Big Ten Division Names and Logo Released

OK, so I thought the names were a bit corny at first but I think I realize what the Big 10 is trying to do. I don't think it ultimately matters if you ended up in Legends or Leaders divisions (especially after I watched that promo above). They want to brand all the schools and programs in this manner...basically that the Big 10 has the Legends and Leaders...in a sense the tradition and top players and programs in the history of college football...just look at the "Icons" series the Big 10 Network ran...it plays to this same theme. This brand will ultimately be owned by the Big 10...the other conferences cannot compete on legend/tradition...and now the Big 10 is claiming the leadership mantel as well. They do this by saying look at the leaders that have come through the Big 10, look at the academic institutions of the Big 10. This is a counter balance to the SEC claiming they have the best athletes conference. It's not a bad strategy although a bit corny for the fan trying to break down the divisions geographically....which can't be done anyway. I think it has to grow over time...and the more it does it will just build the brand bigger.

I also did not like the names or logo, but his is pretty well thought out post and I dig your confidence.

eliot1171

All Conference (1001-1400 Posts)

Group:

Mods Posts:

1,127 Joined:

10-December 10 Posted Today, 07:21 PM

=========================================[/color]

~1000 posts and a member for THREE days and you're already a MOD?

Are you the owner's Nephew?

(Although your name does seem mighty familiar)

:lol: Somebody noticed!

eliot is basically the rising star ;)

Ya, I noticed this one.

SheepdogMark

OK, so I thought the names were a bit corny at first but I think I realize what the Big 10 is trying to do. I don't think it ultimately matters if you ended up in Legends or Leaders divisions (especially after I watched that promo above). They want to brand all the schools and programs in this manner...basically that the Big 10 has the Legends and Leaders...in a sense the tradition and top players and programs in the history of college football...just look at the "Icons" series the Big 10 Network ran...it plays to this same theme. This brand will ultimately be owned by the Big 10...the other conferences cannot compete on legend/tradition...and now the Big 10 is claiming the leadership mantel as well. They do this by saying look at the leaders that have come through the Big 10, look at the academic institutions of the Big 10. This is a counter balance to the SEC claiming they have the best athletes conference. It's not a bad strategy although a bit corny for the fan trying to break down the divisions geographically....which can't be done anyway. I think it has to grow over time...and the more it does it will just build the brand bigger.

Excellent point and I did not think of that.

That is certainly one advantage over the SEC to play up.

Agreed as well ... I guess my thought is that the neither the font or color communicates much on tradition or leadership.

SheepdogMark

MY thoughts on a good BIG 10 logo and division names. Also, see how there's a "12" in the "IG" in "BIG"... anyway, i think i like mine better, and that's just if you don't change the color scheme!

bigtenl.jpg

Don't like the hidden 12 - but how can you NOT name the divisions Northwest and Southeast?