Rex Burkhead ready to carry the load

Rex Burkhead has long been known by his fans, both in high school and college, as Superman.

The Nebraska junior running back might want to really find a cape this spring.

First and foremost, coaches hope Burkhead displays superhero-like powers simply so he doesn't fall victim to injury.

Nebraska holds the first of 15 spring practices Saturday, and Burkhead, last year's third-leading rusher, will be the only experienced veteran at his position.

That doesn't mean coaches will limit his activity in the spring, said recently promoted offensive coordinator Tim Beck, who was Burkhead's position coach the last two seasons. In fact, they'll be leaning on Burkhead now more than ever, specifically from a leadership standpoint.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_bf659176-409e-5b6b-ae3a-6ba49fc758f7.html

Rex-Cat, I think he's going to have a break out year and make a push for Heisman.

Agreed, thinking his all-purpose yards could be awesome, barring no injurys!

I love rex as much as the next guy. But HEISMAN, you got to be kidding. No way REX will be in the running for the heisman. I think if Rexy is gonna be getting most of the touches out of the RB spot, I dont think he is gonna be doing too much kick returning or punt returning.

Line him up in backfield. Let some else do the kick and punt returning like Aaron Green or Kenny Bell that everyone seems to have a hard on for. We need to keep Rex healthy, he is our only offensive threat right now.

have you seen him recently? he's been doing some serious time in the weight room. looks ready to take a yearlong grind. i havent seen any numbers, but i wouldnt be surprised if he was easily over the 220 mark.

he wasnt exactly a seldom used tool last year...172 carries 5.5 yd avg, 15 receptions 9.9 yard avg.

id say hes coming along at a perfect pace and more than capable of being relied upon as the feature back. the guy is the most natural leader on the team.

and i think its kind of short sighted saying he is our only offensive threat. its like taylor martinez doesnt exist to some of you. put aside the qb argument, you dont just shove his talent back on the shelf because of the way a true freshman year ended for him.

have you seen him recently? he's been doing some serious time in the weight room. looks ready to take a yearlong grind. i havent seen any numbers, but i wouldnt be surprised if he was easily over the 220 mark.

he wasnt exactly a seldom used tool last year...172 carries 5.5 yd avg, 15 receptions 9.9 yard avg.

id say hes coming along at a perfect pace and more than capable of being relied upon as the feature back. the guy is the most natural leader on the team.

and i think its kind of short sighted saying he is our only offensive threat. its like taylor martinez doesnt exist to some of you. put aside the qb argument, you dont just shove his talent back on the shelf because of the way a true freshman year ended for him.

:yeah

Rex does not have a lot of sensational highlight plays, mostly because he lacks top-end speed. Having said that, Rex may get pub in the same way that Toby Gerhart did--by just being a brutal, consistent runner. Rex will get some additional benefit for the fact that he can run the Rexcat and throw for a few scores. All in all, I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that he can push for the Heisman either this year or the next one.

Not to mention that he will benefit from the fact that there are other play-makers on the team. Assuming as I must that Martinez will remain the starting QB, teams are going to have to account for both players. And with Reed, Kinnie, and Bell as potential receiving threats, teams can't afford to just load the box and play the run.

I predict that Burkhead will finish with at least 1,200 yards rushing and 11 TDs this season. He will have another 300 yards and 2 TDs receiving, and 3 TDs passing, for a total of ~1,500 all-purpose yards and 16 TDs. It may not be enough to win the Heisman considering guys like Boise State's QB, Andrew Luck, Denard Robinson, and the RB from South Carolina, but he'll probably be in the conversation.

Rex does not have a lot of sensational highlight plays, mostly because he lacks top-end speed. Having said that, Rex may get pub in the same way that Toby Gerhart did--by just being a brutal, consistent runner. Rex will get some additional benefit for the fact that he can run the Rexcat and throw for a few scores. All in all, I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that he can push for the Heisman either this year or the next one.

Not to mention that he will benefit from the fact that there are other play-makers on the team. Assuming as I must that Martinez will remain the starting QB, teams are going to have to account for both players. And with Reed, Kinnie, and Bell as potential receiving threats, teams can't afford to just load the box and play the run. I predict that Burkhead will finish with at least 1,200 yards rushing and 11 TDs this season. He will have another 300 yards and 2 TDs receiving, and 3 TDs passing, for a total of ~1,500 all-purpose yards and 16 TDs. It may not be enough to win the Heisman considering guys like Boise State's QB, Andrew Luck, Denard Robinson, and the RB from South Carolina, but he'll probably be in the conversation.

Thats what teams did towards the end of the year and seem to work in their favor.

1500 all purpose yards is maybe enough for all conference, thats about it. Reed and Kinnie maybe potential offensive playmakers but its not a given who gonna be throwing those guys the ball the yet. Bell hasnt even seen time in a game yet, so I dont know he would be considered a potential playmaker. Lets wait till he sees the field, atleast before we put playmaker next to his name.

Not to mention that he will benefit from the fact that there are other play-makers on the team. Assuming as I must that Martinez will remain the starting QB, teams are going to have to account for both players. And with Reed, Kinnie, and Bell as potential receiving threats, teams can't afford to just load the box and play the run. I predict that Burkhead will finish with at least 1,200 yards rushing and 11 TDs this season. He will have another 300 yards and 2 TDs receiving, and 3 TDs passing, for a total of ~1,500 all-purpose yards and 16 TDs. It may not be enough to win the Heisman considering guys like Boise State's QB, Andrew Luck, Denard Robinson, and the RB from South Carolina, but he'll probably be in the conversation.

Thats what teams did towards the end of the year and seem to work in their favor.

1500 all purpose yards is maybe enough for all conference, thats about it. Reed and Kinnie maybe potential offensive playmakers but its not a given who gonna be throwing those guys the ball the yet. Bell hasnt even seen time in a game yet, so I dont know he would be considered a potential playmaker. Lets wait till he sees the field, atleast before we put playmaker next to his name.

Of course you'll never agree but for the heck of it there are four major reasons that just could take the Debbie Downer cloud off your head.....

1. a new OC

2. a new QB couch

3. a healthy Tmart (yeah, I know....our best qb & leader is one of the freshmen who hasn't played a down yet)

4. a new WR coach

Who knows? You might even enjoy watching NU crush Big10 teams into the dust.