Ohio State suspensions

Even after the Universities Compliance Committee tells these student athletes the rules over and over? Yep I think the punishment fits the crime.

Supposedly they did this prior to being told this was not allowed. Keep in mind the official rule went in place for the 2009 season. I don't know when they did this, but it wasn't this year.

Even after the Universities Compliance Committee tells these student athletes the rules over and over? Yep I think the punishment fits the crime.

Supposedly they did this prior to being told this was not allowed. Keep in mind the official rule went in place for the 2009 season. I don't know when they did this, but it wasn't this year.

That doesn't make sense then. If there was no rule in the first place, they didn't do anything wrong. However, the NCAA must have found evidence that they commited the violation AFTER the rule was in place.

That doesn't make sense then. If there was no rule in the first place, they didn't do anything wrong. However, the NCAA must have found evidence that they commited the violation AFTER the rule was in place.

The first case of this happening was in 2003 with Georgia. They received no punishment for this. Beyond that, the years that I know about this are sketchy. I do know it was recently that it became enacted though.

Collegiate ballplayers should be compensated since they generate 10s, 20s, 30s of millions of dollars for the universities they represent on the gridiron. Not to mention the majority of new facilities (athletic, academia, and room & board, etc...) erected on the college campus' are funded by the revenue generated by the football program is in direct correlation by the sweat equity these youngsters and coaches put in between the hash marks. The free education rant simply doesn't fly anymore (never did really), especially when there $40k to $120k worth of tuition, books, room & board isn't the beginning of a pimple on the football programs azz and the multi-millions it generates off these kids backs, biceps, triceps, and quadriceps.

I'm not saying pull a SMU circa Eric Dickerson, Craig James (the whole SWC for that matter) and put 'em on the University payroll and sign contracts, but there should be some kind of monetary compensation plan/stipend that would adequately meet the needs of 18 to 22 year old kids who generate so much money for the universities they represent. If that were done, then the likelihood of players selling their memorabilia to get money for their families or otherwise wouldn't be as likely.

• Fire 1

Tressel says all 5 players have pledged to return next season

http://es.pn/h9jLf4

To me this seems just as wrong as the players selling their stuff. Tressel said he is doing it so the player see some sort of punishment. If he thinks they are deserving of punishment they should not be allowed to play in the Bowl game. This seems slimy for the NCAA to rule they can play and for the coach to tell the only way you can play is if you come back next year.

Collegiate ballplayers should be compensated since they generate 10s, 20s, 30s of millions of dollars for the universities they represent on the gridiron. Not to mention the majority of new facilities (athletic, academia, and room & board, etc...) erected on the college campus' are funded by the revenue generated by the football program is in direct correlation by the sweat equity these youngsters and coaches put in between the hash marks. The free education rant simply doesn't fly anymore (never did really), especially when there $40k to $120k worth of tuition, books, room & board isn't the beginning of a pimple on the football programs azz and the multi-millions it generates off these kids backs, biceps, triceps, and quadriceps.

I'm not saying pull a SMU circa Eric Dickerson, Craig James (the whole SWC for that matter) and put 'em on the University payroll and sign contracts, but there should be some kind of monetary compensation plan/stipend that would adequately meet the needs of 18 to 22 year old kids who generate so much money for the universities they represent. If that were done, then the likelihood of players selling their memorabilia to get money for their families or otherwise wouldn't be as likely.

Needs? They get their education, housing, food and even some clothing and entertainment paid for. Someone needs to go back and learn the difference between needs and wants. Tatoo's, XBOX's and iPhones aren't needs.

Needs? They get their education, housing, food and even some clothing and entertainment paid for. Someone needs to go back and learn the difference between needs and wants. Tatoo's, XBOX's and iPhones aren't needs.

Look College Football is nothing more than a weigh station to the NFL. It also acts as a farm system for the NFL. One gigantic stockyard that the NFL pilfers through for the latest prime cuts.

Therefore, with that knowledge in hand:

A $40,000 education doesn't compare to the literally multi-millions of $'s in revenue these kids produce, because of their athletic prowess, for the benefit of the whole university. Everybody else affiliated with the universities (other students, faculty, etc..) seemingly benefits far greater from the athletes sweat equity than the athletes themselves. The current system is nothing more than "Pimps & Ho's" really. Based on how this current system is set-up allows me, in a twisted way, to appreciate the practices of the old Southwest Conference-- atleast the athletes were seeing tangible benefits for their services rendered. If this current system remains in place without any modifications, then the OSU situation and other situations concerning so-called student-athletes will continue to persist. These kids are gonna find away to get their needs and wants met one way or another.

By the way, I'm in my late 30's so I do know the difference between wants & needs. When I made the statement about needs, I was speaking about needs.

I guess we'll have to agree-to-disagree on this issue, because I'm very staunch in my position on this topic, and I'm sure you are very passionate about your viewpoint as well.