Kickoff question

so if you win the toss and choose to kick (1st choice) you will have to kick again starting the 2nd half if the opponent (which has 1st choice 2nd half) chooses to receive (which they will likely do)?

If that is the case and you want to start the game kicking off, you actually have to hope for not winning the coin toss and the opponent to choose to receive? :bs:

so if you win the toss and choose to kick (1st choice) you will have to kick again starting the 2nd half if the opponent (which has 1st choice 2nd half) chooses to receive (which they will likely do)?

If that is the case and you want to start the game kicking off, you actually have to hope for not winning the coin toss and the opponent to choose to receive? :bs:

Or you can defer to the second half, which means that the other team will get the choice to kick or receive to start the game and they will almost certainly choose to receive.

Or you can defer to the second half, which means that the other team will get the choice to kick or receive to start the game and they will almost certainly choose to receive.

ok that makes sense

I've never understood why they make this needlessly complicated. Why does the winner of the kick-off have to choose the right to choose now, or choose later? Why can't it just be kicking and receiving? You see a lot of teams get bit by this a few times a year, I think it's dumb, personally.

I agree, if you kickoff one half you rec the other. The other choice should be to defend which side. The kicking team always gets to choose the side to defend. This is really a dumb rule. So, you must say, we choose to defer our decision to make a decision on what we want to do on the second half kickoff? What you say you say????

I always thought defer meant we want to defer our shot at rec to the second half. Now, I see that it means to defer making a choice???

This is just dumb!!!

I agree. It really makes no sense to make this anymore complicated than it has to be.

I think I'm still confused.

I can try to help here, not sure how successful I'll be.

When you have the coin toss at the beginning of the game, the winner of the flip isn't gifted with the choice to kick or return, they are gifted with the choice to choose which half they want to choose their option. In other words, you aren't flipping to say "we want to kick" or "we want to receive", you are flipping to say "we want to choose now" or "we want to choose to start the second half". If you win the toss, you can choose your option right away (instead of deferring), but that means the other team gets to choose their option to start the 3rd. What this means is, if you decide to choose to start the game, and you choose receive, then naturally the other team will choose the same thing later, but if you choose and you choose "kick", then you wasted your choice because the other team still gets to choose later on, so you chose "kick" and they chose "receive".