Reviewing the Pitt v NU game...

formerfan

I watched the game and a couple of things caught my eye:

1) Pitts RB had some success running against NU, quite a few missed tackles. I am afraid that when we play a good running team, the 'Shirts may give up a good amount of yards.

2) Does this WCO not have a play called a QUARTERBACK SNEAK when it needs less than 1 freakin' yard on 3rd or 4th down???? :wtf

On a side note, I watched part of the OSU-IU game today, and I sure am glad that the option wont work in big time college football anymore :wacko: Just ask ND (against MSU).

1) Pitts RB had some success running against NU, quite a few missed tackles. I am afraid that when we play a good running team, the 'Shirts may give up a good amount of yards.

Dude, Wake Forest was ranked in the top 5 last year and returned both RB's including the ACC leading rusher.!!!!!!!!!! :wtf

Dude, Wake Forest was ranked in the top 5 last year and returned both RB's including the ACC leading rusher.!!!!!!!!!! :wtf

Wake has a good rushing attack, but if you look at the stats, their top 2 RBs had 30 rushes for 124 yards, over 4 yards per carry, against NU.

If they wouldnt have gotten so far behind, I think that they could have piled up some big yards against the 'Shirts, there were some pretty good holes opened up by their Oline consistently.

BTW, I meant no disrepect to WFs offense, but Im looking at OU to see what AP is gonna do.

Wake has a good rushing attack, but if you look at the stats, their top 2 RBs had 30 rushes for 124 yards, over 4 yards per carry, against NU.

If they wouldnt have gotten so far behind, I think that they could have piled up some big yards against the 'Shirts, there were some pretty good holes opened up by their Oline consistently.

BTW, I meant no disrepect to WFs offense, but Im looking at OU to see what AP is gonna do.

Well I don't blame you there, AP's in a whole other league than everyone else, save maybe Bush.

Pretty hard to find a game that has 30 rushing attempts that don't result in that many yards usually, so i don't see what your point is.

Pretty hard to find a game that has 30 rushing attempts that don't result in that many yards usually, so i don't see what your point is.

Point is, if you watch the games (both Wake and Pitt) the defense has given up more 5,6,8,9,15 etc yard runs than I would like to see. Sure, they make up for it with a sack on the next play, but I think that they are susceptible to giving up a number of yards to a good rushing team, because these two teams got nice gains on the ground consistently.

it seemed like against pitt they were getting all their yards on runs the outside but nothing up the middle... that rb was quick, hicks isnt as fast i dont think so it shouldnt be a problem... plus nebraska really didnt get to see any film on the kid from pitt, he never played before in any bulk

Point is, if you watch the games (both Wake and Pitt) the defense has given up more 5,6,8,9,15 etc yard runs than I would like to see. Sure, they make up for it with a sack on the next play, but I think that they are susceptible to giving up a number of yards to a good rushing team, because these two teams got nice gains on the ground consistently.

You are not going to stop every rushing attempt. Sometimes you get a few long gains like Pitts did for example in the first 2 quarters but eventually forcing a team to rely only on 1 aspect of the game (rushing) while shutting down the other aspect is what any defensive coordinator wants. If you look at Wake forest for example, they became desperate and continued to try to run the ball in the third and 4th qtr, even after we shut down their running game. Same with Pitts. We managed to shut down their passing game in the 3rd and 4th qtr's and they consistantly tried to pass which made them 1 dimensional. No one likes seeing 10 yards, 20 yards, 5 yards, 8 yuards here and there, but they happen.

Your arguement could be made for passing teams as well since Pitts and Wake got a few downs on some good pass plays, which means it would defeat the purpose of the point you made, because our defense can make up for it with interceptions for example. Any DC will tell you that they would rather a team rush then pass because stats have shown turnovers come more from rushing mistakes then passing

On a side note, I watched part of the OSU-IU game today, and I sure am glad that the option wont work in big time college football anymore :wacko:

Did you see any of the USC game? I sure glad to see that the WCO offense will never work in college football. :wacko:

That option is not what Frankie was running either. The spread option is a lot different then QB keeper right or QB keeper left.

yep, Norm Chow runs his own type of offense, characterized as the WCO, hell anything that looks like a spread is characterized as the WCO nowadays....

Exactly. It is a very very broad term used in offenses that run many many sets that you can run AND/OR pass out of.

I guess a better term would be WCO-type offense.

I don't care what Carson Palmer said 4 years ago, they run a WCO-type offense.

yep, Norm Chow runs his own type of offense, characterized as the WCO, hell anything that looks like a spread is characterized as the WCO nowadays....

Exactly. It is a very very broad term used in offenses that run many many sets that you can run AND/OR pass out of.

I guess a better term would be WCO-type offense.

I don't care what Carson Palmer said 4 years ago, they run a WCO-type offense.

:yeah

He also said he got Chow's offense because it was simpler. His stats that year indicate otherwise, so I think what he says in the interview amounts to jack squat.

But they got so far behind because of the effort by the defense. Stripping the ball, INT. etc. All produced by the defense.