Why Does Our Team Suck!!!

mcrooks7

it will take more than Beck, alhtough he will eventually help, what we need is some athletes on the O line..........won't see that until next year or the year after.......

hunter

Which brings me back to the point we all pretty much agreed on; it will take a couple of years for Nebraska to return to what it was.

I think everyone expects too much from them right now. Again, they are still learning a new offense and each others skill positions.

I wonder what type of leadership on the field Taylor brings to the huddle? If I was lining up on the 3 yard line I would be in there saying "this thing is going across the endzone now!" "NOW LET"S DO THIS!"

Enthusiasm seems somewhat flat to me on offense. Now defense is another story.

I think the O needs a couple of great plays to break the ice and get some sort of momentum rolling.

Like was said by the announcers, and this is probably the first time i've thought musberger said something intelligent, it seems on offense we don't really have anyone to put out there who scares the opposing defense.

Its nice to have a quarterback who can make a read and a throw, and Taylor made the two biggest plays for the offense, both diving into the end zone and then later diving out of it, but he hasn't looked like a superstar.

I personally thought if the receivers were ever going to have a big day it was saturday. they were left in man converage for a good portion of the game and they just didn't get open. You can blame the protection, or that the routes took too long, but come on, no one really beat their man except for the one play to Nunn. I thought sooner or later one of them would step up and make a play.

I won't even talk about our TEs. It appears that not only are they lacking talent but also a fully functional brain. Seriously, we learned how to line up on the LOS back in JV.

Our O-line struggled again, and the tough part about that is that it takes a year or two longer to restock the O-line than it does to reload other positions. I'm not sure what happened to those guys after last season.

Ross ran hard and to his credit he's been the heart and soul of the offense. But Pitt had a freshman with the speed to outrun our D to the corner and Ross either didn't make those cuts or doesn't have that speed. He's the man for our team, but he might be one of those players who looks like a superstar simply because he's on a team with no talent around him.

Again, patience is needed because as we saw on Sat. the horses just aren't there. The announcers were complaining the whole second half about how we stuck with the 2 tight ends and weren't getting anything out of it. Sticking to just a few formations makes me think the offense is being simplified. Due to the controversy of the coaching changes and the losing season too many people automatically blame the coaches and their complicated pro-style offense. I'm afraid the sad fact is that the cupboards are awfully bare and switching offensive styles at this point would be like switching from a skateboard to a scooter to try and win a drag race.

If there's any reason for optimism so far this year, it would be that last year we all recognized we needed a quarterback and a defense with some heart. I feel we've addressed those two problems pretty well so far. This year we can see already we need some stud wr's and a nasty o-line. Instead of being a player or two away from being a killer team like we were in the past we're an entire UNIT or two away. It sucks, but more patience is needed.

Huskerstag - you seem to imply that the only way we can develop a good offensive team is when NU gets lots and lots of new talented players. IMO that good coaches use the talent they have and develop it to the max. TO's champion teams came from recruiting classes that were not rated amoung the top colleges. Somehow the players developed into superstars.

If the only way we can win is 2 or 3 back-to-back years of super recruits, then I submit it will never happen. HS stars will look at the program and ask themselves - "why should I join a team than can't win with superstars from the past 1 or 2 years?"

Moreover, "why should I join a team that doesn't play the HS superstars anyway?"

Bottom line - I believe this is a make-or-break year for NU. The credibility of the whole program is on the line!

I really. really really hope that the offense gets untracked and starts to play up to the potential that I think is there!

GBR

Bottom line - I believe this is a make-or-break year for NU.  The credibility of the whole program is on the line!

I disagree with this statement. Look how many years OU was in the dumps before they resurfaced as a powerhouse in college football.

Do you think the Penn State fans feel the same way because Joe doesn't step down?

When people think of great college teams they think of (to name a few), the Michigan’s, the Ohio States, the Penn States, most certainly the Florida teams and, of course, Nebraska.

Tradition isn't something that just gets swept off the radar screen because of a few bad seasons. Tradition and excellence lives on through the fans of Nebraska Football and the players that made it possible throughout the years.

It was what, 23 years from the time Nebraska won a National Championship in 71' until they rose to prominence again and went 3 for 4 from 94' to 97'.

I remember where I was when Nebraska won all three of those championships...and it wasn't in the state of Nebraska.

If it takes NU another 23 years to do it again so be it.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

The "team" does not suck.

I do not agree with that

The offense is rather ineffective, and self destructive.

The D is decent, above decent, and is the strongsuite of the team

The special teams can be very good.

To win in this year, the offensive coaches will have to revise their teaching/implementing strategy. The players must execute properly, and give it all on every game.

The team, though, does not suck. The major thing right now, for us getting Ws in my opinion, is modifying our offense, our version of the "WCO" to get points on the board, time for our great Defense to rest, and not need 84 yard punts to win games.

THe liability is the offense, imo.

The coaches have two weeks before the offense causes us another loss.

In the big picture, though, I think we'll be fine.

BC is smart enougu to adapt, and I think he will, or SP will do something about it. Players will come, learn, and get better.

This year..... this year is a year where........

where I believe that success in this current season will be sacrificed for success in the future

but the payoff will be well, well, worth it.

National Championships, in my opinion, depend more on the year or so before it, rather than the immediate 4 months in which the games are played.

Essentially, it's the Art of War

B)

(as in, the championship is won, the games are won, the points are scored, the plays executed, well before they happen on the game day. The current season is almost "decided)

But the thing about football, other sports too, is that on any given day, a surge, a force can be made. Pride can hold, and emotion can elevate. There are.... fluctuations.....

But sheer discipline, execution, efficiency, competence, ability, and aptitude..... those things are the main ingredients, and those things are taken care of long before the games are won or lost. That is what I meant with my reference to the 'art of war.'

Our team does not stink but our offense is struggling right now so lets all be good fans and bash them!

Offensively I think the run block improved but Taylor needs to learn to risk more. Do I miss our turnover ratio from Dailey last year? No! But come on Cally air it out let the system work for itself. Sure our WR core is not the greatest but Taylor throws a great ball. We went deep less this game then any before and see what it got us. Taylor throw deep and throw often. Also chunk it to the guy that has a chance at the first no the WR at the line of scrimmage so far out of position for the first.

Well boys this is a turning point. We have two weeks! Two weeks! To rally behind our team and hope with every hope a fan has that the O will improve and play to it strenghs. We have talent, we have depth now lets pull it together and take the North this year!

TT worriers lets concentrate on Iowa St. FIRST. Lets beat Northern teams this year and worry about the South next year. I think we all got too hyped about this year but Hell we are fans and we love our team so what else are we supposed to do. Lets squeak out with a winning record and compete in a bowl game and recruit another top class and call it at that!

That isnt bad folks us winning 6 this season is possible and should be encouraged! Those that thought we would dominate all teams and win championships forget it! That time will come but lets make it through this season, if you dont like the direction this team is taking, guess what....there are like 117 other Div I-A teams to follow so enjoy! We will see you guys back when we are on top, cause all you ever were was a fair-weather fan to us! Theses are the trying times this is when you stick with your team good or bad. Cally will stay as long as improvement continues so for those that dont like it sell your tickets to "real" fans!

I would much rather say our fans suck then our team! Cause thats what I heard in our stadium Saturday. Boos from losers that couldnt play pop-warner football when they were kids. Enjoy your pepsi and dont forget to chew your Runza otherwise there might be another season ticket open after you fat mouth finally chokes dedhoarse

Our team does not stink but our offense is struggling right now so lets all be good fans and bash them!

Offensively I think the run block improved but Taylor needs to learn to risk more. Do I miss our turnover ratio from Dailey last year? No! But come on Cally air it out let the system work for itself. Sure our WR core is not the greatest but Taylor throws a great ball. We went deep less this game then any before and see what it got us. Taylor throw deep and throw often. Also chunk it to the guy that has a chance at the first no the WR at the line of scrimmage so far out of position for the first.

Well boys this is a turning point. We have two weeks! Two weeks! To rally behind our team and hope with every hope a fan has that the O will improve and play to it strenghs. We have talent, we have depth now lets pull it together and take the North this year!

TT worriers lets concentrate on Iowa St. FIRST. Lets beat Northern teams this year and worry about the South next year. I think we all got too hyped about this year but Hell we are fans and we love our team so what else are we supposed to do. Lets squeak out with a winning record and compete in a bowl game and recruit another top class and call it at that!

That isnt bad folks us winning 6 this season is possible and should be encouraged! Those that thought we would dominate all teams and win championships forget it! That time will come but lets make it through this season, if you dont like the direction this team is taking, guess what....there are like 117 other Div I-A teams to follow so enjoy! We will see you guys back when we are on top, cause all you ever were was a fair-weather fan to us! Theses are the trying times this is when you stick with your team good or bad. Cally will stay as long as improvement continues so for those that dont like it sell your tickets to "real" fans!

I would much rather say our fans suck then our team! Cause thats what I heard in our stadium Saturday. Boos from losers that couldnt play pop-warner football when they were kids. Enjoy your pepsi and dont forget to chew your Runza otherwise there might be another season ticket open after you fat mouth finally chokes dedhoarse

My my you are angry. I don't believe there is any need for personal attacks. The members who are posting here are not being bad, nor even fairweather, fans. If you have a bone to pick it would be with me, as I was the one who named this little section, so you might be mad at me. Please look some two posts above yours and you will see that I apologize about naming the section what it is. My reaction was simply out of pure frustration after watching the depressing victory over Pitt this past weekend. I believe that others would agree that there was some reason for a bit of malaise, yes? Thus, don't call us fair-weathered fans, or say that we are not in support of this team. If anything we are simply stating what we feel to be obvious, even in your mind, as is evidenced from your post: something must be done to improve this team that has a potential to be much better than they are looking right now. My personal take is that the O-line combined with some poor use of the WCO is causing this current downslide into mediocrity. Look over our posts, and realize that we are not fair-weather fans at all. I go to school at KU, and have for several years, during the Mangino climb, as the Huskers have descended further and further into mediocrity. While my other former Husker bretheren have shirked their team in favor of their school. I have remained true to the Huskers through all this up to this point, I believe I will continue to do so until I shake off this mortal coil. A Husker from birth to death. :horns2 I just want to see our team reach the full potential I think they have for this year. Let next year be next year, let's improve this year while we still can.

Go Huskers! :thumbs