Do you Believe Now?

I have so many questions after Saturday. I have to start by saying I haven't been much of a supporter of Callahan/Norvell's offense thusfar, so here goes:

Do you believe in this system now?

Almost 500 yards of offense, appeared to really take advantage of the opponents weakness, consistency, were all there Saturday. I still don't know if this staff has the ability to adjust in game but I no longer have any doubt in this system's ability. Any negatives about the offense are nitpicking at this point. The red zone play was disturbing and then I listened to Peyton Manning talk about Indy's struggles to score TD's in the RZ. I beleive the WCO will always struggle in the red zone because it loves to work in space and their just isn't much there. I am a firm believer that Lucky and Glenn are going to make a big difference next year in the red zone because there are guys that can move the pile. Much the way the Raiders used Tyrone Weatley in their Super Bowl year, when you get in the RZ, you need a guy that can push the pile. I love Cory, one of my favorite Husker backs of all time and a great fit for the WCO, but he's not going to move the pile.

Playing Possum?

I couldn't get over the playcalling on Saturday. Was the coaching staff holding back in the OOC schedule? Did we see 1 crossing route in 3 games? I can't believe you would jeopardize a loss OOC to save your best for the B12, but I also can't believe you learn execute this many new plays in 2 weeks.

Congdon needs gonged?

Kid looks scared out there and frankly so am I. I think you need to play this by the seat of your pants the rest of the year. If the Skers stay in the B12 north hunt you have to have the big kicks by Dyches, atleast 35 yards in. Never should have gone to OT with ISU if we hit a chip shot. I realize you don't want to kill the kid's confidence, but this is a huge transition year for the program. 8-3 and a B12 north title vs. 6-5 and a bowl WILL make a difference in recruiting this year. We can't afford to lose a game or two on FG's.

Is Coz the man?

I still really despise his soft coverages on the corners. Particularly when you are going to bring the house 2 out of every 3 plays. But Coz has alot of McBride in him in that he refuses to let the running game beat him. I love the prospects of Bowman as a senior next year and Green and Leon at safety, but we need another lock down guy. I have to believe this is still a priority with the incoming class. As bad as Green looked yesterday I still believe Grixby is the guy who needs to be off the field. He's not just lacking experience, I'm not sure he's going to ever be a good corner at that size.

Receivers?

Just how good would this offense have been Saturday if your go to guys were Spain, Brooks, Nunn and Hardy instead of Swift, Nunn and Mulkey? That being said, I think Swift can be that real possession receiver in this offense and a tough guy over the middle.

Where did this Taylor come from?

His accuracy was insane on Saturday. I can only remember one throw that wasn't on the money (3rd down he had Fluellen open at the marker). Kid was amazingly accurate and showed awesome pocket presence. His scrambles were well timed and devastating. What I want to know is if coach Anderson is available to stop by this week and teach Zach how to slide.....ouch, a couple of those hits were jarring.

Call me crazy but I loved the attempted black out. Call me even crazier but I'll take NU and the points big this week.

NU 27, TT 17.

Is Coz the man?

I still really despise his soft coverages on the corners. Particularly when you are going to bring the house 2 out of every 3 plays. But Coz has alot of McBride in him in that he refuses to let the running game beat him. I love the prospects of Bowman as a senior next year and Green and Leon at safety, but we need another lock down guy. I have to believe this is still a priority with the incoming class. As bad as Green looked yesterday I still believe Grixby is the guy who needs to be off the field. He's not just lacking experience, I'm not sure he's going to ever be a good corner at that size.

At this point, the corners NEED to keep recievers in front of them. If they get behind them by making a bad break on the ball or for some other reason, touchdown other team.

I believe in this offense. Having said that, I will believe more in the players who run it when they are able to do it on a consistent basis.

I loved what NU did on Saturday, and am still excited. The team chemistry is amazing on this squad. However, it will be tested after a loss. When NU loses, we will know more about this team than we do now.

ZT is a man among boys.

What a great win!

Go Big Red!!!!!!!

Is Coz the man?

At this point, the corners NEED to keep recievers in front of them. If they get behind them by making a bad break on the ball or for some other reason, touchdown other team.

dave is absolutely coorect on this one...........

hunter

Don't forget.. we were actually losing in this game, and came back. There were some questioning if we could win a game if we fell behind at any point.. well we did. Looks like we've got a decent team going... for how young it is, it looked great saturday.

My point if you are going to blitz as much as we are and giving the type of cushion we are giving you are just giving away the "hot" route read for the QB. In the 90's, blitzed alot and played bump and run. Or zone blitzed and made the QB find that "hot" route before the blitz got to him.

I like our chances alot better on a QB trying to make the deep throw under pressure than making an obvious hot route read on a corner whose is 12 yards off the ball.

Interesting points all around...

I, for one, do not like corners too far off the ball. But I guess size and ability plays there. TT will be very interesting considering this.

Pressure on the QB will help...

I guess I see the run game as more a structural thing, and the pass game as more a positioning thing. One thing about being off the ball.........

the corners should have a preset route, but the should also KNOW and anticipate the weak spot in their defense. I'm positive that they are aware of this. But realistically, even if you are dropping back into coverage, being off the ball, you must anticipate the short underneath routes. Maybe that duality of doing one thing, and anticipating another... well, nvm.

But whever I think of defense, pass D specifically, I really think it's about knowing where the openings are going to be, as opposed to trying to make sure there are no openings. Like, in a zone - there can be holes, but if they are expected as to where they should be, then making the play on theball should be easier.

Heh, but it's always a lot more complicated than that, I know.

:woo GBR!

TT isnt as tall at the receiver position as Iowa State. Hicks has decent size, but we arent giving up 7 or 8 inches like we were to state when Grixby was matched up on Davis or Blythe. Two things killed us against Tech last year. Crossing routes, which we need to jam and disrupt, and Fly patterns. We cant let the receivers get to the outside shoulder away from saftety help. Jam them in toward the middle of the field, and let the linebackers play aggessive on coverage. We wont be able to completely stop them, but holding them to 13 points or so in a realistic goal, and scoring 30 is just as realistic on our side.

We have so many different things we can do now. It's great to have so many different tools to use. I just wish we had a "money" Tight End.

One thing that I saw that really amazed me. When Cory Ross broke for the 70 yard run, he worked them, he made tacklers miss, and got the last tackler turned around. That was great....

But, seeing Zach throw to 5 different poeple is success, I think we will only improve and fine tune this offensive machine. We are getting there.