2011 Bold Predictions

right now, this team and the coaches haven't resolved a damn thing.....7-5 until we get some real news regarding real changes...we have a sh#t load of work to do! <_<

I really hate that almost every topic gets changed into "we need a new OC or we need a new QB" thread. I am not "singling" you out, becuase I am guilty as charged (see above posts)... I agree with you Hunter.... I truly think some of the problem is the fact that our offensvie coaches are not on the same page all of the time. The guys on USC touched on this today.

It is like we have an O-line coach who is "pretty good" at coaching a power running game. He has success as our O-line coach under Solich... but, with an OC that is constantly changing the identity of the offense, it throws EVERYONE and EVERYTHING for a loop. Someone needs to decide WHAT kind of offensive team we want to be. If is isn't a power team, then Cotton might as well be gone. If it is a power team, then let's act like it. It is like Watson tries to adapt an offense around his skill people....leaving the OL and WR hanging out to dry as their assignments change yearly.

* That is HS football to some extent. At HS, you don't recruit (unless private), so you play the hand you are dealt. At division 1, you develop your identity, the RECRUIT guys to fit your style, not the opposite.

*** Sorry to HotGrill for getting off topic. I hope your Koolaid (and RUM) are right. :cheers

Yep, that's it as I see it too. Cotton is a power guy, SW/Gilmore are WCO guys and it seems Bo wants to run the spread.

Lol! If that's not a big enough cluster we also change the offense every bloody year to boot. What a mess. It's no wonder we look like the keystone cops out there.

Well, it's somewhat understandable given the disastrous condition NU was in when Bo arrived. The offense wasn't great but not totally broken and so was made a 2nd priority.

But the last two years clearly show we've got HUGE problems on that side of the ball. I'm sure Bo knows it's high time to attack that problem in a big way. A guy would think it's Bo's first priority to state what offense he wants NU to run. Then put together an OC & staff that have expertise in that. Yeah, it will be tough letting any of the SW/Gilmore/Barney crew go but that's how it is.

Oh, I suppose it's possible those guys could magically learn on the fly but that's a long shot at best. Time to pony up Bo. No one said it was going to be easy.

right now, this team and the coaches haven't resolved a damn thing.....7-5 until we get some real news regarding real changes...we have a sh#t load of work to do! <_<

I really hate that almost every topic gets changed into "we need a new OC or we need a new QB" thread. I am not "singling" you out, becuase I am guilty as charged (see above posts)... I agree with you Hunter.... I truly think some of the problem is the fact that our offensvie coaches are not on the same page all of the time. The guys on USC touched on this today.

It is like we have an O-line coach who is "pretty good" at coaching a power running game. He has success as our O-line coach under Solich... but, with an OC that is constantly changing the identity of the offense, it throws EVERYONE and EVERYTHING for a loop. Someone needs to decide WHAT kind of offensive team we want to be. If is isn't a power team, then Cotton might as well be gone. If it is a power team, then let's act like it. It is like Watson tries to adapt an offense around his skill people....leaving the OL and WR hanging out to dry as their assignments change yearly.

* That is HS football to some extent. At HS, you don't recruit (unless private), so you play the hand you are dealt. At division 1, you develop your identity, the RECRUIT guys to fit your style, not the opposite.

*** Sorry to HotGrill for getting off topic. I hope your Koolaid (and RUM) are right. :cheers

Hey - no apology needed! If the staff is indeed buckled down and working on making improvements where needed and changes where necessary - there is no need to change up the face and the success will come.

All of those guys are smart enough to figure it out - Watson included. Hell - Barney too. I cringe when they say it about themselves - but they "didn't get dumb overnight".....

Leadership, active collaboration and cooperation at this point are far more important than changing a name or a face...I really believe that.

Even with the mass quantities of Rum and Kool-aid - I don't think the OP is that far out of the question....neither is TM as a future Husker legacy....and Heisman winner or serious contender at the least.......

Yep, that's it as I see it too. Cotton is a power guy, SW/Gilmore are WCO guys and it seems Bo wants to run the spread.

Lol! If that's not a big enough cluster we also change the offense every bloody year to boot. What a mess. It's no wonder we look like the keystone cops out there.

Well, it's somewhat understandable given the disastrous condition NU was in when Bo arrived. The offense wasn't great but not totally broken and so was made a 2nd priority.

But the last two years clearly show we've got HUGE problems on that side of the ball. I'm sure Bo knows it's high time to attack that problem in a big way. A guy would think it's Bo's first priority to state what offense he wants NU to run. Then put together an OC & staff that have expertise in that. Yeah, it will be tough letting any of the SW/Gilmore/Barney crew go but that's how it is.

Oh, I suppose it's possible those guys could magically learn on the fly but that's a long shot at best. Time to pony up Bo. No one said it was going to be easy.

I think we could easily make a working offense out of this actually. Think about the Pistol Offense. Its not the spread running style we did this year its more right at you and needs a powerful line. mix in the same passing routes we've had under the WCO and Wats and gilmore could still coach the way they do and what they're good at. Just my .02 on it, not trying to derail this thread.

Anyway I think, if the penalties, fumbles, and the play of the offense doesn't improve then we'll be lucky to only lose 4 next year. If these problems do get fixed, we still find ways to lose a game every year.... EXCEPT NOT THIS YEAR!!! :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

Have you not forgot we lose Prince, Hagg, and Gomes?!

I think that's a double negative.....so I'll say no??? Yea - huge loss, but hey - what can I say? I'm nuts.

Hagg and Gomes may not be THAT big of a loss next season. Sounds crazy, but humor me. These 2 guys were versatile do-everything players that did a lot out of the nickel and dime positions that the Huskers could have them on the field pretty much full time. Against a good portion of the Big 10, the approach used against the Big 12 will not be as effective. I look for Bo to play a lot more base, with 3 true LB's on the field (David, Compton, Fisher), with Dennard locking down one side, Osbourne and Cassidy patrolling the middle, and Ciante growing into a star on the other side. There should be no shortage of youngsters looking to crack the field and show what they can do as well. Pelini has shown the ability to adjust his defense to his personnel. What the big question mark is what the offense does from here on out. If Martinez learns from this year and grows as a leader, he could turn into something special.

Forgive me but Hagg is a HUGE loss! People really downplay the importance he had on this team. Remember that Marvin Sanders said he would pick Hagg first if there was a some sort of a player draft.

Hagg was very important...LAST YEAR. My point was that I believe there will be an adjustment in the defense and that Hagg will not be missed as much as some think right now. Hagg was tremendous this year and last and his versatility and headiness helped mask some weaknesses on the defense.

Realisticly, 9-3...

Optimistically 10-2 or 11-1... I think it's going to be a meatgrinder next year.

Win Fresno State

Win Washington

Win Wyoming at Laramie, Wyo

Loss Wisconsin at Madison, Wis

Win/Loss Ohio State

Win Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn (if we whoop tOSU, could be a trap game)

Win/Loss Michigan State

Win Northwestern

Win/Loss Penn State at University Park, Pa (still have bad memories of last trip)

Win Michigan at Ann Arbor, Mich

Win Iowa

One thing is, nothing wrong going 9-3 first year in new conf. I am interested to see what happens year two, Bo is a good coach and there is plenty of talent to work with. First year in might be an adjustment but who knows, them coaches might be scouring B10 film already. Good coaches and talent equals wins. Not a big fan of t-mart, but as someone said in another post, you gotta have some stability also. I wonder if he wouldnt have been better at wide receiver, just a thought. I know he was just a freshman, I guess we will see if he learned anything by next year.