LBs coach

Then why did you respond to a post that was started out with: "Not sure "linebackers to the NFL" is really how I'd build my candidate list. But, since you're lazy I'll humor you and help ya out..."

I'm not saying we are going to hire some big time LB coach. I just put together a list based on recent drafts and drew the conclusion that it would cost a lot of money. I also agree the LB coach won't make more than coordinators so you have to assume the coordinators would get a raise as well. Am I wrong in saying it wouldn't cost a lot of money to bring in a position coach from a top-tier school? Those top tier schools are what we were talking about, and they happen to most often be where your exceptions are found so I think listing 15 position coaches from top-tier schools is far from the "exception" - it's exactly what we're talking about.

You picked out the 400k number and for some reason felt like I'm proclaiming to the world that NU MUST spend 400k to get their LB coach, which couldn't have been farther from the case.

Who do we hire? Oh, I'm not feeling up to look at which teams have produced top linebackers in the past few years... I know that Stanford and Tennessee have sent some guys to the NFL in the last half-decade... How do we get them? Money.

Not sure "linebackers to the NFL" is really how I'd build my candidate list. But, since you're lazy I'll humor you and help ya out... :)

Last 4 years...first 4 rounds

TOP TEAMS BY LB's IN NFL

USC (6)

PENN STATE (4)

FLORIDA STATE (2)

MIAMI (2)

MISSOURI (2)

OHIO STATE (2)

SOUTH FLORIDA (2)

WISCONSIN (2)

TOP COACHES BY LB's IN NFL

Ken Norton Jr (USC) - Currently with the Seahawks

Ron Vanderlinden (Penn State since 2001) - No Salary Info

Chuck Amato (Florida State) - Currently unemployed after battling cancer. Plans to return in 2011

Micheal Barrow (Miami) - Not sure if still on Miami staff.

Dave Steckel (Missouri) - Salary $400,000+-

Luke Fickell (Ohio State) - Salary $300,000+-

David Blackwell (South Florida - really only his 1st year) - MIA

Dave Doeren (Wisconsin) - Salaray $300,000+-

SUMMARY

About 30 linebacker coaches have sent players to the NFL in the first 4 rounds. Ekeler currently makes around $200,000. To get a top tier linebacker coach, they'll need to be making right around $400,000 I would assume. That means that Carl/Watson need at least a $200,000 raise to ensure our coordinators are making more. Then we'd need to give raises for the other staff that has put in their time because politically paying a new guy $200,000 more than everyone else would be an issue. Figure about $50-100,000 for each of the other 6 coaches to at least give them something. That puts the cost of this new top tier linebacker coach right around $1,200,000 a year more than current levels, conservatively.

The only 2 on the board that have put linebackers into the NFL in large numbers are USC/Penn State. Norton won't be leaving the Seahawks any time soon, and I don't see Vanderlinden moving to another Big10 team after 10 years at Penn State. Steckel is firmly at Missouri, and Fickell won't be leaving Ohio State. Same goes for Doeren.

That leaves you with David Blackwell, Micheal Barrow, and Chuck Amato. Out of the 3, I like Chuck Amato. He was at Florida State competing against Osborne through the 90's, and has a fair amount of head coaching experience at NC State. He wants back into coaching, it's just a question of how damaging the cancer was, but all indications point to him wanting to come back for 2011.

DATA

Alabama

Missouri

TCU

Penn State

Florida

Iowa

Washington

Penn State

Georgia

USC

Nortwestern

Ohio State

North Carolina

Wisconsin

Wake Forest

USC (4)

Ohio State

Virginia

Western Illinois

Wisconsin

South Florida

USC

Tennessee

Oklahoma

Colorado

Miami

Penn State

Michigan

Georgia Tech

UNLV

Virginia Tech

BYU

Purdue

Ole Miss

Florida State

Miami

Penn State

Michigan

Hampton

New Mexico

Florida State

Nebraska

Stanford

Clemson

South Florida

Missouri

Brown

Florida International

Pittsburg

Thanks for posting. I knew someone else here would have the free time to look all that up. First off, I would say that the number of pro's each school produces would be a good way to judge a coach. It shows that they know how to recognize and develop talent. Obviously, it shouldn't be the only thing taken into consideration... The funny thing is that those teams paying lots of money for their coaches are, as kchusker said, CONTENDING FOR NATIONAL TITLES (or otherwise very successful). Are we to believe that such a thing is coincidence? Are we also to believe that the University of Nebraska Athletic Department is broke-as-a-joke? Hardly. All I'm saying is that Nebraska should not be giving coaches the benefit of the doubt when they come here. Sorry, Els, but I'd rather see some other school do that.

P.S.

Luuuuuuuuuulz @ the university paying the six other coaches 50-100k more. "Uhhh, we don't want you guys to feel bad,so here's 75 grand." I think not. Carl would be the only one likely to get a raise under those circumstances... The athletic department could justify not giving Watson a raise until the offense starts clicking. Maybe using the situation to hold some fire to his feet... Bam- two birds with one stone.

Then why did you respond to a post that was started out with: "Not sure "linebackers to the NFL" is really how I'd build my candidate list. But, since you're lazy I'll humor you and help ya out..."

I'm not saying we are going to hire some big time LB coach. I just put together a list based on recent drafts and drew the conclusion that it would cost a lot of money. I also agree the LB coach won't make more than coordinators so you have to assume the coordinators would get a raise as well. Am I wrong in saying it wouldn't cost a lot of money to bring in a position coach from a top-tier school? Those top tier schools are what we were talking about, and they happen to most often be where your exceptions are found so I think listing 15 position coaches from top-tier schools is far from the "exception" - it's exactly what we're talking about.

You picked out the 400k number and for some reason felt like I'm proclaiming to the world that NU MUST spend 400k to get their LB coach, which couldn't have been farther from the case.

I was responding to the summary in your quote. I didn't pick out 400 k you did. :facepalm: So yes. when you stated "I assume" then you put your seal of approval on it. Here's what I was responding to:

"SUMMARY

About 30 linebacker coaches have sent players to the NFL in the first 4 rounds. Ekeler currently makes around $200,000. To get a top tier linebacker coach, they'll need to be making right around $400,000 I would assume. That means that Carl/Watson need at least a $200,000 raise to ensure our coordinators are making more. Then we'd need to give raises for the other staff that has put in their time because politically paying a new guy $200,000 more than everyone else would be an issue. Figure about $50-100,000 for each of the other 6 coaches to at least give them something. That puts the cost of this new top tier linebacker coach right around $1,200,000 a year more than current levels, conservatively."

I was responding to the summary in your quote. I didn't pick out 400 k you did. :facepalm: So yes. when you stated "I assume" then you put your seal of approval on it. Here's what I was responding to:

"SUMMARY

About 30 linebacker coaches have sent players to the NFL in the first 4 rounds. Ekeler currently makes around $200,000. To get a top tier linebacker coach, they'll need to be making right around $400,000 I would assume. That means that Carl/Watson need at least a $200,000 raise to ensure our coordinators are making more. Then we'd need to give raises for the other staff that has put in their time because politically paying a new guy $200,000 more than everyone else would be an issue. Figure about $50-100,000 for each of the other 6 coaches to at least give them something. That puts the cost of this new top tier linebacker coach right around $1,200,000 a year more than current levels, conservatively."

And your response to that was "There is no way nebraska is paying 400k for a LB coach"? - I didn't say they were gonig to...but, they'll probably be getting someone from New Mexico State - certainly not someone from Oregon/Auburn...which is what the whole point of the discussion was about. Probably not anyone from USC, Penn State, etc. Not the guy from Missouri. I HIGHLY doubt a LB coach making 200k at Auburn would jump ship to make 300k at Nebraska. The conclusion I drew, is that to get a coach away from one of those programs it would cost us around 400k a year. You haven't disagreed w/ that other than to say Nebraska won't be paying 400k a year. I guess I'll take it as you agree w/ me.

For some, the prospect of learning and growing as a defensive football coach under a guy (Bo) who is quickly establishing himself as one of the preeminent defensive minds in the country might outweigh dollar signs. For the Blackshirts to make the transition they have over the last three years has been pretty incredible, and people are paying attention. The potential for career growth will be evident to some...whether we'll land some big name LB coach or not remains to be seen. NU has something to offer outside the realm of economics, though...much as an offensive coach may have taken less to coach for Bill Walsh at Stanford instead of more to coach at, say, Florida under Ron Zook or something.

Before you even say it, I know. Bo Pelini does not equal Bill Walsh at this stage of his career. But his defensive reputation is sterling, he's earned it, and it might help persuade good coaches to come to NU to learn under him.

• Fire 1

For some, the prospect of learning and growing as a defensive football coach under a guy (Bo) who is quickly establishing himself as one of the preeminent defensive minds in the country might outweigh dollar signs. For the Blackshirts to make the transition they have over the last three years has been pretty incredible, and people are paying attention. The potential for career growth will be evident to some...whether we'll land some big name LB coach or not remains to be seen. NU has something to offer outside the realm of economics, though...much as an offensive coach may have taken less to coach for Bill Walsh at Stanford instead of more to coach at, say, Florida under Ron Zook or something.

Before you even say it, I know. Bo Pelini does not equal Bill Walsh at this stage of his career. But his defensive reputation is sterling, he's earned it, and it might help persuade good coaches to come to NU to learn under him.

well said