2011 Bold Predictions

Call me crazy and maybe it’s the fact that the season has worn off a bit and I’ve replenished my kool-aid, but after looking at all the changes happening across the Big Ten and some thoughts I’ll put below, I think I’m going to go ahead and get my hopes up and make this extremely bold prediction, stand by it and live with the consequences at the end of next season – if any.

Here are my 10 reasons for these predictions:

1) The fact that there has been NO noise about a shakeup on the offensive staff tells me that they are 100% focused on problem / resolution at the moment and have moved past personnel being the problem. As long as plenty of time is being spent analyzing and changing, that’s all a fan can ask for. You’ll never know what the changes will equate to until you do it….but one would have to believe changes will be better than worse.

2) TM’s statement that he wants to become a better person, leader and player tells me that he could very well be just a shy, odd person in a new and uncomfortable place and is getting good advice from somebody – which is the first step.

3) The fact that everyone that can come back next year on D is coming back. Barring some colossal break down, NU’s D is going to be SICK next year….and I think possibly more opportunistic due to an improved/older Dline causing all sorts of issues for opposing QBs.

4) Rex Burkhead – enough said.

5) Schedule looks much scarier than it will be. The OSU predictions below* could be flip-flopped or go in NU’s favor both times…especially with the suspensions. WI and IA starting over at QB….MSU losing a TON of defensive talent. It looks much easier than it did when initially released.

6) NU is ready to take the next step. I truly believe this in my heart. I would be completely shocked if any success this upcoming season, early on, is radiated by a player or coach as anything more than it is. Looking back – you could tell the team felt invincible early in 2010. A humbling season should and will change that quite a bit and that will be the next step. Knowing they can win every game, but remembering they could lose any game.

7) O-line. It all depends on the outcomes of #1 above – but there is more than enough talent to work with and some major size coming in.

8) L. David and the rest of the LBs…….gonna be incredible.

9) TM will destroy records next year. If it isn’t him – then the other guy will if he loses the gig to someone. For all the chatter about what this guy lacks – I’m betting on it not getting in the way of success. I didn’t realize that his numbers already stack up to or beat, Frazier, Gill. If he gets the mental part down (mentioned in #2), it’s going to be amazing.

10) Most importantly...If I didn’t put together an overachieving list of things NU will do next year – my offseason would be full of no hope…….. :corndance ……….so as worthless as this is….it’ll make me feel better at night and I can’t wait to get ripped.

Here goes:

Sat, Sep 03 Tennessee Chattanooga W 37-0

Sat, Sep 17 Washington W 31-10

Sat, Sep 24 Wyoming at Laramie, Wyo. W 47-14

Sat, Oct 01 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. W 27-13

Sat, Oct 08 Ohio State L 14-17*

Sat, Oct 22 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. W 20-6

Sat, Oct 29 Michigan State W 28-13

Sat, Nov 05 Northwestern W 41-10

Sat, Nov 12 Penn State at University Park, Pa. W 24-17

Sat, Nov 19 Michigan at Ann Arbor, Mich. W 48-24

Sat, Nov 26 Iowa W 24-20

Sat, Dec 3 Big Ten Champ (OSU) W 17-14*

Call me crazy and maybe it’s the fact that the season has worn off a bit and I’ve replenished my kool-aid, but after looking at all the changes happening across the Big Ten and some thoughts I’ll put below, I think I’m going to go ahead and get my hopes up and make this extremely bold prediction, stand by it and live with the consequences at the end of next season – if any.

1) The fact that there has been NO noise about a shakeup on the offensive staff tells me that they are 100% focused on problem / resolution at the moment and have moved past personnel being the problem. As long as plenty of time is being spent analyzing and changing, that’s all a fan can ask for. You’ll never know what the changes will equate to until you do it….but one would have to believe changes will be better than worse.

2) TM’s statement that he wants to become a better person, leader and player tells me that he could very well be just a shy, odd person in a new and uncomfortable place and is getting good advice from somebody – which is the first step.

3) The fact that everyone that can come back next year on D is coming back. Barring some colossal break down, NU’s D is going to be SICK next year….and I think possibly more opportunistic due to an improved/older Dline causing all sorts of issues for opposing QBs.

5) Schedule looks much scarier than it will be. The OSU predictions below* could be flip-flopped or go in NU’s favor both times…especially with the suspensions. WI and IA starting over at QB….MSU losing a TON of defensive talent. It looks much easier than it did when initially released.

6) NU is ready to take the next step. I truly believe this in my heart. I would be completely shocked if any success this upcoming season, early on, is radiated by a player or coach as anything more than it is. Looking back – you could tell the team felt invincible early in 2010. A humbling season should and will change that quite a bit and that will be the next step. Knowing they can win every game, but remembering they could lose any game.

7) O-line. It all depends on the outcomes of #1 above – but there is more than enough talent to work with and some major size coming in.

9) TM will destroy records next year. If it isn’t him – then the other guy will if he loses the gig to someone. For all the chatter about what this guy lacks – I’m betting on it not getting in the way of success. I didn’t realize that his numbers already stack up to or beat, Frazier, Gill. If he gets the mental part down (mentioned in #2), it’s going to be amazing.

10) Most importantly...If I didn’t put together an overachieving list of things NU will do next year – my offseason would be full of no hope…….. :corndance ……….so as worthless as this is….it’ll make me feel better at night and I can’t wait to get ripped.

Here goes:

Sat, Nov 26 Iowa W 24-20

Dear Lord I hope your right!

Here goes:

Sat, Nov 26 Iowa W 24-20

Have you not forgot we lose Prince, Hagg, and Gomes?!

Have you not forgot we lose Prince, Hagg, and Gomes?!

I think that's a double negative.....so I'll say no??? Yea - huge loss, but hey - what can I say? I'm nuts.

Hagg and Gomes may not be THAT big of a loss next season. Sounds crazy, but humor me. These 2 guys were versatile do-everything players that did a lot out of the nickel and dime positions that the Huskers could have them on the field pretty much full time. Against a good portion of the Big 10, the approach used against the Big 12 will not be as effective. I look for Bo to play a lot more base, with 3 true LB's on the field (David, Compton, Fisher), with Dennard locking down one side, Osbourne and Cassidy patrolling the middle, and Ciante growing into a star on the other side. There should be no shortage of youngsters looking to crack the field and show what they can do as well. Pelini has shown the ability to adjust his defense to his personnel. What the big question mark is what the offense does from here on out. If Martinez learns from this year and grows as a leader, he could turn into something special.

Hagg and Gomes may not be THAT big of a loss next season. Sounds crazy, but humor me. These 2 guys were versatile do-everything players that did a lot out of the nickel and dime positions that the Huskers could have them on the field pretty much full time. Against a good portion of the Big 10, the approach used against the Big 12 will not be as effective. I look for Bo to play a lot more base, with 3 true LB's on the field (David, Compton, Fisher), with Dennard locking down one side, Osbourne and Cassidy patrolling the middle, and Ciante growing into a star on the other side. There should be no shortage of youngsters looking to crack the field and show what they can do as well. Pelini has shown the ability to adjust his defense to his personnel. What the big question mark is what the offense does from here on out. If Martinez learns from this year and grows as a leader, he could turn into something special.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying here.....I think those 2 guys will be missed no doubt - but you bring up great points about the 3LBs.

It's pretty amazing that we went into last seasons prep with talks about how awesome SF will be....then he got hurt and David was amazing. I hope the 2 on the field at the same time is half as good as it sounds.

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

No way in hell we only lose 1 regular season game next year. Tougher schedule, with a defense that loses a lot of depth in the secondary....barring some sort of miracle, it's not gonna happen. We will lose between 3 and 4 games next year.

As said before, losses in the secondary aren't as important going into the Big 10. It'd be great to have Prince, Hagg, and Gomes, but the scheme is going to be different next year, going against more pro-style offenses and fewer spread offenses.

I also think that Bo's got his depth on defense to the point where year in year out they're basically just going to reload, not rebuild.

Here is what I think.....

Through the first 4 games, Martinez will run wild against the slow defenses that we will face. Then in our conference opener will come a reality check again for our offense. The defense wont be as strong through the first part of the year because we are gonna have some new faces in their and unit as a whole needs time to gel.

We lose a close game to Wisconsin 21-17 with 14 of the points coming from the defense/special teams. Wisconsin just wears our defense out in the 2nd half with runs up the middle and PA.

The Ohio State game will be billed as "Redout around the World II." Their will be a ton of hype for this game, the team comes out flat, much like the Texas game this past year. We lose 24-10

We will destroy Minnesota, new coaching staff....... 41-3

Michigan State will come and try to control the clock and shorten the game as they dont have horses to compete with Nebraska paper. A couple of miscues on offense in the 4th quarter will lose the game for us.... 24-21

Northwestern defense couldnt stop a nose bleed. They got 1 guy on offense Persa(sp?). Frankly NW isnt very good with out him, much like UW isnt very good without Locker. We roll in this one, 49-10.

The Penn State is another game that will have alot hype too it. The great programs meeting again for the first since 2002. I have a sense happy valley will be rockin for this one in the snow. We slip and slide our way to 10-0 victory. It seems Penn State always plays a game in the snow in November.

Nebraska will come out and shutdown Robinson and Company. Their offense wont be able to do much against the blackshirts playing with a lot of confidence. Michigans defense is still a work in progress, but getting better by this game. Nebraska wins 24-3, behind a 3 sack game by Crick.

Iowa will come in with division crown on the line with winner playing tOSU for CCG. Iowa every year seems to blow a game they should win, but in this game they come fired up especially the defense since they have to carry the weight, much like Nebraska has to. Its hard hitting battle for 4 quarters and then some. A turnover by Nebraska in the 2nd OT loses this one, 20-17.

8-4, 4-4 in the conference. A berth to the Gator Bowl where we will play Arkansas.

• Fire 1

Here is what I think.....

Through the first 4 games, Martinez will run wild against the slow defenses that we will face. Then in our conference opener will come a reality check again for our offense. The defense wont be as strong through the first part of the year because we are gonna have some new faces in their and unit as a whole needs time to gel.

We lose a close game to Wisconsin 21-17 with 14 of the points coming from the defense/special teams. Wisconsin just wears our defense out in the 2nd half with runs up the middle and PA.

The Ohio State game will be billed as "Redout around the World II." Their will be a ton of hype for this game, the team comes out flat, much like the Texas game this past year. We lose 24-10

We will destroy Minnesota, new coaching staff....... 41-3

Michigan State will come and try to control the clock and shorten the game as they dont have horses to compete with Nebraska paper. A couple of miscues on offense in the 4th quarter will lose the game for us.... 24-21

Northwestern defense couldnt stop a nose bleed. They got 1 guy on offense Persa(sp?). Frankly NW isnt very good with out him, much like UW isnt very good without Locker. We roll in this one, 49-10.

The Penn State is another game that will have alot hype too it. The great programs meeting again for the first since 2002. I have a sense happy valley will be rockin for this one in the snow. We slip and slide our way to 10-0 victory. It seems Penn State always plays a game in the snow in November.

Nebraska will come out and shutdown Robinson and Company. Their offense wont be able to do much against the blackshirts playing with a lot of confidence. Michigans defense is still a work in progress, but getting better by this game. Nebraska wins 24-3, behind a 3 sack game by Crick.

Iowa will come in with division crown on the line with winner playing tOSU for CCG. Iowa every year seems to blow a game they should win, but in this game they come fired up especially the defense since they have to carry the weight, much like Nebraska has to. Its hard hitting battle for 4 quarters and then some. A turnover by Nebraska in the 2nd OT loses this one, 20-17.

8-4, 4-4 in the conference. A berth to the Gator Bowl where we will play Arkansas.

Ah...man...now why you gotta go all "reality" and stuff on us....

Haha - yea - you are probably much more accurate than I....but I'm standing by my prediction and hopefully can pull it back up in Dec 2011!!!

:koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

I don't think Martinez facing defenses with speed will be the problem, as long as he's healthy. I think the question you have to ask is - if defenses take away Martinez's ability to run the ball, which is what they'll do from game 1, will we have enough other weapons that we can make them pay for stopping Martinez? When Martinez is healthy, defenses have to commit so many resources to stopping him that it opens up other parts of our offense. The question is, can we take advantage of that?

The other question for the offense is, if Martinez gets hurt again, what then?

huskerscott, as far as the Ohio State game, no way will it be as hyped as the Texas game. It'll be a big game, but more like Missouri of 2010 than like Texas. The Texas game was getting hyped like crazy at THIS time last year.

I don't think Martinez facing defenses with speed will be the problem, as long as he's healthy. I think the question you have to ask is - if defenses take away Martinez's ability to run the ball, which is what they'll do from game 1, will we have enough other weapons that we can make them pay for stopping Martinez? When Martinez is healthy, defenses have to commit so many resources to stopping him that it opens up other parts of our offense. The question is, can we take advantage of that?

The other question for the offense is, if Martinez gets hurt again, what then?

huskerscott, as far as the Ohio State game, no way will it be as hyped as the Texas game. It'll be a big game, but more like Missouri of 2010 than like Texas. The Texas game was getting hyped like crazy at THIS time last year.

I think that question is the whole nine yards. Texas got away with it due to Ted's boys totally failing. They sold out to stop Tmart & the running game which they did and SW did the right thing by going for their throat through the air but....well, you know. I didn't see the SDSU game so am clueless about that.

The other losses were with Tmart banged up which simply killed us. No huge commitment needed from opponent DCs to stop Tmart resulted in 2009 all over again. Iowa St, TAM, Kansas, ughh. A brief initial spurt vs OU and then clamped down again.

I think a healthy Tmart opens thing up in a huge way again next year. They'll have to pick their poison and it won't be easy for them. The one thing desperately needed for this offense is a reliable power running game with the will to use it. Sure wish we had a big, fast rb and an OC who knew how to use one. Buckhalter....where are you? We're Nebraska an when it's 3rd & two....damn it, line up and punch that thing in.

The penalties, fumbles and dropped passes simply have to decrease this year, don't they?

Tmart getting hurt again next year is death to our offense I'm afraid. At least for one more year. Lot's of freshmen qbs coming in with talent but they'll have to learn the ropes the hard way. Sure would love for CG to prove me wrong on that.

Here goes:

Sat, Nov 26 Iowa W 24-20

Looks like Wats is staying. We'll be lucky to go 7-5.

post-8666-071269400 1295315255.jpg