Does anyone else...

feel that our coaching staff is just grasping as straws as far as recruiting goes? It seems lately they are scrambling and offering scholarships to any kid that will listen to them. I am very concerned about all the decommits we have had these past two months. It feels like it's 2007 again and our new coaching staff is trying to put together a decent recruiting class. I dunno....something isn't going well here.:dunno

It seems like we had alot of momentum early in the year and things looked good. But now, it does seem as if it has slowed considerably. Hopefully we can get a couple of big gets late, like Carnes and Cooper last year.

Also, can anyone remember when we had a big time recruit decommit from another school, commit to NU, and actually make it here? I guess Rome did last year, but I can't remember many more. Seems like we have way more decommits than most other schools.

I agree completely. Why is it that we have had so many decomits lately? Does the coaching staff get a commit and then stop talking to the recruit altogether? Does the staff feel secure enough that guys won't leave that they back off? I agree that it seems like we are just going after whatever else is left out there. Look at the kicker situation. I don't know anything about Bondi, but it is amazing that Sade left, so we went hard after Wile. Then Wile goes to Ann Arbor,so this morning Bondi is the plan C option?!?!

Nebraska isn't an easy sell when it comes to recruiting top talent. Our offense is a big question mark. Its been like that the past five years and so far nothing has changed. Also, everytime a head coaching job opens up Bo's name gets tossed around and creates panic and freak out mode. A lot of holes and question marks that need to be filled and answered. I think we are doing great if you ask me. Could be a helluva a lot worse...especially after what happened in the bowl game.

The difference from this year to years past lies with the "core of the class" versus the "nice to get people." The core of this class was solidified a long time ago and it's on offense, something we haven't had in a while. Ever since Pelini came on board the goal has been to get the right players here for defense. Callahan had a decent base on offense (minus a QB).

The staff is scrambling a little but it is for the nice to have recruits. Pelini also consistently states that they won't just take anyone to fill a void. If the right person comes along, he'll get a scholarship. If that right person says no, the scholarship won't be just handed out to someone else.

In years past, we got some of our most important commits late in the period. Jason Ankrah, Rex Burkhead, Corey Cooper, Brion Carnes, and Eric Martin come to mind. Heavy on defense and skill positions.

This year we needed a lot of skill players which we got early and a few defenders spread out over the positions. We have 2 DL (need 1/2 more), 1 LB (need 1 more), 2 DBs (need 1 more maybe). We always struggle at WR but we have 2 solid prospects in this class.

The point of all my rambling? We are just fine. Next year will be a small class as well so we will most likely save a few schollies for some senior walk-ons. Besides, there is still time to get 1-2 more highly rated kids.

• Fire 1

So let me get this straight out of "all" these decommits their have been two real ones, two told to go another route because of size issues, and a kid that had a 24 hour relapse. Let's look at that.

Tevin Mitchell was a long time commit and stings the most. He decided to go to a school that was closer to home and family and was his other finalist in his decision. Mom is given a job and personal comfort won out. Can you blame the kid no. Yes it sucks, but as we have said all along these are 18 year old brains we are dealing with.

Nik Sade same thing. One, it was shocking to me that the kid was coming all the way out to Nebraska in the first place. Two, when the home state favorite school comes a calling of course more often than not you will answer that call. Again personal comfort wins out.

Bouzos and Aldmire are in the same boat. They weren't cutting it in terms of expectations of NU's staff. If anyone has ever seen a written offer from a D1 school there are requirements each school has that the athlete needs to meet in order to keep the offer. Most schools include a stipulation that the athlete must meet/maintain certain physical attributes. Both we're not as big as they said they were and are not massive losses.

*If you have never seen a letter, go to Tate Forcier's website. I think it is qbforce.com or something like that. He has copies of a bunch of offers he has received, including Nebraska. The guy is a tool but the site is kinda interesting in reference to the recruiting side of things.

Darian Bryant is the one that I am most disappointed about. TE is getting to be a pretty big need with Ryan Hill giving up football, and leaving only two game experienced good TEs. Look for two signed next year. Anyways I thought this kid was ready to commit and he seemed to just rush it. But now it looks like he is heading to a school(WVU) that wasn't even one of his "finalist". Again it is the rollercoaster ride that is recruiting. You get hopes up and get a little stoked, and it all depends on what goes on in a 17/18 year olds head. Someone for the most part can't figure out what they will do tomorrow let a lone the next four/five years of their life.

Skerschicago has hit it on the head post after post usually, and this one is no different. The core of this class was what NU got early especially on the offensive side. Everything else has/will be icing on the cake.

I find it kinda funny how so many people get their feathers ruffled over kids that we really start making a push for late, that commit elsewhere. This is more of an issue about the lack/effort made during the inseason recruiting phase IMO especially in terms of official visits. The ball was dropped, even though I understand they are busy with game planning and prep. Some staff members are everywhere recruiting(JP, Ron Brown) while some appear to need a kick in the ass, something thathas been hashed about in other threads.

So while there have been some disappointments along the way, none have been an overly suprising shock. Just like in 2007. Remember this, these athletes have to do what they feel is best for them. If that means turning down an opportunity to play for some of the graetest minds(well defensively) in the game to stay closer to home for personal comfort so be it. It happens every year. And it will continue to happen.

Tis the game of recruiting, and in the immortal words of Kevin Bacon I end with this

• Fire 2