Random questions

JTrain

1. Aflac trivia question: When was the last decade Nebraska didn't win a conference title? The announcers said they asked this because this was our last chance to win one this decade. I'm pretty sure this isn't correct. A decade starts 0 and ends with 9, so 2010 is the start of a new decade ("the 2010s"). So the answer should have been the 2000s (2000-2009) instead of the 1950s, right?

2. Who was the guy in the winter hat, standing next to Niles Paul, that Bo said something to after the Burkhead to Kinnie touchdown?

I guess they think we won one last year ;) Haha...

I didn't see the Crick personal foul either but thought I'd add a few questions of my own.

Two occasions, once early and once later in the game, we saw a formation that had three guys coming in motion pre-snap from one side of the formation to the other. Haven't seen this before this year and reminds me of Jay Norvell's time at OC sort of. Thought it was interesting.

On the throw to Gilleylen that was nearly a TD (not his fault there - great defending), we had stacked receivers on each side, also not sure if we've used that a lot but I could be wrong here. We also showed some creative plays out of the Wildcat, again with the back going in motion across the field. Wondering if these are new wrinkles or stuff I've missed from previous games.

When we run the wildcat with Burkhead we need to give the ball to Marlowe sometimes. Most of the time the defense never even looks to see if he has the ball. I think if he can get around the edge he could pick up some valuable yards with his kind of speed.

We did that at least once, early on in the year, IIRC.

I guess they think we won one last year ;) Haha...

I didn't see the Crick personal foul either but thought I'd add a few questions of my own.

Two occasions, once early and once later in the game, we saw a formation that had three guys coming in motion pre-snap from one side of the formation to the other. Haven't seen this before this year and reminds me of Jay Norvell's time at OC sort of. Thought it was interesting.

On the throw to Gilleylen that was nearly a TD (not his fault there - great defending), we had stacked receivers on each side, also not sure if we've used that a lot but I could be wrong here. We also showed some creative plays out of the Wildcat, again with the back going in motion across the field. Wondering if these are new wrinkles or stuff I've missed from previous games.

The massive shifts pre-snap is something they did in the Kansas game a few times as well. Also found it strange and reminiscent of the Callahan days. I think we could do without it until we can get the false starts taken care of.

When we run the wildcat with Burkhead we need to give the ball to Marlowe sometimes. Most of the time the defense never even looks to see if he has the ball. I think if he can get around the edge he could pick up some valuable yards with his kind of speed.

Yeah, I have no idea why there was no flag on that.

From what I saw in the stadium Gilleylens catch should have been a TD he caught two feet in bounds down to the ground then the defender ripped it out.

No it wasn't a catch. The receiver must maintain possession of the ball to the ground even if he is out of bounds. This is the same as Kinnie's non TD catch in the CCG last year.

Maybe I can provide some insight..

These are some of the few remnants remaining from the Callahan era. We had a ton of this in '05 and '06, and still a fair share in '07 and '08. The play you're referring to specifically, with the three receivers/tight ends shifting from one side of the formation to the other, is how we set up our outside pitch plays, nearly every time from what I can see (we don't run the pitch very often, however). Similarly, they do that same motion on the halfback pass play, which is the exact same play we saw in '05 vs. Oklahoma, '06 vs. Texas, '07 vs. Iowa State, etc.

I believe this too is from the Callahan WCO passing schemes. We've run this formation a few times in the past, our favorite play off of it is having the left-most outside receiver "pick off" the defender of the guy lined up inside of him, and the inside man just runs to the back corner and the quarterback throws it up. Swift had a number of touchdowns with this play, always inside the 5 yard line.

From what I saw in the stadium Gilleylens catch should have been a TD he caught two feet in bounds down to the ground then the defender ripped it out.

No it wasn't a catch. The receiver must maintain possession of the ball to the ground even if he is out of bounds. This is the same as Kinnie's non TD catch in the CCG last year.

Maybe you're thinking of Meno Holt's catch against Va Tech? Kinnie's catch in the CCG was incomplete because he didn't get a foot down in bounds, wasn't even close. Meno had a catch in the Va Tech game where he caught it, but while rolling (already out of bounds), dropped/let go of it.

here is my burning question: where in the hell was the halfback pass against texass and aggy??? you've got to be kidding me if watson kept that in the bag until Puff week. maybe he does need to move on.

The interview I saw with Watson indicated that they just put that in this week

Shame on them, then. As I said above, that is the exact same Bill Callahan style halfback pass we've been running a few times since 2005 (maybe 2004). We've had it available, but apparently didn't implement it until this year. Don't understand that.