3rd down battle

Oklahoma’s 214 attempts on 3rd down is more then any team in the country. They have converted 101 times at a 47.20% clip. FWIW: Nebraska has attempted 161 and converted 71 at a 44.10% clip.

Nebraska’s defense has faced 176 3rd downs and opponents have converted 55 times at a 31.25% clip. FWIW: Oklahoma has faced 201 and the opponents have converted 70 at a 34.83% clip.

My point being that Oklahoma faces 3rd down an average of 18 times a game and converts 8 of those. Nebraska’s defense only gives up 4.5 conversions a game. If we hold OU to that 4.5 knocking off almost 4 extra sets of downs we will be in really good shape.

I wonder if the 31.25% we've allowed includes penalties we've committed on 3rd downs to keep drives alive. I know for a fact 23 of the last 26 points our D has allowed (6 of aTm's 9 points, and all of 17 of CU's) have been on drives that a defensive penalty on 3rd down has kept the drive alive.

For as mistake-prone as our O-line has been this year, our D has committed some very costly penalties as well, especially in the last 2 games. That's a trend we need to stop dead in its tracks this game because there are few offenses as opportunistic as OU.

I saw your thread title and was going to comment that it seems like even with our anemic offense our third down percentage is consistently better than our opponents'. A&M only converted 5 of 15 and how many of those were from bullcrap penalites?

2 for sure, and maybe even 3. Osborne's late hit, Dennard's PI and I think Osborne's PI. Geez, we would've held aTm to 3 points and only 3 3rd conversions if not for those 1st 2 (questionable) calls. Now that's saying something.