Big Ten Network

Hujan

I was pretty bummed when I learned that the Big Ten network only has one channel. So much for watching every Husker game.

Which service do you have? Cox?

I have Dish Network. My parents have dish network and they showed me what its like and it was only one channel. Like what somebody else said about alternate channels...guess that's a good thing hopefully they're in HD.

I was pretty bummed when I learned that the Big Ten network only has one channel. So much for watching every Husker game.

Which service do you have? Cox?

I have Dish Network. My parents have dish network and they showed me what its like and it was only one channel. Like what somebody else said about alternate channels...guess that's a good thing hopefully they're in HD.

Do you live in Nebraska? If so, you will only need one channel to see every Nebraska game that gets televised by the Network. They show the games regionally when multiple games are on. I currently live in Ohio with Time Warner and only one channel and every tOSU game that has been played on the Network since it has come into being has been aired in Ohio. If you live outside of Nebraska and only have the one channel deal then you might be screwed and end up seeing another Big Ten team playing when Nebraska is.

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys. In the end, I stuck with Dish and am currently watching a basketball game right now. I could have actually saved money with DirecTV, but was EXTREMELY turned off by their customer service. In my opinion, the customer service between the two companies is like night and day. I can elaborate if anyone is on the fence and wants to hear it, but suffice it to say that DirecTV's customer service is unbelievably pushy if not downright dishonest. And it wasn't just one rep; all three that I spoke with were identically pushy so it is clearly a company-backed strategy. It was like a movie. Whoever is running that company needs to think twice about how they train their employees.

For those that have Dish, what channels are the Big Ten alternates on when they use them? Or do they change?

Direct TV and Dish both have 4 HD overflow channels for BTN.

For anyone weighing what to do to get BTN I think it pretty much plays out like this:

Direct TV - Comes with most packages, with the overflow channels in all regions. From what I saw though Direct TV uses a lot of promo tricks to bring down their prices for the first 12 months on packages, equipment and DVR. Read the fine print on billing.

Dish - Comes with most packages, with the overflow channels in the B10 region. Outside B10 region you need the multi-sports package (currently $7 / month) that has bunch of regional sports networks and NFL RedZone.

Cable - Varies by provider but most major carriers in the B10 region have it in a premium tier...not sure about the overflow channels. Not sure about availability outside B10 region, probably in the most ridiculously priced package imaginable.

For anyone weighing what to do to get BTN I think it pretty much plays out like this:

Direct TV - Comes with most packages, with the overflow channels in all regions. From what I saw though Direct TV uses a lot of promo tricks to bring down their prices for the first 12 months on packages, equipment and DVR. Read the fine print on billing.

Dish - Comes with most packages, with the overflow channels in the B10 region. Outside B10 region you need the multi-sports package (currently $7 / month) that has bunch of regional sports networks and NFL RedZone.

Cable - Varies by provider but most major carriers in the B10 region have it in a premium tier...not sure about the overflow channels. Not sure about availability outside B10 region, probably in the most ridiculously priced package imaginable.

Not exactly true. The BTN is not available at all in the America's Top 120 for Dish. If you are outside of the Big Ten footprint, then it's not available at all in the America's Top 200 either. For everyone outside of the Big Ten footprint, the only way to get it is to get the multi-sports package. If you are in the Big Ten footprint, it comes with America's Top 200, but I cannot comment on whether or not you also get the overflow channels or just the single channel. (I suspect the former.)

For the record, my strong recommendation is to get the America's Top 120 plus the Multi-Sports Package. The extra channels between the 120 and 200 are basically garbage unless you have ovaries. It's basically Lifetime Movie Network, Oxygen, Discovery Health, and a bunch of ridiculous channels. If you have testicles, the 120 plus the MSP is all you need. You'll get TNT, Comedy Central, TBS, and all the good stuff, plus NFL Red Zone, NFL Network, NBA Network (hello playoffs!), NHL Network, and tons of other obscure sports channels, including all the ESPN deals. You could even tack on ESPN Gameplan to get PPV games if you really felt compelled. The best part is that it's actually $3 cheaper per month than America's Top 200.

I just became a very, very happy man tonight.

Not exactly true. The BTN is not available at all in the America's Top 120 for Dish. If you are outside of the Big Ten footprint, then it's not available at all in the America's Top 200 either. For everyone outside of the Big Ten footprint, the only way to get it is to get the multi-sports package. If you are in the Big Ten footprint, it comes with America's Top 200, but I cannot comment on whether or not you also get the overflow channels or just the single channel. (I suspect the former.)

For the record, my strong recommendation is to get the America's Top 120 plus the Multi-Sports Package. The extra channels between the 120 and 200 are basically garbage unless you have ovaries. It's basically Lifetime Movie Network, Oxygen, Discovery Health, and a bunch of ridiculous channels. If you have testicles, the 120 plus the MSP is all you need. You'll get TNT, Comedy Central, TBS, and all the good stuff, plus NFL Red Zone, NFL Network, NBA Network (hello playoffs!), NHL Network, and tons of other obscure sports channels, including all the ESPN deals. You could even tack on ESPN Gameplan to get PPV games if you really felt compelled. The best part is that it's actually $3 cheaper per month than America's Top 200.

I just became a very, very happy man tonight.

Just to reiterate, everyone within Nebraska will get all Nebraska games aired on the Network (those not picked up by our affiliates ABC and ESPN) even if you have cable. While it took some time the current Big Ten States get the Network on basic cable package (although this may not be the case for the entire state for Penn right now). It will take some time but the Big Ten lawyers will make sure you get the Network along with the basic package that brings you ESPN. No fears, it will happen. Took a year in Ohio, but every game tOSU game televised (which is all of them) gets seem in Ohio without needing a sports package.