Zone Read Options?

i personally do not like oregons offense at all. If they didnt have the ridiculous speed that they did in the backfield i just feel like it wouldnt work. I really hope for our sake we dont try this.

I really don't think you'll see things that goofy. There is a lot of misdirection and movement in the backfield with Oregon. I tend to believe that whatever we run will be a little more conventional and power oriented than that. It's almost as though they took a good thing (speed and spreading defenses out) and went too far. Personally, I actually liked Oregon's offense more in 2009 than in 2010 when it was a little more straightforward.

i personally do not like oregons offense at all. If they didnt have the ridiculous speed that they did in the backfield i just feel like it wouldnt work. I really hope for our sake we dont try this.

I really don't think you'll see things that goofy. There is a lot of misdirection and movement in the backfield with Oregon. I tend to believe that whatever we run will be a little more conventional and power oriented than that. It's almost as though they took a good thing (speed and spreading defenses out) and went too far. Personally, I actually liked Oregon's offense more in 2009 than in 2010 when it was a little more straightforward.

Oregon, like any offense, is going to give their opponent as many different looks as they can to try and confuse them, but that doesn't make them less physical, and it doesn't necessarily make it more complex, as long as they keep general concepts relatively simple. See this thread: Chip Kelly Describes His Running Game

Well said. If I never hear another thing about Oregon and their offense again I will be happy. It's even worse when people compare our new offense without even seeing it yet to possibly being like theirs. Cringeworthy.

Well said. If I never hear another thing about Oregon and their offense again I will be happy. It's even worse when people compare our new offense without even seeing it yet to possibly being like theirs. Cringeworthy.

Nebraska's Opponents' Avg. Defensive Rank: 73.3

Oregon's Opponents' Avg. Defensive Rank: 70.4

Nebraska Offense Points Per Game: 30.85

Oregon Offense Points Per Game: 47

I also don't understand why there's this big mystery concerning what our offense is going to look like. We've been moving towards the spread option since Bo became head coach. His release of Watson and promotion of Tim Beck was simply the latest installment of that transformation, not a change of direction. You've got recruits saying that we're going to do more of what Oregon does in order to play to Martinez's strengths. You've got Mangino and other old acquaintances of Beck saying he'll play to the strengths of his personnel (with Martinez, that would be spread option). You've got them talking about moving at a faster tempo, looking to the sideline for audibles, being a run-first offense, they're recruiting little scatbacks like the ones Oregon recruits, they've been recruiting running QBs, and Tim Beck himself coached a flexbone option offense at the high school level before transforming it into a spread option type offense.

I think there is literally nothing but blind, misplaced hope which is leading people to think that there is going to be some change in the direction of our offense away from the spread option. I will be absolutely shocked if it is not some version of the spread option, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't look fairly similar to Oregon's base offense.

Tom Osborne isn't walking downstairs to coach the offense. Touchdown Tommie, Lawrence, Ahman, and the Pipeline aren't walking through those doors.

All offensive philosophies are capable of putting up huge points and laying complete eggs. What it comes down to is, do you trust the coaches? They haven't done anything yet, but I sure as hell like what I see so far, at least in Pelini.

I also don't understand why there's this big mystery concerning what our offense is going to look like. We've been moving towards the spread option since Bo became head coach. His release of Watson and promotion of Tim Beck was simply the latest installment of that transformation, not a change of direction. You've got recruits saying that we're going to do more of what Oregon does in order to play to Martinez's strengths. You've got Mangino and other old acquaintances of Beck saying he'll play to the strengths of his personnel (with Martinez, that would be spread option). You've got them talking about moving at a faster tempo, looking to the sideline for audibles, being a run-first offense, they're recruiting little scatbacks like the ones Oregon recruits, they've been recruiting running QBs, and Tim Beck himself coached a flexbone option offense at the high school level before transforming it into a spread option type offense.

I think there is literally nothing but blind, misplaced hope which is leading people to think that there is going to be some change in the direction of our offense away from the spread option. I will be absolutely shocked if it is not some version of the spread option, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't look fairly similar to Oregon's base offense.

I agree. I dont think there is any question we will be running a spread option next year. But every team has their own variation of it to optimize the talents of the players on the field. When i said i hope we dont run anything like that i was referring to the trailing back that goes 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage before the ball is hiked. I love the spread/zone option but i do not want us to try to act too flashy and end up with half the plays ending up with negative yardage.

I agree. I dont think there is any question we will be running a spread option next year. But every team has their own variation of it to optimize the talents of the players on the field. When i said i hope we dont run anything like that i was referring to the trailing back that goes 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage before the ball is hiked. I love the spread/zone option but i do not want us to try to act too flashy and end up with half the plays ending up with negative yardage.

:yeah

Like you say, Hercules, there is no doubt that we will be running a spread-option offense. But questions remain about exactly what that will mean. Yes, it will feature smaller backs and running QBs. But there are still subtle nuances that remain to be seen. Both Florida and Oregon ran/run "spread-option" offenses, yet they look nothing alike. Oregon's relied HEAVILY on motion and misdirection, whereas Florida relied more on power.

Tom Osborne isn't walking downstairs to coach the offense. Touchdown Tommie, Lawrence, Ahman, and the Pipeline aren't walking through those doors.

All offensive philosophies are capable of putting up huge points and laying complete eggs. What it comes down to is, do you trust the coaches? They haven't done anything yet, but I sure as hell like what I see so far, at least in Pelini.

You also have to have the athletes to run any offense successfully. Also just like what was said above two teams can run the exact same supposed offense and look nothing a like. That's why all of this Oregon talk is so nauseating. This is going to be Tim Beck's offense for the most part and I don't think anyone knows just exactly what he's going to do and moreso who is going to be the guy running said offense.

I saw one element perhaps we might see in future ... after the fake to the RB, the QB throws a quick pass to a receiver in the flat. Forces the D to spread out more if executed well.

But here's a question I asked a while back. Can you make the zone read into a triple option, where the QB either hands off to a RB, QB runs it, or pitches it to another back (in the slot) trailing the QB?

Oregon runs it to perfection.

You also have to have the athletes to run any offense successfully. Also just like what was said above two teams can run the exact same supposed offense and look nothing a like. That's why all of this Oregon talk is so nauseating. This is going to be Tim Beck's offense for the most part and I don't think anyone knows just exactly what he's going to do and moreso who is going to be the guy running said offense.

It's just a professional's way of giving the lay person a reference point of where the offense is headed.

Doesn't matter whether we're going to look like Florida, Oregon, or whoever.

We need an offensive line that can consistently sustain blocks, and can drastically reduce false starts, holding, and any kind of flag-worthy activity.

We need our QB to make the right decision at the mesh, as we saw far too often that didn't happen.

We need our QB to make good reads off play action and throw a good ball.

We need our WR's to continue blocking well and CATCH THE BALL.

If we do these things, the 'new' Nebraska offense will be as popular as the Os-bone from the 90's.

• Fire 1

Doesn't matter whether we're going to look like Florida, Oregon, or whoever.

We need an offensive line that can consistently sustain blocks, and can drastically reduce false starts, holding, and any kind of flag-worthy activity.

We need our QB to make the right decision at the mesh, as we saw far too often that didn't happen.

We need our QB to make good reads off play action and throw a good ball.

We need our WR's to continue blocking well and CATCH THE BALL.

Yep.