some of this seeping in.

I hold our local sportswriters, and most of our local print journalists in general, in the highest regard. Most of our local radio and TV broadcast folks are top notch as well. I was talking mainly about the kind of person who consumes that kind of media - and they're everywhere.

Cleared up now. Good point on people who eat that stuff up.

you can always count on a couple from Sam McKewon

its all in your ears knappy. as in you hear the bad when its about your team. If this would have been posted 1 week ago i could have sited, pasted, linked you to a number of examples just like this against Mu all from NE writers, papers, telivision and radio.