FBS Coaches Salaries

mmmtodd

:starUSA Today Article and Pay Table :star

things that caught my eye...

Obviously, Mack Brown makin' a cool million per win this year.

Nebraska past opponent Arkansas State's Steve Roberts has the lowest base salary on the list: 140,000. He has an abnormally high ratio of non-university compensation that brings his total to over 223,000 though.

June Jones is making more at SMU than Bo Pelini is at Nebraska.

Wake Forest's Jim Grobe makes 2.9 million a year??? I bet his agent is popular.

While West Virginia's Bill Stewart makes 900,000. That one is a head scratcher to me overall.

Frankie Solich pullin in 460,000 a year at Ohio.

Turner Gill in his first year at KU is making as much as Bo.

crazy, huh?

i think a lot of it has to do with how much they were already paying mangino before they fired him. set a precedent. coaching salaries dont seem to be something that ever really goes down.

Mangino signed a deal in 2008 after KU's BCS game that paid him 2.8 million per. Kansas got big time fever.

Good Lord Saban makes a lot in "non-university compensation"

even crazier? NC State's Tom O'Brien- $887,500 in "non-university compensation," 50,000 more than Saban and a couple hundred grand more than his own base salary. Be interesting to know the exact ins-and-outs of how that all worked.

Folks should remember this is just Bo's third year as a HC. Also, unlike most HC's he doesn't have an agent taking 10%, so in effect it's like he makes 2.3million.

an agent taking 10% isnt likely to have clients such as college football coaches. or much of anyone for that matter. %3-%5 is industry norm.

i dont know Bo's personal case, but even coaches that dont have agents still have an advisor of some sort, who for all intents and purposes is an 'agent.' and everyone that doesnt have an 'agent' benefits from everyone that does in the long run.

interesting sidenote- DeLoss Dodds is infamous for his hatred of agents and absolute refusal to work with them. I guess thats why he is paying his coach $5 million a year. :LOLtartar

Yeah, Bo's about to get another raise I think. The only reason for him to "not respond" to rumors rather than simply deny them is because he likes the question hanging out there so that more money can come his way. I can't blame him for wanting more money given his level of success and what other coaches are making. Aside from that, he's gonna get more money when we go to the Big Ten. The Big Ten coaches are making way more than him, some with less success. I suspect that is partly related to the fact that they get so much money from the Big Ten Network. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see another raise for Bo...

School/Coach/ Total Compensation

Alabama Nick Saban $6.0 million

Texas Mack Brown $5.2

Oklahoma Bob Stoops $4.4

Florida Urban Meyer $4.0

Ohio State Jim Tressel $3.9

LSU Les Miles $3.9

Iowa Kirk Ferentz $3.8

Wake Forest Jim Grobe $2.9

Georgia Mark Richt $2.9

Arkansas Bobby Petrino $2.7

Missouri Gary Pinkel $2.6

Mississippi Houston Nutt $2.5

Michigan Rich Rodriguez $2.5

Miami (Fla.) Randy Shannon ???unknown?? Probably around $2.5

Oregon Chip Kelly $2.4

California Jeff Tedford $2.3

Georgia Tech Paul Johnson $2.3

SMU June Jones $2.1

Auburn Gene Chizik $2.1

Nebraska Bo Pelini $2.1

Kansas Turner Gill $2.1

Tennessee Derek Dooley $2.1

Virginia Tech Frank Beamer $2.1

Note: Coaches at public universities , like NU, get add’l outside compensation.

source of data: LINK