Missouri Co-North Big 12 Champs?

husker_99

Nebraska 5-0 (in Big 12 North play)

Missouri 4-1 (in Big 12 North play)

How can there be division co-champions win you have only 1 team that is undefeated in division play? Doesn't make any sense to me. I could see if there were they were both 4-1 in the division, but that is not the case this year.

In the immortal words of Duncan MacLeod "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE"!!!!

cause it goes by overall conference record.

I have to wonder how long some of you have been paying attention to football in this conference with the sudden indignation over "co-division champions." There have been 9 co-champions in the north or south before this season, and it could be 12 tonight if OU wins. Three (2000, 2001 & 2008) of our north division titles were shared (with KSU, CU & MU respectively) when we did not represent the division in the CCG because we lost the tie break.

• Fire 1

I have to wonder how long some of you have been paying attention to football in this conference with the sudden indignation over "co-division champions." There have been 9 co-champions in the north or south before this season, and it could be 12 tonight if OU wins. Three (2000, 2001 & 2008) of our north division titles were shared (with KSU, CU & MU respectively) when we did not represent the division in the CCG because we lost the tie break.

this is the first time i've heard of it. im not trying to be husker biased, i just dont think that this should be possible. it's not logical. you shouldnt have a trophy or co-champion title unless you play in the title game

• Fire 1

this is the first time i've heard of it. im not trying to be husker biased, i just dont think that this should be possible. it's not logical. you shouldnt have a trophy or co-champion title unless you play in the title game

It's just semantics, really. If Missouri gets a trophy, I guess that's nice for them, but if they aren't delusional they realize they don't deserve it and aren't truly champions. Who cares? :)

On a side note, I didn't know that the Big XII actually gave out divisional trophies. I thought the one in 2006 was Bill Callahan's idea and it was just something that the university had made on their own.

It's just semantics, really. If Missouri gets a trophy, I guess that's nice for them, but if they aren't delusional they realize they don't deserve it and aren't truly champions. Who cares? :)

On a side note, I didn't know that the Big XII actually gave out divisional trophies. I thought the one in 2006 was Bill Callahan's idea and it was just something that the university had made on their own.

http://livewire.missouri.edu/2008/11/21/big12_trophy.jpg

thats what it looks like. i believe they're the same for both the north and south, considering all 12 teams seem to be represented on the trophy

I remember in '08 us being label as co division champs, but i dont recall a trophy ever actually being presented to the team. I do remember ISU being co division champs in '04 and they made a big deal about it. I think the trophy is new thing they started prob when Texas was co division champs at some point.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason we shared the Big 12 North champs with Missouri in 08 is because they lost to Kansas at the end of the season. We lost to Mizzou in the north and they lost to Kansas. We both were 4-1 against the North teams.

We shouldn't be Big 12 Co-Champs this year with Mizzou because we beat everybody in the Big 12 north this year where they didn't.

So if Oklahoma wins tonight, will they give Oklahoma State a co-champ trophy after the game is over? I think they should have a ceremony on the field congratulating both teams, and giving each team a trophy. It'll be like kindergarten t-ball, everyone wins!

they would have to include T A&M as well. Half of the division is CO-Big 12 south champions LOL. But honestly Mizzou does deserve some credit, they may not be North champs, but they have 10 regular season wins 2 out of the last 4 years. I don't like them but I'll give credit where its due.

The trophy given to Mizzou was the Lamar Hunt trophy. Has nothing to do with the B12. The drum trophy is between the schools, the trophy Clark Hunt presented is given to the MU/KU winner at Arrowhead. I don't think there is a co-champion trophy, or even a North-South trophy. Just the trophy for winning the conference.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason we shared the Big 12 North champs with Missouri in 08 is because they lost to Kansas at the end of the season. We lost to Mizzou in the north and they lost to Kansas. We both were 4-1 against the North teams.

We shouldn't be Big 12 Co-Champs this year with Mizzou because we beat everybody in the Big 12 north this year where they didn't.

they dont take north and south records into consideration

its just your overall B12 record

As BornRed said, It doesn't matter what a team does against their division. What matters is their overall Big-12 record. We share the title with them, then and now, because we we have had the same overall conference records. If OU wins tonight, there will be a 3-way tie for the south title, meaning we'll have 5 teams out of 12 claiming a division title. Silly? Sure, but that's the way it's been since 1996.

I'm not saying it's right or ideal, nor am I defending it. It's just that this is the way it is. I just find some of the new-found righteous indignation over something as old and dumb as this to be funny. I don't think we were complaining much for the 3 division titles we claim, even though we didn't represent the north at the CCG during those years.