Thinner Playbook

IIRC, Dr Tom's offense consisted of a dozen+ complimentary plays ran from multiple formations.

You can view a sample of Dr. Tom's multiple formations and plays within each formation here.

Some of you are already familiar with this website, but for those of you who aren't, it's highly recommended reading. Furthermore, compare the Nebraska run game to the Oregon run game. The similarities are uncanny in language and concept. FYI, Chip Kelly did visit Nebraska coaches while Dr. Tom was still head man at NU back in the 90s so it's not surprising why similarities exist between the two.

No matter how good a play is, the offensive line needs to step it up in order to make it work

Ditto!

This saying may be a broken record, cliche, beating a dead horse, whatever else you wanna call it, but: It Starts In The Trenches.

I had heard of this site. I have now spent the better part of a rainy day checking it out. Thanks Nex.

:thumbs

To quote the aforementioned website in my previous post, this was the reason why our O-line had success during the Osborne era.

Despite the large number of different running plays the Nebraska coaches reportedly kept it fairly simple for the offensive line. The idea was to have a large number of runs possible attacking all the different gaps in the line using relatively few blocking schemes.

Hopefully Beck's playbook is similar conceptually speaking. The less the O-line has to think, the better off they'll be.

The blocking schemes during the Osborne era were anything but simple. I've attached our 97 playbook that is out on the internet.

There were 170 plays in the 1997 Nebraska Offensive playbook, which isn't exactly simple. Mike Leach's offense, was actually pretty simple. They ran a handful of plays, but ran them out of different formations and used great repetition in practice to get to the level of execution that they had.

Also, it's been pointed out that Chip Kelly took inspiration from TO for his offense, which is true. But Chris Ault specifically says that his offense was developed off of what TO's mid 90's offense was, so the pistol was developed based of TO's offense primarily.

I knew there was a reason I liked watching Nevada's offense so much chuckleshuffle

I will have to say I'm a bit concerned that TMart will be able to recognize defenses and call many audibles this year. I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong. That may end up being one of the deciding factor about who ends up our QB this year---a combination of athletic ability and "smarts".

I dont think the audibles will be up to the QB. Just like what was run at KU when Beck was there the QB and skill players will turn around and check the sideline whether or not to continue with the called play or switch to a new one. I dont think Martinez or whoever is QB is going to be up there acting like Peyton Manning by having the freedom to change the play at the line.

IIRC, Dr Tom's offense consisted of a dozen+ complimentary plays ran from multiple formations.

You can view a sample of Dr. Tom's multiple formations and plays within each formation here.

Some of you are already familiar with this website, but for those of you who aren't, it's highly recommended reading. Furthermore, compare the Nebraska run game to the Oregon run game. The similarities are uncanny in language and concept. FYI, Chip Kelly did visit Nebraska coaches while Dr. Tom was still head man at NU back in the 90s so it's not surprising why similarities exist between the two.

No matter how good a play is, the offensive line needs to step it up in order to make it work

Ditto!

This saying may be a broken record, cliche, beating a dead horse, whatever else you wanna call it, but: It Starts In The Trenches.

I had heard of this site. I have now spent the better part of a rainy day checking it out. Thanks Nex.

:thumbs

To quote the aforementioned website in my previous post, this was the reason why our O-line had success during the Osborne era.

Despite the large number of different running plays the Nebraska coaches reportedly kept it fairly simple for the offensive line. The idea was to have a large number of runs possible attacking all the different gaps in the line using relatively few blocking schemes.

Hopefully Beck's playbook is similar conceptually speaking. The less the O-line has to think, the better off they'll be.

The blocking schemes during the Osborne era were anything but simple. I've attached our 97 playbook that is out on the internet.

There were 170 plays in the 1997 Nebraska Offensive playbook, which isn't exactly simple. Mike Leach's offense, was actually pretty simple. They ran a handful of plays, but ran them out of different formations and used great repetition in practice to get to the level of execution that they had.

Also, it's been pointed out that Chip Kelly took inspiration from TO for his offense, which is true. But Chris Ault specifically says that his offense was developed off of what TO's mid 90's offense was, so the pistol was developed based of TO's offense primarily.

I knew there was a reason I liked watching Nevada's offense so much chuckleshuffle

The attachment may not have gone through; I didn't see it. Also, Nexus was saying that although we ran a number of different plays, the blocking schemes for the offense were not too complex and had a lot of overlap from play to play. Not sure if that is true or not, but if so, it does mean that the complexity of our O-line schemes cannot be judged on the basis of the playbook's thickness alone.