What we learned today

Malth

That the D-Line can get pressure on the QB when they rush 4 guys. Increased pressure was HUGE today.

That our secondary is bad-ass. I really felt much of that pressure was from coverage.

That Bo/ Carl's defense is designed to beat Missouri.

That the coaches are fed up with some subpar play on D and are letting more people play. I saw Randle, Moore, Osbourne, Cassidy

That Ciante Evans is going to be a stud.

That Taylor Martinez is a better passer than I thought (We saw it last week but I needed more than 1 week to be sure).

That he is still a freshman. (throw the ball away, take fewer hits)

That those announcers suck!!!!

That we are lucky to have an adequate senior QB to come in and manage the game.

:yeah

I learned a few things ..

Ciante Evans - you are going to ball out for years to come. I had heard good things about you, but I did not know you were already THAT good.

Offensive line - When these guys man up, they can be one of the better units in the country. Today, they manned up just like they did against Washington. Still struggling a bit up the middle in pass pro, but they were incredibly good today.

Ben Cotton - Guy will not get the credit he deserves, but the boy has been mauling folks all year while blocking at TE. The block to spring Roy's 1st TD was beautiful in how he took two guys out of the play. He won't show up in the stat sheet, but I know the coaches absolutely love the kid for what he does for the team.

Kyler Reed - From practice superstar, to slowly turning into on-field superstar. It's almost funny how our TE is our biggest deep threat as a receiver. But hey, when you have the speed and athleticism at TE like he does, who cares? Everyone always knew when it finally clicked on the field for Kyler, he would become a weapon. He is now a weapon.

Roy Helu - Likely one of the most unheralded players in Nebraska history. Someone can be so close to breaking into the top 5 rushers of all-time at Nebraska, but yet hardly gets any credit. Will likely end up top 3-4 rushers all time at this university, all the while he did it so quietly and without much mention. It's sad, but yet incredible at the same time.

Today though, Roy made sure that no one can ever forget him at Nebraska because his name will likely be in that record book for a long, long time.

Oh yeah, who the hell is Ciante Evans?? Wow, that kids looks vicious! Oh boy, we're gonna have some studs for the Big10 to deal with.

Great, great post BigWillie. I just can't decide who surprised me more (Dline or OLine)? I suppose the Dline. I wish I had recorded that game. Did we dump the two gap play for them? How did they get the push that we've wanted all year?

Reed looks simply excellent. Haha...who cares that he's a TE?

Lastly, huge props to Z. Lee & Barney. Watching Barney's Oline RUN OVER Missou in the 4th was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in years. As Willie said, just like Washington & KSU but vs a far better defensive unit.

These last two games have been soooooooo fun to watch.

I wish I had recorded that game. Did we dump the two gap play for them? How did they get the push that we've wanted all year?

Three of the biggest things I saw today that we haven't done all year ..

1.) We actually won 1-on-1 battles. The defense is really VERY close to the same we played from the latter part of last year, the exception we just aren't winning 1-on-1 battles up front. Today, these guys got after it and actually won the battles like they did last year.

2.) We stunted, alot. Meredith more than anyone we stunted with and it confused the heck out of Mizzou as we had rarely done this all year.

3.) We went to our 'Spinner' package more than any time this year. For those who haven't heard of this, it's basically when we use 4 DL, but use one of the DL in a standup position. Meredith was that guy today, and was even used in coverage quite a bit from this position.

I would be lying if I acted like I knew a ton about this defense, so I'll let someone else who knows more explain it ..

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2010/07/nebraska-pressure-spinner.html

BTW, for anyone, you really want to learn quite a bit about football, read that guys entire blog. Insanely informative, and always worth a read.

Good to see the Pelini's took my advice on how to beat Misery...get to Gabbert and he becomes ordinary...let him sit back there and he will put it in there against some of our best coverage. Loved seeing the pressure and pass rush! YES!

Helu Jr. is the man!

Great game by the O-Line!

Nice game by the D! Was worried when Dennard went out...nice to see Evans play well. Nice to see Osborne play well.

Hope TMart is alright and nice game management by Z. Lee to keep our offense moving.

Adi is a great weapon on kick-off.

No turnovers = we win.

This team still puckers and can't keep their foot on the throttle.

It's not like our QB was injured or anything. Sorry we can't score 24 points every quarter. Does any game, in which we don't score 96 points, upset you?

Your clueless, it's not the score. It's called maintaining the execution, fundamentals, and intensity for 4 qtrs.

I'm clueless. You're (not "your")right. I feel bad for you if you can't understand that teams get hot and then cool off during a game. You must get really confused on a regular basis. Perhaps football isn't a good sport for you.

Ben Cotton - Guy will not get the credit he deserves, but the boy has been mauling folks all year while blocking at TE. The block to spring Roy's 1st TD was beautiful in how he took two guys out of the play. He won't show up in the stat sheet, but I know the coaches absolutely love the kid for what he does for the team.

Agreed. He has his last name against him, sadly.. because it seems things are starting to turn around there, hopefully.. and Cotton is good there.