I feel the need, the need for SPEED!

knapplc

Look who we have at the skill positions next year:

QB

Taylor Martinez - damned fast. Showed breakaway speed on multiple runs last year. The clear headliner of the QB position.

Brion Carnes - allegedly also quite quick. Scout has him listed with a 4.64 40, but allegedly he's also a good passer. The ability to pass makes his feet faster when the defense has to respect his arm.

Cody Green - not "fast," but like Carnes, a threat with the arm. Cody is (allegedly) developing as a passer, and an all-around QB.

Jamal Turner - 4.49 40 per Scout. An assortment of other skills makes him an intriguing recruit, and could put him on the field at WR immediately.

RB

Rex Burkhead - the incumbent and only experienced RB expected to play a major role this fall. Rex has unquestioned toughness and has already proven himself, but he won't be the only RB toting the rock this year. Scout has him down with a 4.6 40.

Braylon Heard - Heard appears to have qualified and should be ready for the Fall campaign. Scout says he's got 4.45 speed. Whew.

Ameer Abdullah - Rivals lists his 40 time at 4.51. He ran for 1,800 yards and 24 TDs at Alabama's highest level last year.

Aaron Green - the jewel of this year's RB class. Ran a 4.48 40 according to Scout. 2,000 yards and 27 TDs last year at Texas' highest level. Kid is definitely a gamer.

WR

Brandon Kinnie - the incumbent at WR, Kinnie ran a 4.46 40 during his recruiting days. He's big, durable, and quick.

Quincy Enunwa - Rivals says he ran a 4.5 40. He's a big body with quickness.

Taariq Allen - Rivals says he ran a 4.58 40.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste - Rivals says he ran a 4.45 40.

Kenny Bell - Rivals says he ran a 4.45 40.

Khiry Cooper - Scout says he ran a 4.5 40.

Curenski Gilleylen - Rivals says he ran a 4.5 40.

Tim Marlowe - Rivals says he ran a 4.5 40.

Seven of eight ran 4.5 or below. Pick your top three and match them up against DBs and watch them fly.

TE

Kyler Reed - The only TE really worth mentioning in the speed conversation, Reed is listed at 4.5 by Rivals. He presents matchup problems for some DBs - if we put a fleet of speedy WRs out there, Reed gets matched with a LB, and that's a huge advantage in our favor.

Imagine looking at this lineup on film as a DC and trying to figure out how to match up with them:

QB - Martinez

RB - Burkhead/Green

WR - Kinnie/Enunwa/Jean-Baptiste

TE - Reed

That is a fast lineup. Maybe not the best ever, maybe not world-class speed, but fast enough that we'll have mismatches to exploit in the B1G.

Alot of those 4.5 numbers are inflated, but nevertheless there will be incredible speed on this offense in the years to come. It is just a matter of properly utilizing it and finding guys that can block. I still think every team needs that big bruiser who can get the job done on 3rd and 1.

That's what I like about where I THINK this offense is headed. Similar to when Beck was at KU, they focused on getting their playmakers the ball, in space and let them make plays. If you have a team with speed like it appears we do, get these guys the ball and let them make plays with their feet. Get them in one on one situations and see what they can do.

all those ferrari's still have to be able to make it through the trenches

And the sun rises in the East. Any other obvious facts you want to point out?

the sun sets in the west - can I post on Huskerboard without you shedding a tear and calling me out?

Why do you get mad when you post after me, contradict what I say, then I respond and point out the holes in your logic? :dunno

the sun sets in the west - can I post on Huskerboard without you shedding a tear and calling me out?

Why do you get mad when you post after me, contradict what I say, then I respond and point out the holes in your logic? :dunno

With all due respect, he didn't really contradict your post in respect that the point you made was that we will be fast. He related the players to a ferrari, which is fast, also. He was simply adding another aspect to the conversation.

With all due respect, he didn't really contradict your post in respect that the point you made was that we will be fast. He related the players to a ferrari, which is fast, also. He was simply adding another aspect to the conversation.

So sue me because I used the word "contradict."