WCO

As I read through the posts, seems like fans are pushing for two extremes. Some feel BC has destroyed the Huskers, others feel he is the savior of the program.

I think the real problem, aside from OOL (Oblivious Offensive Linemen), is the complexity of the WCO. A 500 lb playbook and 5 audibles at the line of scrimage is difficult enough for any one person to figure out, let alone trying to have 11 athletes figure it out simultaneously.

Is there any way to run a simplified WCO? I remember under Osborne, the offense used to have two different plays each time the team broke from the huddle. As the quarterback got under center, he would assess the defense, if the defense was lined up against the first play, he would audible, and the offense would then switch to the second play.

Is something like this possible with the WCO? I mean honestly, with athletes, like people in general, have a wide range of IQ's. And realistically, it is improbable that there will ever be 11 atheletes on the field, at the college level, that all simutaneously understand each play of WCO.

Finally, would a simplified WCO work? The WCO is designed with an infinite number of short and long passes, and running plays to exploit the defense no matter how they line up. Could a reasonable number of pass and run plays work to effectively exploit the defense? Rigth now, our WCO is so complex we aren't exploiting anything, as a matter of fact, we just seem to be running the same plays over and over again.

Wecome to the board! I haven't seen you post much. You ever make it to many games being in SD I assume?

At this point, with the OL, it's more about just blocking your man. Fundamentals, being quick on your feet. When you are head to head with a defensive tackle, you can throw the playbook out the window because at that moment it's about you and him. :)

From what I have seen, that's more of an issue at this point. That and catching the ball. Taylor could use some work on some of his throws, but overall I think he is throwing the ball well enough to drive the offense down the field.

As far as the plays being simplified, what Callahan has told us is that he has simplified the playbook since he showed up. I don't think the plays being called now are at all overly complicated. Sure, they a bit more complicated than option left, option right, but I don't think they much more complicated than what some high schools are running around the country. Probably not here in Nebraska, but definitely in places like Texas, Florida and California.

Sure - as with any offense, you can simplify it or make it more complex. For example, in the WCO you can reduce the number of options each receiver has depending on coverage. Instead of, say, three options per receiver, you can cut it back to two or even a single route. You can, also, run WCO plays that have fewer wideouts and always keeps more backs in the backfield. You can cut down on the number of plays to audible to depending on coverage. It's up to the coach to decide how much complexity his team can absorb.

As I read through the posts, seems like fans are pushing for two extremes. Some feel BC has destroyed the Huskers, others feel he is the savior of the program.

I think the real problem, aside from OOL (Oblivious Offensive Linemen), is the complexity of the WCO. A 500 lb playbook and 5 audibles at the line of scrimage is difficult enough for any one person to figure out, let alone trying to have 11 athletes figure it out simultaneously.

Is there any way to run a simplified WCO?

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think Cally has 'destroyed' the program, and I think I'D be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks he could be called a 'savior' at this point. Time will tell on both accords.

I think it is safe to say that part of the legacy BC leaves will be based on his ability to get his offense molded...

1) So that he understands the learning curve of the offense throughout player's 3 or 4 year careers (this, obviously, will take at least 3 or 4 years)

2) Read into how well each player individually understands the offense, and whether they haven't learned enough and shouldn't start, or that the player is too talented and offensive adjustments need to be made. (IMO, this is key, because there will ALWAYS be GREAT players who may not be able to understand big, complex offenses even if they had 10 years to learn it, and maybe 2nd stringers who grasp it easily but cannot produce the desired effect on the field due to less talent)

These two points will be important into what kind of college coach Callahan becomes, and how he adjusts the offense to both. But this will take a little more time than Cally has had so far.

Near the start of the WF game an announcer stated that Nebraska runs the WCO, just the same as USC. Yet I've read comments that Norm Chow does NOT run the WCO.

I've no doubt that BC has simplified his 8 lb playbook, but despite using the Cliff Notes version of the WCO we can't seem to execute the plays. I can't decide if its the OL, inexperienced WR & QB, poor play calling or what.... But someone who IS GETTING PAID TO FIGURE IT OUT BETTER COME UP WITH AN ANSWER PRETTY FAST!

Near the start of the WF game an announcer stated that Nebraska runs the WCO, just the same as USC. Yet I've read comments that Norm Chow does NOT run the WCO.

I've no doubt that BC has simplified his 8 lb playbook, but despite using the Cliff Notes version of the WCO we can't seem to execute the plays. I can't decide if its the OL, inexperienced WR & QB, poor play calling or what.... But someone who IS GETTING PAID TO FIGURE IT OUT BETTER COME UP WITH AN ANSWER PRETTY FAST!

"WCO" is an umbrella term that could encompass many teams. From what I understand, it's an offense that has many many formations that you can run or pass the ball out of. For example, you could have one formation you show the defense that you COULD run OR pass the ball out of. Someone please correct me if I am off base.

Near the start of the WF game an announcer stated that Nebraska runs the WCO, just the same as USC.  Yet I've read comments that Norm Chow does NOT run the WCO. 

I've no doubt that BC has simplified his 8 lb playbook, but despite using the Cliff Notes version of the WCO we can't seem to execute the plays.  I can't decide if its the OL, inexperienced WR & QB, poor play calling or what.... But someone who IS GETTING PAID TO FIGURE IT OUT BETTER COME UP WITH AN ANSWER PRETTY FAST!

"WCO" is an umbrella term that could encompass many teams. From what I understand, it's an offense that has many many formations that you can run or pass the ball out of. For example, you could have one formation you show the defense that you COULD run OR pass the ball out of. Someone please correct me if I am off base.

Well, the specific WCO--that is, the one that isn't an umbrella term--only has one formation. That's why it's not acctualy used anymore. Now a days you can call any offence that relies on short- to mid-yardage timing patterns out of multiple reciever sets as a West Coast Offence. One of the strengths of the WCO, like you said, is the balance it has out of all of it's formations. But the real meat of a WCO is that it's short-yardage, high-percentage pass plays and hot reads are interchangable with the run. That's why we pass on the 1 yard line and 3rd and short.

despite using the Cliff Notes version of the WCO we can't seem to execute the plays. I can't decide if its the OL, inexperienced WR & QB, poor play calling or what.

I think Illini is right on.

IMO we're doing ok "running" the WCO. There have been plays here and there that have been busted or shut down from the start, and some audibles and check downs have likely been missed. But so far I haven't seen any of the panicked throws or general confusion on the field that was so prevalent last year. It seems to me that the players on the field for the most part are on the same page.

However, I would say that we're indeed having some serious trouble "executing" the WCO in terms of OL play, catching balls, and making some cutbacks. To me it seems to be more of an execution/concentration problem so far, rather than an intelligence - grasping the concept- problem.

What do y'all think?

I think it's ridiculous to call an offense by name unless you are running the wishbone. From week to week I don't know what we are doing. On one possession we throw on every play, on the next we run every play. If anything right now it's the MCO (most confused offense). Whatever it is called it's not working right now and hopefully we will continue to see improvements.

However, I would say that we're indeed having some serious trouble "executing" the WCO in terms of OL play, catching balls, and making some cutbacks. To me it seems to be more of an execution/concentration problem so far, rather than an intelligence - grasping the concept- problem.

What do y'all think?

Absolutely, I completely agree. :thumbs

True that.

To the best of my limited knowledge, the thing that complicates the WCO is the routing of the receivers and backs the QB can do at the line as well as checking down the progression of receivers and calling situational audibles.

QB goes to the line, sees the coverage, calls an audible and shifts receivers, running backs and blocking schemes JIT. The ball is snapped, and then the QB hands off or cycles through the receivers till he finds the one he wants and fires away.

So, that's 3 points of decision making for the QB:

1. Reading the coverage/defense at the line

2. Calling an audible/routing receivers/sending men in motion

3. Picking the receiver and delivering the ball if it's a pass.

Normally, this is what any QB would/could do...however, this is then complicated by situational plays based on down and distance and other mitigating factors (like 1st down after a running play or 3rd down after a penalty, etc). So it's also not just calling a play, but calling the *right* play.

Then, this is further complicated by personell groups and formations trying to get mismatches.

There is a *ton* of stuff to a full WCO just in the mental game and memorization...and that's not even including team coordination and timing either!

IRISH!