House votes to defund Planned Parenthood

That wasn't always the case for the VA, though. They've cleaned up their act in recent years, but there were years and years of government mismanagement there as well. It's a mixed bag.

Absolutely correct. That was what I meant when I said "widely maligned." Now they are so efficient and provide such excellent care that they are routinely consulted by private hospitals attempting to increase efficiency.

The biggest single change for them was the embracing of EMR/EHR technology. This is one of my pet issues . . . I've given presentations and written position memos on the topic.

That wasn't always the case for the VA, though. They've cleaned up their act in recent years, but there were years and years of government mismanagement there as well. It's a mixed bag.

Absolutely correct. That was what I meant when I said "widely maligned." Now they are so efficient and provide such excellent care that they are routinely consulted by private hospitals attempting to increase efficiency.

The biggest single change for them was the embracing of EMR/EHR technology. This is one of my pet issues . . . I've given presentations and written position memos on the topic.

While I will not argue that with you, all one has to do is look at the waste in Medicare, Medicaid, the military, education, etc, etc, to see that government as a whole (with the recent exception of the VA) has been plagued with over spending and waste.

While I will not argue that with you, all one has to do is look at the waste in Medicare, Medicaid, the military, education, etc, etc, to see that government as a whole (with the recent exception of the VA) has been plagued with over spending and waste.

Sure there's waste. In some cases shocking waste. I think it's interesting that there is less waste in a wholly government owned and run VA hospital than when they pay private providers through Medicare and Medicaid.

Does that mean that people are gaming the system in the latter examples while the government itself is less wasteful when wholly responsible for providing the service?

Sure there's waste. In some cases shocking waste. I think it's interesting that there is less waste in a wholly government owned and run VA hospital than when they pay private providers through Medicare and Medicaid.

Does that mean that people are gaming the system in the latter examples while the government itself is less wasteful when wholly responsible for providing the service?

Possibly. Sadly. It would be just like if you owned your own Carlfense Landscaping and Carlfense Land Management. Your landscaping firm certainly wouldn't charge your land management firm the same as you would ABC Land Management, and payment would be much smoother.

Doctors and hospitals are charging as much as they can when the government and/or insurance companies are responsible for paying the bill, thus making health care unreasonable.

Also, the simple fact that government agencies regularly throw away excess funds if they come in under budget so that they won't face funding cuts for the next year does not help. And, I think we have all had to deal with government red tape.

Possibly. Sadly. It would be just like if you owned your own Carlfense Landscaping and Carlfense Land Management. Your landscaping firm certainly wouldn't charge your land management firm the same as you would ABC Land Management, and payment would be much smoother.

Doctors and hospitals are charging as much as they can when the government and/or insurance companies are responsible for paying the bill, thus making health care unreasonable.

Also, the simple fact that government agencies regularly throw away excess funds if they come in under budget so that they won't face funding cuts for the next year does not help. And, I think we have all had to deal with government red tape.

The bold isn't quite true. The government actually sets the price that they will pay the provider through the physician fee schedule. The doctor (such as my lovely fiance) tells the government what she did, and they tell her how much they will pay for it.

Most insurance companies also set amounts that they will pay for a given service.

The bold isn't quite true. The government actually sets the price that they will pay the provider through the physician fee schedule. The doctor (such as my lovely fiance) tells the government what she did, and they tell her how much they will pay for it.

Most insurance companies also set amounts that they will pay for a given service.

But, if a doctor/hospital would charge someone without insurance but pays cash $200 for some service, but the gov't decides they will pay $300, while insurance companies decide that U&C is $425, you can bet that they will charge up to that limit.

That's where waste comes from, such as a $6 Tylenol at a hospital.

But, if a doctor/hospital would charge someone without insurance but pays cash $200 for some service, but the gov't decides they will pay $300, while insurance companies decide that U&C is $425, you can bet that they will charge up to that limit.

That's where waste comes from, such as a $6 Tylenol at a hospital.

Actually, the government and insurance prices are almost always lower than the listed cash prices. I.E. the hospital gets paid $50 for an x-ray if it is paid by Medicaid . . . but if you paid out of pocket for the same x-ray they would charge you $75.

Also, little known fact, you can negotiate with your health provider. You can bargain for a lower rate.

These sorts of issues combined with a grossly misinformed public is why it is so difficult to actually have a meaningful discussion on health reform. Everyone thinks that they know the facts . . . but it turns out that many commonly held beliefs are totally false.

• 5 weeks later...

Your original thread has 'Planned Parenthood' in the title and you now say 'Health Organizations'. I understand that they advertise other services, but lets not be naive. I actually doubt this ever changes anything. They will find a way to fund this one way or another.

Are you saying you think Planned Parenthood isn't a health organization? Just a front for abortions?

I guess you can't get a mammogram there anymore...if ever.

Link

I'd like to see the entirety of those calls and not just the edited clips. I hope it's not another of those James O'Keefe style hatchet pieces . . . that falls apart under genuine scrutiny.

Additionally, absence of mammograms at a dozen or so PP clinics doesn't mean that PP doesn't offer them at all.

I'd like to see the entirety of those calls and not just the edited clips. I hope it's not another of those James O'Keefe style hatchet pieces . . . that falls apart under genuine scrutiny.

Additionally, absence of mammograms at a dozen or so PP clinics doesn't mean that PP doesn't offer them at all.

Fair argument...I agree

Fair argument...I agree

I'd imagine that PP will respond in some fashion. If they really don't offer mammograms at all they've got some explaining to do.

Reading a bunch of teen to middle age men argue about the merits of PP is f'ing hilarious! As if anyone of you wingbats should or do have a worthwhile opinion on the matter. This is fully a women's right's issue and nothing more.

Sadly the political (and worse) the religious "right" have once again painted their morality legislation as a tax or funding issue, rather than the religiously motivated hack job that it truly is. You've gotta hand it to them though, for once again proving how easily religious and moral hysteria can be used to bend the will of the people. (And by people I mean spineless politicians and their lackeys who have no intention of solving this country's REAL problems. And instead spend there time blathering about ridiculous non-issues like abortion and same sax marriage.) O well, it's not like cutting programs like PP could have any adverse or long lasting affects on the 51% of the U.S. population that happen to be female, right?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-february-22-2011/mother-f--kers

IMO, Fat Mike said it best........"If you think that reproductive rights are in consequent, f#*k YOU you're wrong!!!" -NOFX

• 4 years later...

You can call it whatever you want. Planned parenthood does more abortions then any other provider in this country.

contraception constituted 35% of total services, STI/STD testing and treatment constituted 34%, cancer testing and screening constituted 17%; and other women's health procedures, including pregnancy, prenatal, midlife, and infertility were 10%. 2% to 3% of visits involve abortions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Parenthood

Go ahead and start @1:25