Deer Season 2010

Blaze1up

Seen a nice 5x5 roaming around my neck of the woods, not very wide but tall and heavy. Would love to bag it opening day with the 270. Only a couple more weeks and I can't wait. Anyone else getting set for a big buck ? Haven't heard much from the bow season, usually theres a couple trophies going around right about now.

This year I'm hunting in Blue Southeast, normally I hunt Wahoo. There are normally alot of deer with quite a few nice bucks down there, supposedly. I hunted there years ago, only saw 1 nice one myself, but the crew I'm hunting with all shot really nice bucks last year. Went pheasant hunting in the same area last weekend, and saw very few deer.

• Fire 1

Only 8 more days. I'll be hunting Elkhorn, it's NE Nebraska, Emerson-Hubbard area. What do you guys think about the shoot a doe 1st before you can get a buck ? Did anyone get the double doe tags for Oct. ?

I'm hunting the Elkorn unit too, Hooper area. I'm a non-resident, and I picked up the season choice antlerless permit. $55 for two does ain't bad for a non-resident tag. Most of my group are residents, and have the earn-a-buck tag. From what I've heard from the guys this year, it shouldn't be too tough to get some does down on Saturday morning. I just hope the bucks stick around once the shooting starts.

And hey, the game's on after shooting hours draw to a close. That works. Nothing like listening to the Big Red on the radio while gutting a deer.

We had a big buck get hit by a car the other day and we were dispatched to the accident. The video of the deer is pretty cool. He was still alive so we had to put him down, but trust me, there was a guy right there waiting to take him off of our hands. Too bad he couldn't have been taken the traditional way...................Big 10 pointer.

Only 8 more days. I'll be hunting Elkhorn, it's NE Nebraska, Emerson-Hubbard area. What do you guys think about the shoot a doe 1st before you can get a buck ? Did anyone get the double doe tags for Oct. ?

I'm hunting the Elkorn unit too, Hooper area. I'm a non-resident, and I picked up the season choice antlerless permit. $55 for two does ain't bad for a non-resident tag. Most of my group are residents, and have the earn-a-buck tag. From what I've heard from the guys this year, it shouldn't be too tough to get some does down on Saturday morning. I just hope the bucks stick around once the shooting starts.

And hey, the game's on after shooting hours draw to a close. That works. Nothing like listening to the Big Red on the radio while gutting a deer.

From my understanding you don't "have" to shoot a doe first, it is just if you don't get a doe and you bag a buck, you have to pay some penalty. Anyhow, from my viewpoint, it is good. I've been hunting that area of the Wahoo unit for about 12 years, and I have only seen about 3 or 4 really nice deer taken from that area, and it's pretty good deer territory. Close to the Platte with some wooded rolling hills surrounding it. The problem is too many guys who hunt that unit only care about bagging a buck, and don't care about how big it is. They tell me that they want meat, tell me that does are better eating, but they beat their chest when they shoot some little 2 X 2. They get all sorts of buck fever when they see a horn. I guess it must really help their ego when they tell all of their buddies that they got a buck, no matter how small it is. It'd be good to make them quit killing all those little bucks.

So how'd it go? The weather wasn't as bad as I thought, but we couldn't get down some mud roads over the weekend, so our spots were limited. My truck was a filthy mess however (which is what my driveway now is). Our group of 4 ended up with 7 deer between the 4 of us (8 tags), 5 does and 2 bucks. I got one respectable buck.

We ended up hunting with another group of 5 guys for awhile over the weekend, and they got another 5 or 6 does. Not many bucks, and the ones we saw weren't real big. I did see some quality bucks at the check/processing station that we were at.

I'm thinking about getting a season choice permit for unit 20, I may head out a little this weekend, but I may save it for late season. Not sure, I really don't need 3 or 4 deer just for myself, and they get pricey to process. I guess we'll see.