CONGDON

skers

no wind at all. he just couldn't seem to get any power behind his kicks. I watched two fall short and one barely sneak over the crossbar. for all I know he was just messing around or not trying very hard or something of that nature, but it seemed like he was going 100%.  I know he can kick the ball harder, we've all seen him do it, this is why I wonder if there's something wrong with him.

Give congdon time, I saw him in baylor and 46 yards was about his limit his leg will get stronger. And I also watched dyches and he is very inaccurate. Congdon is the better kicker!

The frosh keeps chugging along. Made good kicks against MU. Anyone notice that the kid is getting the ball up there pretty quickly? Better than the first part of the season. :thumbs You could tell from the shot they had on the Callahan show this weekend.

The frosh keeps chugging along. Made good kicks against MU. Anyone notice that the kid is getting the ball up there pretty quickly? Better than the first part of the season. :thumbs You could tell from the shot they had on the Callahan show this weekend.

Yeah, his lone field goal was money. The extra points looked good. He is looking pretty solid, glad he's a Cornhusker. :thumbs

I agree he is looking better then earlier, his kicks don't look quite so ugly as before but he is still shaky at best for me and I'm suprised he was the number 1 kicker in the nation in high school last year when he struggles past 40 yards for distance. Also struggles on kick offs.

I agree he is looking better then earlier, his kicks don't look quite so ugly as before but he is still shaky at best for me and I'm suprised he was the number 1 kicker in the nation in high school last year when he struggles past 40 yards for distance. Also struggles on kick offs.

Once again.............

Jordan Congdon has made six straight field goals, and now is 12 of 15 (80 percent) for his freshman season.

Here are Congdon's stats against the best kicker in the Country. Which happens to be the best kicker in our Conference.

XPM XPA XP% FGM FGA FG%

Jordan Congdon, Nebraska 18 19 94.7 12 15 80.0

Mason Crosby, Colorado 23 23 100.0 11 14 78.6

Benard you don't want a kicker that is hitting 80% of his field goals? Dyches was 14-21 his freshman year and you love his kicking.

Also struggles on kick offs.

If you define struggling as not kicking it through the end zone every time, then yea, he struggles. However, that's not what the coaches want him to do all the time.

Example, during the Wake game he was told to land the ball at atleast the 10 yard line with as much hang time as possible. This, obviously, is to give the cover team enough time to get down there and possibly pin the team inside the 20. It worked pretty well in that game. Now, we haven't really had that strategy since this AFAIK, so Wesch has got quite a few kickoffs, save Dyches against Baylor.

Also struggles on kick offs.

If you define struggling as not kicking it through the end zone every time, then yea, he struggles. However, that's not what the coaches want him to do all the time.

Example, during the Wake game he was told to land the ball at atleast the 10 yard line with as much hang time as possible. This, obviously, is to give the cover team enough time to get down there and possibly pin the team inside the 20. It worked pretty well in that game. Now, we haven't really had that strategy since this AFAIK, so Wesch has got quite a few kickoffs, save Dyches against Baylor.

It also uses up the clock, which could be another strategy

Here are Congdon's stats against the best kicker in the Country. Which happens to be the best kicker in our Conference.

XPM XPA XP% FGM FGA FG%

Jordan Congdon, Nebraska 18 19 94.7 12 15 80.0

Mason Crosby, Colorado 23 23 100.0 11 14 78.6

Benard you don't want a kicker that is hitting 80% of his field goals? Dyches was 14-21 his freshman year and you love his kicking.

Thanks for the stats

I will say he doesn't have quite the leg strength I thought he would have as a recruit, but he seems to be very accurate and is getting better. He appears to be very good from 42 yards and less. At least at this stage, he doesn't appear to be a long FG kicker. Hopefully he can increase his leg strength five to 10 yards, but I am no expert and don't know the reality of that happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Me again...

Kicker gives NU coaches confidence

Sure, Nebraska's Jordan Congdon has made his last seven field goals. And he's only one field goal away from tying the NU season record for a freshman at 14. And he's first nationally among freshmen in field-goal accuracy at .813 (13 of 16). Just don't look for Congdon to celebrate any of that success now, or to mope about any future struggles.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to do it one more time:

ESPN - All-Freshman Team

All-Freshman Team

The Dash has put together its best guess at the best 11 freshman offensive players in Division I-A. Next week, the best 11 on defense. (Note: Outraged e-mails demanding to know why Joe Pulling Guard from My Favorite School didn't make the team should be sent to GetAGrip@GetOverIt.com. It's a big country out there, and some guys are going to be left off -- and it's not because of a deep, dark, sinister ESPN bias against Your Favorite School. Thank you.)

QB -- Tim Hiller (11), Western Michigan. From Bob Knight's hometown of Orrville, Ohio, Hiller became the Broncos' starter at midseason after injury to Ryan Cubit and has been unconscious ever since. Has 20 touchdowns and three interceptions -- and if he'd played enough games, his passer rating of 180.1 would easily lead the country.

Tom Pidgeon/Getty Images

Northwestern freshman Tyrell Sutton rushed for 126.4 yards per game in 2005. RB -- Tyrell Sutton (12), Northwestern. Another Ohio product making it big outside the borders. Sutton ranks fifth in the country in rushing at 126.4 yards per game.

RB -- Darren McFadden (13), Arkansas. Pat Dye watched the 1,000-yard rusher at work and pronounced him the best freshman he'd seen in the SEC since Bo Jackson. His 6.95 yards-per-carry was second-best among the nation's top 45 rushers, beaten only by Mr. Reggie Bush.

WR -- James Hardy (14), Indiana. Slowed by injury in the second half of the season, the two-sport athlete (basketball, too) still finished with 893 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns in 10 games.

WR -- Sidney Rice (15), South Carolina. Strong guy with great hands had an eight-game streak of catching at least one touchdown pass, and had 100 yards receiving in five of his last six games.

TE -- Chase Coffman (16), Missouri. Has 39 catches for 404 yards and three TDs on the season.

OL -- Cole Popovich (17), Fresno State. Another in a long line of offensive linemen to play right away and play well for Pat Hill.

OL -- Dallas Reynolds (18), BYU. The 345-pounder has started all year at guard, giving up just three sacks.

OL -- Jonathan Luigs (19), Arkansas. Leads the team in knockdown blocks, averaging more than six per game.

OL -- Alex Boone (20), Ohio State. Huge (6-foot-8, 315 pounds) blue-chip signee has wasted little time earning playing time on a veteran line.

OL -- Ryan Clady (21), Boise State. At 6-6, 312 pounds, his potential is immense. Formed a big bookend to senior Daryn Colledge at the other tackle.

PK -- Jordan Congdon (22), Nebraska. He's 15 of 18 on field goals, having made his last nine straight. Kicked a 40-yarder with a minute left to beat Kansas State and sew up a bowl bid, and has made 25 straight PATs.