Taylor Martinez

huskers1

T-Mart put in alot of time to get his arm angle up. In HS, it literally looked like he was throwing the ball out of his hip.

Still wish his motion was a bit higher and not as much like a side-arm MLB pitcher, but I guess he needs to do what is comfortable as well.

The one thing he does need to improve on is repeating the same motion on the run as he does inside the pocket. When he is on the move he goes back to his HS throwing motion, which is a bit of the reason why his throwing outside the pocket is hot garbage.

Now that you've seen Martinez in some games and using his arm, what's your take on him? I know you weren't impressed at the start of the season.

T-Mart put in alot of time to get his arm angle up. In HS, it literally looked like he was throwing the ball out of his hip.

Still wish his motion was a bit higher and not as much like a side-arm MLB pitcher, but I guess he needs to do what is comfortable as well.

The one thing he does need to improve on is repeating the same motion on the run as he does inside the pocket. When he is on the move he goes back to his HS throwing motion, which is a bit of the reason why his throwing outside the pocket is hot garbage.

Now that you've seen Martinez in some games and using his arm, what's your take on him? I know you weren't impressed at the start of the season.

Still have pretty much the same thought I had on him before. If he is forced to pass, he is a horrid QB. But if he has the ability to setup the run game so that teams have to lay off the WRs, he can make the easy throws, although it is pretty ugly at times.

Still struggles to lead receivers, which costs us yards. Tries to force throws in places he doesn't have the arm, or accuracy to make. Underthrows quite a few deep passes. Struggles making multiple reads. Very little feel of the rush inside the pocket, which has caused a few un-necessary sacks.

But even with all of that, he doesn't really need to be great or even good at any of it. All he needs is to be able to force teams to respect him as a runner, have his receivers beat 1-on-1 coverage, and throw a catchable ball. Does not have to be Peyton Manning-esque, just give the receiver a chance.

But I'm growing less tired of his passing, and I'm getting more aggravated with his inability to get away from contact. He needs to realize how to absorb contact (watch Chris Johnson footage) or how to simply get down. Even before the hit in the Mizzou game, Taylor was pretty banged up from all the hits he has taken this year. Those extra 2-3 yards he may get on a run while absorbing a hit are not as important as staying healthy throughout the year for your team.

Still have pretty much the same thought I had on him before. If he is forced to pass, he is a horrid QB. But if he has the ability to setup the run game so that teams have to lay off the WRs, he can make the easy throws, although it is pretty ugly at times.

Still struggles to lead receivers, which costs us yards. Tries to force throws in places he doesn't have the arm, or accuracy to make. Underthrows quite a few deep passes. Struggles making multiple reads. Very little feel of the rush inside the pocket, which has caused a few un-necessary sacks.

But even with all of that, he doesn't really need to be great or even good at any of it. All he needs is to be able to force teams to respect him as a runner, have his receivers beat 1-on-1 coverage, and throw a catchable ball. Does not have to be Peyton Manning-esque, just give the receiver a chance.

But I'm growing less tired of his passing, and I'm getting more aggravated with his inability to get away from contact. He needs to realize how to absorb contact (watch Chris Johnson footage) or how to simply get down. Even before the hit in the Mizzou game, Taylor was pretty banged up from all the hits he has taken this year. Those extra 2-3 yards he may get on a run while absorbing a hit are not as important as staying healthy throughout the year for your team.

Thanks for the candid response.

The one thing I've noticed is that his footwork in the pocket has gotten much better. Maybe his confidence is better, but he's setting his feet now; whereas before he looked jittery and danced around quite a bit. My main complaint has been his carrying the football out from his body and the subsequent fumbles.

Knapp, you really hate that Allen Iverson stuff, don't you? :P

Not so much. It was more a factor that it was taking over the thread. My choices were to move the entire thread to BS or remove those posts. I figured this was a worthy topic minus the off-topic stuff, so I moved those posts. If I truly "had it out for" the Iverson stuff, I'd have tossed them in the junk heap. The joke is humorous, and people are just having fun, so why not keep the posts?