Major props to Z. Lee

bshirt

I was a stupid call. We're running the ball all over them "and" we really want a 1st down "and" 3rd & 2 "and" we want to burn the clock. Typical SW.

Lee bailed us out though!

Oh please. Every coach knows that the biggest part of burning the clock is getting another set of downs to burn the clock with. A sideline pass on third and two is in every smart play callers pocket -- especially when the d is expecting the run - and that was our supposedly "better pure passer" in there. Tom Osborne was known to make that call himself.

The one and only problem I have with Lee's play is that third-down call. Yes, he made a brilliant pass to Reed, who made a brilliant catch on the sidelines. What I saw was that Zac could have easily ran for the first down (I think it was 3rd-and-3, right?). He had a ton of open field in front of him and could have picked it up with his feet, but he threw it instead. It was a pinpoint throw on the run to a covered receiver, and he pulled it off with tremendous skill and poise.

But next time RUN THE BALL, Zac! I about had a coronary on that play. ;)