Hey Hey Hey...Get Out Of My Way!!!

It's one win.

Let's see this team win 13 more times this season, before conference tournet time. If so, then one has reason to get excited.

I'm not trying to attack you, but this is simply a stupid statement. There MIGHT be two teams in the entire conference that win 13 more times before the tournament. This IS a huge win because this team just learned that they can pull one out in crunch time. That kind of confidence is majorly important, period.

Actually it's brilliant. One doesn't nor shouldn't get excited over a poor win. Put together several wins, and then you can and should get excited.

Looking at the TT loss and my above post becomes even more brilliant because this it shows this team HAS NOT learned they can pull one out in crunch time.

I wasn't saying you had to be excited about the ISU win, I was simply saying if you aren't going to be excited until Nebraska wins 14 conference games, you might as well never watch as long as you live because it happens for very few teams, ever. For the rest of us realists, a win is a win and worth being happy about.

And that's why Nebrasketball is what it is. Fans and the Ath. Dept. get excited over one bad win rather then do something when they can't string together more than one of these bad wins at a time.

they learned they got lucky, is all. seriously...it never should have been that close at the end. sure, they "pulled one out in crunch time" but it was not because they actually deserved it. should never have been in that position. hell...they even missed the first of two gifted free throws. if the rest of the season goes remotely like this game, the husker ballers will be lucky to win 6 in conference.

You don't watch Husker basketball closely. If you do, you don't pay very close attention.

"They learned..." - last time I checked, learning to win a close game is a big deal.

"...they got lucky, is all." - This team hasn't caught a break under Doc yet, until now. Even two years ago when they went 8-8, they were literally inches away from 10-6. The fact that a break FINALLY went there way may be just enough to get the "bad luck" monkey off their backs.

"...it never should have been that close at the end." - This is Doc's style of ball, like it or not. It's like Nebraska football. When your team is built with an emphasis on defense, you won't blow anyone out unless is Sisters of the Blind.

Anyone who says winning the first conference game (no matter the opponent) isn't a big deal for a team that last year went 2-14 is obviously not paying attention to what's been going on.

Note: In no way am I saying this means Nebraska is going to incredible things this year, I'm just saying it's big that they actually took a step forward.

im paying plenty of attention. my cousin played basketball at for doc as recently as 2 seasons ago. i talk about the current team with him all time. over the years ive been a huge defender/supporter of Doc and his style. but its becoming old. things are not changing.

whether they are actually playing better this year or the fact that the big 12 overall is down compared to last year is a valid argument-and they still have a losing record. doesnt look good for getting back to .500 this weekend either.

in reference to the iowa st game and the huskers getting lucky- it shouldnt have been that close with Doc's defensive style, because they were up by much more. its like some weird prevent defense comes out and they go away from the things that got them the lead in the first place.

still feeling as strong about your words after the texas tech game?

Can you honestly say this years team is the same as its been the past two or three? This team actually has shown the ability to run a bit in conference play.. they haven't slowed down every time they get the ball.. if they have a break opportunity, they take it. See the Colorado game for instance.. even late in the game they ran when they got numbers, something they didn't do in the ISU game.. think that was learning from experience? TTU shot phenomenally from the field, but we still put up 70+... saying that its the same old story with Doc isn't true this year, sorry.

• Fire 1

And that's why Nebrasketball is what it is. Fans and the Ath. Dept. get excited over one bad win rather then do something when they can't string together more than one of these bad wins at a time.

Are you serious? What are we as fans supposed to do? Instead of being happy with a win, I (as a fan) am supposed to be furious that the team didn't win by more? I (as a fan) am supposed to call Lance Jeter, Caleb Walker, Brandon Richardson, and the rest of the gang and tell them to meet in the gym the next morning at 5 am to run because they only won by 1 point? Give me a break.

The athletic department should not have settled all these years, I agree. But they are doing something now - have you seen the new practice facility that's up and only months away from opening? Have you heard they're moving to a new arena? The athletic department is finally waking up a little bit, but they need to wake up more. But bringing the fans into it is extremely laughable. If only having 5,000 people at a game doesn't change anything, obviously nothing else the fans do will have an effect.

you almost argue against yourself there bud.

the fans have always been there, hopelessly romantic...and things remain the same. seriously step outside of this program for a bit, and look at what they have accomplished in their history...even tho we do need the facility upgrades and whatnot...this team has had WAY more support, both fanbase wise and facilities wise, over the years than programs that have done extraordinarily more with far less.

Are you serious? What are we as fans supposed to do? Instead of being happy with a win, I (as a fan) am supposed to be furious that the team didn't win by more? I (as a fan) am supposed to call Lance Jeter, Caleb Walker, Brandon Richardson, and the rest of the gang and tell them to meet in the gym the next morning at 5 am to run because they only won by 1 point? Give me a break.

The athletic department should not have settled all these years, I agree. But they are doing something now - have you seen the new practice facility that's up and only months away from opening? Have you heard they're moving to a new arena? The athletic department is finally waking up a little bit, but they need to wake up more. But bringing the fans into it is extremely laughable. If only having 5,000 people at a game doesn't change anything, obviously nothing else the fans do will have an effect.

at least your phone bill would be cheap. ;)

the fans have always been there, hopelessly romantic...and things remain the same. seriously step outside of this program for a bit, and look at what they have accomplished in their history...even tho we do need the facility upgrades and whatnot...this team has had WAY more support, both fanbase wise and facilities wise, over the years than programs that have done extraordinarily more with far less.

No. Not in the last 15-20 years, which also happens to be the time period when recruiting focuses changed and shifted almost entirely to "are you going to make sure I get paid?" and "what shiny things do you have to attract me?"

The bottom line is if you want to get good fast, you have to get in bed with AAU guys. Have to. If you're not going to do that, it's going to take a long time, and it won't happen without new facilities. Just because the football team has the newest, hottest stuff, doesn't mean that basketball team does.

And as for fan support - come on. The fans have not always been there, hopelessly romantic, as you say. Sure, there's a core of 5-6,000 always there, but if they were "hopelessly romantic," you wouldn't have only 7,000 at a conference game, and you wouldn't have 3/4 of the state putting away their Husker hoodies for the winter to don KU or Duke apparel. Hell, if Husker hoops was full of "hopeless romantics" there'd be more than 4 of us posting in the husker hoops forum.

• Fire 1

No. Not in the last 15-20 years, which also happens to be the time period when recruiting focuses changed and shifted almost entirely to "are you going to make sure I get paid?" and "what shiny things do you have to attract me?"

The bottom line is if you want to get good fast, you have to get in bed with AAU guys. Have to. If you're not going to do that, it's going to take a long time, and it won't happen without new facilities. Just because the football team has the newest, hottest stuff, doesn't mean that basketball team does.

And as for fan support - come on. The fans have not always been there, hopelessly romantic, as you say. Sure, there's a core of 5-6,000 always there, but if they were "hopelessly romantic," you wouldn't have only 7,000 at a conference game, and you wouldn't have 3/4 of the state putting away their Husker hoodies for the winter to don KU or Duke apparel. Hell, if Husker hoops was full of "hopeless romantics" there'd be more than 4 of us posting in the husker hoops forum.

Or we would actually HAVE a husker hoops forum.. still upsetting that all these threads are grouped into one....