We now know that Cody Green reads Huskerboard

irafreak

The gameplan was very conservative and remniscient of the end of last year, where we turtled down and focused on running, keeping it safe, and executing.

It would have worked better but for some fumbles that we lost anyways (Helu, PAUL *groan*).

You can read this too ways: a) the conservative approach was flawed (I would bet anything Pelini was behind that idea, FWIW) or B), the staff knows what they have in Green and didn't have a lot of confidence in doing anything more with him.

I tend to think it was a little more conservative than necessary. Even when you got backups and the chips are down, you have to show some faith in these guys and let them play loose, instead of admitting from the get-go that we are just going to claw it safe and keep it limited. But safe is Pelini's style.

This is what frustrated me the most. It wasnt like we trying to win the game, its like we were trying not to lose, trust me theirs a difference. This is the biggest beef i have with Watson, I dont think he has the confidence in our backup QBs to turn them lose alittle. The Texas game when Lee came it seemed like we didnt push it being down in the 4th. Saw the samething today. You cant win ball games by being so conservative to the point it shows how much lack of confidence you have in your signal caller. Offenses and Defenses feed off each others success, we needed to go for the throat to take the wind out of their sails and get our defense fired up alittle. It just seemed our offense was out their running through motions for the most part, except for Burkhead,Helu,Kinnie. We only took a shot once I believe(3rd quarter) and looked like Paul under estimated the wind.

Where the hell is Dontraveyous Robinson at?????

The gameplan was very conservative and remniscient of the end of last year, where we turtled down and focused on running, keeping it safe, and executing.

It would have worked better but for some fumbles that we lost anyways (Helu, PAUL *groan*).

You can read this too ways: a) the conservative approach was flawed (I would bet anything Pelini was behind that idea, FWIW) or B), the staff knows what they have in Green and didn't have a lot of confidence in doing anything more with him.

I tend to think it was a little more conservative than necessary. Even when you got backups and the chips are down, you have to show some faith in these guys and let them play loose, instead of admitting from the get-go that we are just going to claw it safe and keep it limited. But safe is Pelini's style.

Agree with a lot of that. "Safe" as Pelini's style may not be the best description. I just think as a defensive minded head coach he is more than likely going to throw his chips down on having his defense win the game, especially when it is uncertain what we may have with the offense on a day like today. This mindset is probably the best way to go with our team today and a strategy I would prefer with a Nebraska team in general. A few more pieces on offense and we will be really good. Defense could have defintely played better but we won on the road with our 3rd string QB.

This is what frustrated me the most. It wasnt like we trying to win the game, its like we were trying not to lose, trust me theirs a difference. This is the biggest beef i have with Watson, I dont think he has the confidence in our backup QBs to turn them lose alittle. The Texas game when Lee came it seemed like we didnt push it being down in the 4th. Saw the samething today. You cant win ball games by being so conservative to the point it shows how much lack of confidence you have in your signal caller. Offenses and Defenses feed off each others success, we needed to go for the throat to take the wind out of their sails and get our defense fired up alittle. It just seemed our offense was out their running through motions for the most part, except for Burkhead,Helu,Kinnie. We only took a shot once I believe(3rd quarter) and looked like Paul under estimated the wind.

If that frustrates you, though, I think the person you should be taking it up with is Pelini, not Watson. He is tightening the reins, as he did last year - last year, it was the right call to make, but last year was a different situation on both sides of the ball. Right now it seems to me we should not take the attitude of "we're turtling down just because our backup is in." Whereas last year, we had that elite defense, and of course the entire offense was borked and costing us games. (EDIT: I agree also with chamrock that it could be Bo showing faith in the D, rather than the O. )

This is a little too risk averse for my taste, but then, it might not be if they are really right on having such little confidence in Cody. From my standpoint it is hard to say - but I'm skeptical.

When Lee came in against Texas, we actually did push it a bit and took some shots downfield, including on 4th-and-10. Lee had some great passes downfield that popped out of receivers' hands. He had three sure touchdown passes on two drives, if I recall (one of them projecting a wide-open catch and run on a dumpoff or something like that). It probably didn't feel that way because the D on that day could not get the offense back on the field and Texas held on to the ball so damn long. Lee really just had about two drives.

I think on that shot we took, Cody overthrew Paul, but it was a good shot to take (and the overthrow was safe from being an interception). I think we saw at that point in the 2nd half, us taking a few more shots, which I was encouraged by personally, but which led to a lot of people yelling at Watson for not just running the ball on these boards. :dunno

If that frustrates you, though, I think the person you should be taking it up with is Pelini, not Watson. He is tightening the reins, as he did last year - last year, it was the right call to make, but last year was a different situation on both sides of the ball. Right now it seems to me we should not take the attitude of "we're turtling down just because our backup is in." Whereas last year, we had that elite defense, and of course the entire offense was borked and costing us games. (EDIT: I agree also with chamrock that it could be Bo showing faith in the D, rather than the O. )

This is a little too risk averse for my taste, but then, it might not be if they are really right on having such little confidence in Cody. From my standpoint it is hard to say - but I'm skeptical.

When Lee came in against Texas, we actually did push it a bit and took some shots downfield, including on 4th-and-10. Lee had some great passes downfield that popped out of receivers' hands. He had three sure touchdown passes on two drives, if I recall (one of them projecting a wide-open catch and run on a dumpoff or something like that). It probably didn't feel that way because the D on that day could not get the offense back on the field and Texas held on to the ball so damn long. Lee really just had about two drives.

I think on that shot we took, Cody overthrew Paul, but it was a good shot to take (and the overthrow was safe from being an interception). I think we saw at that point in the 2nd half, us taking a few more shots, which I was encouraged by personally, but which led to a lot of people yelling at Watson for not just running the ball on these boards. :dunno

Dont get wrong it last year it was the right call to make. We wouldve won by 30 last year against ISU if it werent for the turnovers. Supposedly before the season the QB race was pretty tight between those 3. I guess if the decision was to go with Green. Then I thought maybe we shouldve turned him lose alittle bit at first to see what he can do(or atleast in the first half). I know the wind was a factor, I still cant figure out how ISU got the ball and the wind in 2nd and 4th quarters.

I knew we wouldnt be as aggressive on offense, but this was alittle to close for comfort for me.

FWIW, note the bolded quote from Mr. Green at the very end of the article.

AMES, Iowa -- Cody Green said it was "iffy" throughout the week exactly who would start Saturday at quarterback for Nebraska.

Iffy is a good word to describe Nebraska's last stand here as a member of the Big 12.

Does Nebraska's offense miss starting quarterback Taylor Martinez as much as it appeared during the ninth-ranked Huskers' 31-30 overtime triumph against Iowa State?

Nothing iffy about that answer.

Martinez, the ultra-quick redshirt freshman, casually pedaled a stationary bicycle behind the bench during part of the tension-filled second half. Because of a sprained ankle, he was the "emergency guy," Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said after the game.

Steady senior Zac Lee, who replaced Martinez in the second half of last week's 31-17 win against Missouri, was unavailable because of a hand injury. He suited up but didn't throw passes in warmups.

Pelini said the Huskers practiced throughout the week unsure exactly who would play quarterback. Maybe Martinez's ankle would heal sufficiently, maybe not.

"It wasn't the most ideal situation," Pelini admitted.

Nebraska, despite its top-10 status, often played like a team unsure of itself. I loathe the word swagger. But something was missing.

Mostly, Martinez was missing. Iowa State could focus more on running backs Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead. Missouri wishes it would've had that option last week in Nebraska's 24-point first quarter.

Indeed, maybe we should've anticipated Nebraska (8-1, 4-1 Big 12) finishing Saturday with only 314 yards of total offense, even against an Iowa State outfit that ranked 102nd nationally in total defense entering the day.

After all, Nebraska essentially was down to its third-string quarterback. Husker coaches don't break it down in those terms. They say Lee and Green are "2A and 2B." Whatever. Green was the third choice Saturday, that was clear. And life can be iffy for most any team in such a situation. Even for a Husker team that had averaged 458.5 yards through eight games.

Whatever his role, it's easy to cheer for Green. The sturdy 6-foot-4, 225-pound sophomore is seemingly always upbeat. He has accepted his reserve status marvelously. He never shies from interviews, always a stand-up guy, even when there's adversity.

His postgame media appearance Saturday wasn't necessarily one of those adverse moments. Still, it felt a bit awkward. Nebraska prevailed in memorable fashion, its BCS bowl hopes alive, but hardly anybody expected it to be this difficult.

Green played well at times, but I expected better.

I expected him to complete that crucial third-and-2 pass in the fourth quarter. Instead, he short-armed it to an open Kyler Reed.

I expected, after Iowa State rallied to forge a 24-24 tie, that Green somehow would find a way to push Nebraska into the end zone before regulation time ended.

Give Green some credit, though. He showed toughness. He was like the pitcher who surrendered eight runs but still got the win.

In the first half, Green absorbed a hard hit and had to leave the game. No problem. Running back Rex Burkhead lined up in the shotgun and took three straight snaps before Green returned. Burkhead was used often in that role in the first half, for the first time this season. It was a brilliant tactic that seemed to take Iowa State by surprise while taking pressure off Green.

Green settled in and never looked better than he did during that third-quarter touchdown drive in which he completed three third-down passes for first downs. The Huskers led 24-10. They seemed in control, finally. Ah, but iffy was the enduring Husker theme on this day.

Iffy might even describe Green's future as a quarterback, since Martinez clearly is entrenched, and more young guns will be arriving soon.

Would Green ever consider a position switch, perhaps to tight end?

"If it helped the team, I'm pretty sure I might," he said, upbeat as always.

LINK

cody green is a lot like ZL but on steroids... he is all about this school and this team.. however realisticly he isn't the best QB... that said he is willing to do whatever he can to help the team... instead of pouting and tranfering he always seems stoked... you have to admire that.....

cody green is a lot like ZL but on steroids... he is all about this school and this team.. however realisticly he isn't the best QB... that said he is willing to do whatever he can to help the team... instead of pouting and tranfering he always seems stoked... you have to admire that.....