The QB's

T_O_Bull

Cody Green would not be a bad quarterback if Shawn Watson built an entire game plan around Cody's strengths. Unfortunately, we have not seen this yet. Last year we saw glimpses, but the guy was a true freshman, that's tough and only a few can handle it. If Wats pulls his head out of his arse, forgets his "zone" offense, spreads the field a la 2008 and gives Cody some good situations that he can succeed in, we'll all be booking our rooms for Dallas come Friday night (if you haven't already).

I also agree with this. We've seen flashes from cody. He's no Taylor but he has the ability to make some plays through the air. Let's face it. Zac doesn't give us a big play run threat either. Cody made some nice throws last saturday.

i lol at everyone that thinks bo wont sh#t can watson.

Watson's inability to adjust mid-game infuriates me, but he's hardly the only problem. Cotton and Saunders are worse.

Saunders being mentioned as a problem is absolutely ridiculous! He has been key in the development of one of the best secondaries in the country. He is probably going to be a leading candidate to replace Carl if/when he moves on.

I'm going to assume that was a mistake and he meant to say Gilmore. Makes no sense to talk about the offense then call out a defensive coach.

Cody Green would not be a bad quarterback if Shawn Watson built an entire game plan around Cody's strengths. Unfortunately, we have not seen this yet. Last year we saw glimpses, but the guy was a true freshman, that's tough and only a few can handle it. If Wats pulls his head out of his arse, forgets his "zone" offense, spreads the field a la 2008 and gives Cody some good situations that he can succeed in, we'll all be booking our rooms for Dallas come Friday night (if you haven't already).

I also agree with this. We've seen flashes from cody. He's no Taylor but he has the ability to make some plays through the air. Let's face it. Zac doesn't give us a big play run threat either. Cody made some nice throws last saturday.

Codys strengths, running out of the spread, No zone read, he throws better on the run, not drop back. Good scrambler, just go look at his high school films.

if Wats play calls for Green like last week he is destined to fail....Wats is the real problem

Watson installed a game plan for Martinez, they repped during the week plays that Taylor would do well in. Taylor got hurt, and Cody and Watson took some time to get going, I thought Cody was settling down and playing well, but then we went back to Martinez.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Bo has little confidence in Cody, don't expect much this week. Bo will rely on his defense to win the came, and Cody and Watson won't get a chance to show what could be done.

And that's why it wouldn't shock me to see Watson leave after this year.

Good info, jliehr.

I have been wondering if all Green needs is a little more rope and faith. The way he's performed in game has been a problem but at the same time, you wonder if those problems are a reflection, in part, of how he is being handled.

I did think we saw some passes and relatively few zone reads with Green in the last game, but I don't have any numbers handy, so I don't know. I hope we don't run a lot of those, because it seems to be a fumble risk and something that would rely on lateral speed he doesn't have.

So after reading this, I'm assuming that it's not Green, it's a rift between Bo and Wats?

I wouldn't go that far, Watson is doing what Bo tells him to do. The game plans we moved to this year were to take advantage of Taylor's running ability. Barney's line schemes, Watson's play calling and just about every facet of the offense was geared towards a run oriented offense we didn't have a backup that was suited to run that when Taylor got hurt. It's awful hard to completely switch gears and continue to be productive when that happened. People think that offense should be like an XBOX game, where you can pick any play and formation and the guys magically know how to execute it, timing is always the same so on and so forth. It's not that easy in real life, and while it would have been great to develop "depth" by splitting reps more, that's rough to do when you have a RS frosh that you have to get up to speed in a hurry.

Watson has done a fantastic job given what he had to work with, namely 2 QB's that very few other schools thought could play QB and Lee that just can't stay healthy and doesn't fit what the HEAD coach wants to do. Cody was brought in to run our Joe Ganz style offense, with a little more run mixed in. Taylor impressed Bo, so he wanted to move to what we look like today despite a lack of depth.

Is Watson perfect? Absolutely not. Does he get unfair criticism by people who can score 50 on a video game and think that it's easy to do it in real life? Definitely.

Oh yeah, SW has been fantastic the last couple of years. :facepalm:

It was Bo's call over SW to start Tmart and that's been the only offense we've had since Ganz left. So Tmart got hurt in the Missou game and since then we have...."nothing" (2009). The results show without a doubt that Bo was right. When healthy, even as a freshman, Tmart has accomplished things that Lee or Green could only dream about hacking....and what a wild, wet dream indeed it would have to be.

Even if SW would have started Lee this year what depth difference would there be?

Lastly, SW has completely changed the offense half-way through the season before this year. With Bo's call for Tmart to start he had all of fall camp to prepare which is a much easier scenario for him.

Hey, I agree SW is not stupid. He simply is what he is....hopelessly average. Not pathetic, not genius, average. His career numbers show that quite clearly. Give him a lot of great players and he'll look as good as anyone. Give him some gaping holes and his offense is 2009 & now. That has been his signiture for many years. He is not going to develop some procedure where one great performing qb after another excels (Leech).

So when the chips are down, as they again now, our offense will sink like the Titantic. Thank goodness we still have Alex for two or three more games.

i lol at everyone that thinks bo wont sh#t can watson.

Watson's inability to adjust mid-game infuriates me, but he's hardly the only problem. Cotton and Saunders are worse.

Saunders being mentioned as a problem is absolutely ridiculous! He has been key in the development of one of the best secondaries in the country. He is probably going to be a leading candidate to replace Carl if/when he moves on.

Haha and that's why I shouldn't post at 3 in the morning. I meant to say Gilmore.

if Wats play calls for Green like last week he is destined to fail....Wats is the real problem

Watson installed a game plan for Martinez, they repped during the week plays that Taylor would do well in. Taylor got hurt, and Cody and Watson took some time to get going, I thought Cody was settling down and playing well, but then we went back to Martinez.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Bo has little confidence in Cody, don't expect much this week. Bo will rely on his defense to win the came, and Cody and Watson won't get a chance to show what could be done.

Good info, jliehr.

I have been wondering if all Green needs is a little more rope and faith. The way he's performed in game has been a problem but at the same time, you wonder if those problems are a reflection, in part, of how he is being handled.

I did think we saw some passes and relatively few zone reads with Green in the last game, but I don't have any numbers handy, so I don't know. I hope we don't run a lot of those, because it seems to be a fumble risk and something that would rely on lateral speed he doesn't have.

So after reading this, I'm assuming that it's not Green, it's a rift between Bo and Wats?

I wouldn't go that far, Watson is doing what Bo tells him to do. The game plans we moved to this year were to take advantage of Taylor's running ability. Barney's line schemes, Watson's play calling and just about every facet of the offense was geared towards a run oriented offense we didn't have a backup that was suited to run that when Taylor got hurt. It's awful hard to completely switch gears and continue to be productive when that happened. People think that offense should be like an XBOX game, where you can pick any play and formation and the guys magically know how to execute it, timing is always the same so on and so forth. It's not that easy in real life, and while it would have been great to develop "depth" by splitting reps more, that's rough to do when you have a RS frosh that you have to get up to speed in a hurry.

Watson has done a fantastic job given what he had to work with, namely 2 QB's that very few other schools thought could play QB and Lee that just can't stay healthy and doesn't fit what the HEAD coach wants to do. Cody was brought in to run our Joe Ganz style offense, with a little more run mixed in. Taylor impressed Bo, so he wanted to move to what we look like today despite a lack of depth.

Is Watson perfect? Absolutely not. Does he get unfair criticism by people who can score 50 on a video game and think that it's easy to do it in real life? Definitely.

It was Bo's call over SW to start Tmart and that's been the only offense we've had since Ganz left. So Tmart got hurt in the Missou game and since then we have...."nothing" (2009). The results show without a doubt that Bo was right. When healthy, even as a freshman, Tmart has accomplished things that Lee or Green could only dream about hacking....and what a wild, wet dream indeed it would have to be.

Even if SW would have started Lee this year what depth difference would there be?

Lastly, SW has completely changed the offense half-way through the season before this year. With Bo's call for Tmart to start he had all of fall camp to prepare which is a much easier scenario for him.

Hey, I agree SW is not stupid. He simply is what he is....hopelessly average. Not pathetic, not genius, average. His career numbers show that quite clearly. Give him a lot of great players and he'll look as good as anyone. Give him some gaping holes and his offense is 2009 & now. That has been his signiture for many years. He is not going to develop some procedure where one great performing qb after another excels (Leech).

So when the chips are down, as they again now, our offense will sink like the Titantic. Thank goodness we still have Alex for two or three more games.

This is Watson's third year as a true OC. At CU he didn't call many plays, under Callahan he didn't call many plays. In those 3 years he had a good offense in 2008, a bad offense in 2009 and a great offense in 2010 until Taylor got hurt.

Good info, jliehr.

This is Watson's third year as a true OC. At CU he didn't call many plays, under Callahan he didn't call many plays. In those 3 years he had a good offense in 2008, a bad offense in 2009 and a great offense in 2010 until Taylor got hurt.

Watson never seems to overcome anything......he is average and no better than that!

Starting Cody Green is the most interesting move NU has made this season. Why was Taylor Martinez healthy enough to enter the game hobbled in the second half at ATM and now he is not healthy enough to start? Is Martinez in Bo's dog house or is he injured? What about Zac Lee, I understand he was throwing this week. Has Cody Green done enough to move ahead of Zac Lee since the Missouri game? Cody Green is going to start the game, how long does he last as QB in the game?

Oh, the drama. What will happen tomorrow?

Zac is still hurt and I don't know how much he is really throwing. Taylor seems like he's being punished right now. Deservedly.

I really think there are offensive adjustments, just like there are defensive adjustments, but really they are smaller and less visible than most people notice unless some expert points them out. Since I'm not one, I should shut up about that for now.

Good info, jliehr.

Watson never seems to overcome anything......he is average and no better than that!

He got handed a freshman quarterback and new scheme in Mid August, along with a freshman at LT, new starter at C, two new tight-ends. And all he did was have one of the top offenses in the country until Martinez got hurt. What a loser!

• Fire 1

He got handed a freshman quarterback and new scheme in Mid August, along with a freshman at LT, new starter at C, two new tight-ends. And all he did was have one of the top offenses in the country until Martinez got hurt. What a loser!

I'll give you the new left tackle, and the new center. But Ben Cotton saw playing time last year, and it was a staff decision to move McNeill away from TE, which hurt depth once Dreu Young got hurt. And that freshman QB has BEEN the offense. Without him, our offense has been flat out bad, so it's tough for me to pretend that he's a liability. This also wasn't a new scheme in August. Maybe last December it was new, maybe.

On the other hand, if having to replace two offensive linemen is our excuse for having god-awful offensive performances 11 games into the season, maybe we should start looking for some new coaches.

It is much easier to be critical of an offensive cord as opposed to a defensive cord. Every one of us can watch a game and say well that play didnt work, while it is much more difficult to say why a deffensive call didnt work. That's the game of football, and offensive coordinators every where get killed when things dont work. Im not sticking up for Wats, but I dont think he's done a bad job either.