Ohio State suspensions

Even Herbstreit is ripping Pryor and OSU. I usually find Herbie to be a major OSU homer so sort of was stunned when he went very negative on Pryor..."addition by subtraction", seems to call him immature, everyone has told him he is the greatest, but in fact he is not going to be a very high draft or cut in in the NFL at all! To me Pryor is not a high NFL candidate but the OSU WR and RB are probably going to bolt to the NFL as their stock is much better than Pryor's.

Link to audio here:

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/15522

Why not give the players an option. Free scholarship or they can pay there way threw college without rules against endorsements, etc?

Thats a good idea, but again, it comes with leading to possible troublesome situations where a booster could get a recruit to come to their school by paying for their education, and then just paying him while he is in school because its allowed since theyre not on scholarship.

Overall, in this world today, we are always going to have people breaking and getting around the rules. The NCAA certainly is not a very well run organization, but even if it was, and had a good set of rules, there would still be situations like this.

Why not give the players an option. Free scholarship or they can pay there way threw college without rules against endorsements, etc?

Thats a good idea, but again, it comes with leading to possible troublesome situations where a booster could get a recruit to come to their school by paying for their education, and then just paying him while he is in school because its allowed since theyre not on scholarship.

Overall, in this world today, we are always going to have people breaking and getting around the rules. The NCAA certainly is not a very well run organization, but even if it was, and had a good set of rules, there would still be situations like this.

How is that different when a normal student gets a grant from someone and as long as they meet the requirements get free money? Or if you are poor enough and black/latino you can go to school for free.

How is that different when a normal student gets a grant from someone and as long as they meet the requirements get free money? Or if you are poor enough and black/latino you can go to school for free.

because people cant handle the truth.

im wondering how i can have half-whatever babies so they have a chance at free education. :) and im 'native american.' so dont even come back at me with racist bullsh#t. its a system, and it gets used.

the worst thing you can be today is plain old white. and thats a certified fact.

• Fire 1

An athlete could walk-on to a school and a booster could give the athlete a "scholarship" that pays for school and then some. How could the NCAA punish you for that.

It just seems like colleges milk the players. I'm mean this is what like a multi million dollar league. That some of these player mess up there bodies for what a scholarship. Give me a break. Look at ol touch down tommy. How much money do you think was made off of him. He didn't get to the next level(NFL). A lot of great players who get hurt and on some occasion Killed. What would the ncaa be without great players. How many sponsors would they have. NCAA rules forces the back door rule breaking(boosters). If my face was plastered all over TV I would want a little money for that. Do great players go to college for a degree first? Or is that a fall back plan in case they don't make it to the pros?

I've cruised through this thread and I haven't seen anyone mention the Husker baseball players (Andy Gerch, etc.) who were suspended for selling their equipment to Scheels in 2008. Gerch got a 12-game suspension (20% of the season), while the others got six games (a little more than 10% of the season).

The OSU players' suspensions would amount to greater than 1/3 of their games, which seems excessive to me.

I've cruised through this thread and I haven't seen anyone mention the Husker baseball players (Andy Gerch, etc.) who were suspended for selling their equipment to Scheels in 2008. Gerch got a 12-game suspension (20% of the season), while the others got six games (a little more than 10% of the season).

The OSU players' suspensions would amount to greater than 1/3 of their games, which seems excessive to me.

Sorry man but nobody cares about baseball... lol I know I'm missing the point though.