Big 12 crowd humming ‘Boomer Sooner' after Nebraska's behavior

Let me parlay this with Tramel is an asshat 99% of the time regardless of who he's writing about so take this article FWIW. I've also witnessed some of this mentality here in OK. A lot of fans (OSU fans particularly) who otherwise would cheer on Nebraska, have started to cheer OU in hopes of keeping NU from winning. Tends to add credence that it definitly is NU vs Big 12 this coming weekend.

newsok.com

The Sooner Schooner gets crowded this week. Covered wagon? Bandwagon is more like it.

Oklahoma football, the terror of Middle America since, oh, about 1948, is the sentimental favorite in the Big 12 Championship Game. The people's choice.

OU plays Nebraska on Saturday night in Jerry Jones' Arlington spaceship, and fans from Waterloo, Iowa, to Alpine, Texas, will take crimson over scarlet. Will pull for the Big Red South over the Big Red North.

And Big 12 administrators, who outwardly will display all the proper decorum, will be humming Boomer Sooner under their breath.

Such is the fractured relationship of Nebraska and its soon-to-be ex-league, you couldn't blame Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe for telling the Cornhuskers, don't leave, just leave mad.

Corn Country is outraged that Beebe — nor anyone from the Big 12 office — showed up in Lincoln for the Nebraska-Colorado game Friday.

Beebe was honest about why he didn't go to Nebraska. He feared for his safety.

I talked to Beebe in the Boone Pickens press box Saturday night, and he said he had received enough threats from Nebraska fans — over the 2009 title game controversy, over his suspension of NU's Eric Martin for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Oklahoma State, over the officiating in the Nebraska-Texas A&M game two weeks ago — that he was advised to steer clear of Lincoln.

Now the Huskers consider it an affront that no one bothered to conduct a trophy presentation for the Big 12's North division title.

Never mind that Nebraska only tied for the North title, with Missouri. Never mind that most of us out here in reality land didn't even know they hand out divisional football trophies. OU's now been to eight Big 12 title games, and I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a single division title ceremony.

Turns out there is a trophy, and sometimes even a presentation, but nobody in a precinct like Norman or Austin, or you would think Lincoln, gets excited about such pomp.

I don't think Nebraska's football standards have fallen so low that the Huskers prize a We-Beat-Mizzou piece of hardware. I just think a once-solid fan base has lost its collective mind.

Nebraskans have resorted to bloodlust over their exodus to the Big Ten. They've demonized the Longhorns. Called the rest of the league rubes for staying aligned with UT.

Hey, Huskers. The Big Ten is a great conference that offers lots of money and lots of intriguing competition. Nobody blames you for going.

We blame you for losing your class.

Last November, one calendar year, I wrote a column with a banner headline: “Why can't every place be like Lincoln?”

I applauded Nebraska's commitment to hospitality and courtesy and a stadium experience the way it ought to be.

What happened to those people? Now Nebraska seems inhabited by a bunch of kooks who frighten off Beebe, an ex-NCAA investigator, and fire off uncouth e-mails like they're from Louisiana or somewhere.

And Husker coach Bo Pelini has gone raving mad, receiving a rebuke from his own chancellor, Harvey Perlman, after accosting an official after the A&M game.

The truth is, no one in Big 12 country was excited about Nebraska winning the football championship in its last year in the league. Now it's become a crusade; keep the Huskers 0-for-the-21st century in trophies that really matter.

The Sooners haven't fostered a lot of goodwill over the years, running roughshod (with the Huskers) over the Big Eight for decades, then dominating the Texas schools the last decade.

But OU popularity soars this week. In Iowa and Kansas and Missouri, even in all those Dairy Queen towns south of the Red River, they're chanting in unison.

Go Big Red.

Of the South.

Read more: http://newsok.com/big-12-crowd-humming-boomer-sooner-after-nebraskas-behavior/article/3518911#ixzz16gLxZO2M

Everyone left in the big 12 is so bitter, but it's to be expected as the conference has 3 years left tops. Isn't its funny how a person can rationalized any opinion based on one's own environment? I would like to know how those outside of the b12 area view the total b12 hose job of Nebraska This writer is biased

Such is the fractured relationship of Nebraska and its soon-to-be ex-league, you couldn't blame Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe for telling the Cornhuskers, don't leave, just leave mad.

Doesn't he mean, don't leave mad, just leave? Did this hack even bother to have someone proofread this garbage?

This is what is commonly called a Freudian Slip

when will people figure it out? we are the same people we have always been. WE HAVENT CHANGED. its just a simple matter that when we get treated like ben cotton at the bottom of the pile we get upset. Just because we are hospitable doesnt mean we are going to let people walk all over us. We still have some pride you know.

that being said death threats are not OK, but I have my doubts that they recieved that many(if any) from us. seems like Beebe it hitting below the belt once again.

We blame you for losing your class.

Last November, one calendar year, I wrote a column with a banner headline: “Why can't every place be like Lincoln?”

I applauded Nebraska's commitment to hospitality and courtesy and a stadium experience the way it ought to be.

What happened to those people? Now Nebraska seems inhabited by a bunch of kooks who frighten off Beebe, an ex-NCAA investigator, and fire off uncouth e-mails like they're from Louisiana or somewhere.

Don't you just love when the mistakes of those few in the minority cause every other fan base and media to think the entire Husker Nation should be held responsible?

Blah, Blah, Blah... get ready Husker fans, this is what the media wants to get it to this weekend. They would love nothing more than to try to tarnish the rep of NU and its fans. I would bet we see many more of these articles, the best thing to do is not keep stepping on their flaming bags of poo. They want to see how many more they can leave on our doorstep before we all blow up again! It is sad that very few will point out that the last Big 12 championship game is between one of college footballs biggest rivals to end it all...