Mike Anderson and Husker Baseball

I believe the Huskers have the rare opportunity to begin new traditions with the move to the Big 10. I also think most Husker baseball fans feel as I do in regards to the talent level differences between the Big 12 and Big 10. (Big 10 traditions are much lower then the Big 12) Additionally, I think most of us believe this is a perfect opportunity for the Huskers to make a HUGE splash in the Big 10.

The biggest concern I have is in the leadership of our baseball program. The university has spent in excess of $35 million in revenue to ensure we have the facilities to compete with other traditionally rich baseball programs. Our facility is by far the best in the Big 10 and outside of Penn State's increased emphasis on baseball (Penn State's facilities match ours and they could easily turn into a huge rivalry game) the big 10 is behind. Adding the Huskers to the conference and hopefully seeing the profits that baseball can bring to universities wanting to compete in baseball will hopefully create more interest from those schools that are behind and the competition will improve. The Huskers have a chance to rule the roost from the first year but I can't forecast success with Anderson as our leader. (at least not right now, maybe I'll change my opinion as the season progresses.)

This isn't meant to be a witch hunt against Anderson. I believe the program needs to believe we the fans will support them through thick and thin. I think we do that and show that well. Still, when one hears the rumors regarding the lack of respect Anderson gives players, (Many rumors of Arrogance exist.) and never hearing any of his players speaking about how much they love playing for him. (Listen to the football players speak of Pelini and their admiration. We never hear that about Anderson.)

I do think this season is the season that either stamps out the hot seat or the seat catches fire. I think 40 wins is absolutely necessary and anything less is unacceptable. Anderson has had the time to create a program with tradition and now is the time for it to show.

Looking at the schedule (below) I don't see any opponent that should take a series win from us. 4 losses, though disappointing, is acceptable.. more then 4 losses places us as projected by the writers.... at the bottom of the conference and that to me is unacceptable. Hope others will reply to this as I'd like to know if I'm out of line here. Thanks!

Tue, Mar 15 South Dakota State - Hawks Field

Wed, Mar 16 Kansas State - - at Manhattan, Kan.

Fri, Mar 18 North Dakota - Hawks Field

Sat, Mar 19 North Dakota (DH) Hawks Field

Sun, Mar 20 North Dakota - - Hawks Field

Tue, Mar 22 Northern Colorado - Hawks Field

Wed, Mar 23 Northern Colorado - Hawks Field

Fri, Mar 25 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Sat, Mar 26 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Sun, Mar 27 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Wed, Mar 30 Doane College - Hawks Field

Fri, Apr 01 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Sat, Apr 02 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Sun, Apr 03 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Tue, Apr 05 Creighton - - Hawks Field

Fri, Apr 08 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Sat, Apr 09 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Sun, Apr 10 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Tue, Apr 12 Wichita State - - at Wichita, Kan.

Fri, Apr 15 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Sat, Apr 16 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Sun, Apr 17 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Tue, Apr 19 Creighton - - at TD Ameritrade Park

I believe the Huskers have the rare opportunity to begin new traditions with the move to the Big 10. I also think most Husker baseball fans feel as I do in regards to the talent level differences between the Big 12 and Big 10. (Big 10 traditions are much lower then the Big 12) Additionally, I think most of us believe this is a perfect opportunity for the Huskers to make a HUGE splash in the Big 10.

The biggest concern I have is in the leadership of our baseball program. The university has spent in excess of $35 million in revenue to ensure we have the facilities to compete with other traditionally rich baseball programs. Our facility is by far the best in the Big 10 and outside of Penn State's increased emphasis on baseball (Penn State's facilities match ours and they could easily turn into a huge rivalry game) the big 10 is behind. Adding the Huskers to the conference and hopefully seeing the profits that baseball can bring to universities wanting to compete in baseball will hopefully create more interest from those schools that are behind and the competition will improve. The Huskers have a chance to rule the roost from the first year but I can't forecast success with Anderson as our leader. (at least not right now, maybe I'll change my opinion as the season progresses.)

This isn't meant to be a witch hunt against Anderson. I believe the program needs to believe we the fans will support them through thick and thin. I think we do that and show that well. Still, when one hears the rumors regarding the lack of respect Anderson gives players, (Many rumors of Arrogance exist.) and never hearing any of his players speaking about how much they love playing for him. (Listen to the football players speak of Pelini and their admiration. We never hear that about Anderson.)

I do think this season is the season that either stamps out the hot seat or the seat catches fire. I think 40 wins is absolutely necessary and anything less is unacceptable. Anderson has had the time to create a program with tradition and now is the time for it to show.

Looking at the schedule (below) I don't see any opponent that should take a series win from us. 4 losses, though disappointing, is acceptable.. more then 4 losses places us as projected by the writers.... at the bottom of the conference and that to me is unacceptable. Hope others will reply to this as I'd like to know if I'm out of line here. Thanks!

Tue, Mar 15 South Dakota State - Hawks Field

Wed, Mar 16 Kansas State - - at Manhattan, Kan.

Fri, Mar 18 North Dakota - Hawks Field

Sat, Mar 19 North Dakota (DH) Hawks Field

Sun, Mar 20 North Dakota - - Hawks Field

Tue, Mar 22 Northern Colorado - Hawks Field

Wed, Mar 23 Northern Colorado - Hawks Field

Fri, Mar 25 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Sat, Mar 26 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Sun, Mar 27 Texas Tech * - - at Lubbock, Texas

Wed, Mar 30 Doane College - Hawks Field

Fri, Apr 01 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Sat, Apr 02 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Sun, Apr 03 Oklahoma State * - Hawks Field

Tue, Apr 05 Creighton - - Hawks Field

Fri, Apr 08 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Sat, Apr 09 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Sun, Apr 10 Kansas * - - at Lawrence, Kan.

Tue, Apr 12 Wichita State - - at Wichita, Kan.

Fri, Apr 15 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Sat, Apr 16 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Sun, Apr 17 Kansas State * - Hawks Field

Tue, Apr 19 Creighton - - at TD Ameritrade Park

Your calculations for an "acceptable" record in the 23 games listed is 19-4. That is doable in my mind but I think the word I would use is ambitious. In those 23 games, we play 12 conference games of which 6 are away. We play KSU, Creighton (twice) and Wichita State in non conference games. Winning every series, beating Creighton both times and splitting between KSU and WSU would be good. I would put that at 19-4....uh, I agree with you. However, I would think 16-7 would be acceptable. Especially if we win the conference series.

No I don't think you are out of line at all. I really think that the only reason Anderson wasn't given a pink slip or a goal to meet was because Osbourne was very busy with his Big 10 transition talk. Witch also brings up the question how much does Tom really care about the baseball and other sports programs(exclude volleyball)? (listen to all the basketball guys complain about their dismal team) If Anderson does not take the team into a good post season run, I think Tom will have to option but to send him on his way. Anderson always used the "i lost my pitcher to the draft" excuse, but can't really use that now as we havn't lost one for awhile. Plus I see programs like Texas lose pitchers all the time and they don't have as much trouble as we do. Lets get a little further into the season and see if our bats wake up a little more and also see what Ehlers can do once the f#$&ing NCAA lets him return. I feel your frustration, but I say lets play a little more ball first.

losing the KSU game... give up 2 (3 run) dingers and continue to leave runners on base = typical fashion adding up to another loss.

edit:

looking more and more like the preseason projections of the Big 12 writers pegged it. We are quickly looking at becoming bottom dwellers in the conference.

K State wins!

"Quote from huskers.com write up"

The Huskers nearly caught a break in the eighth inning when a fly ball from Farmer fell into right center field between outfielders Jared King and Kindel. However, following the error, Shawn Lewich got three straight strikeouts to keep NU down 6-5.

1. AnderWatson blamed the loss on two poor pitches. Personally, I blame it on his arrogance. AnderWatson, I'd think after 7 years of coaching you'd have witnessed other managers using situational pitching to win games. You however don't know what that term means. Change the pitcher, get the out and move on but no.. AnderWatson's theory is arrogance. "I put my pitcher out there, he dug his hole and he'll get out of it". Continue this managing theory and watch your team end up at the bottom of the Big 12 AGAIN!

2. Anderson's comments after the game are the perfect example of his inability to coach/mentor:

"It's pretty disappointing," head coach Mike Anderson said. "That one will haunt one a little bit because we had a 5-0 lead on the road. We played well defensively and it was really two pitches that hurt us, but it was a walk and hit by pitch that got us in trouble. I told our club I was not pleased with our offense. We had too many strikeouts."

When was the last time we heard Anderson accept blame for a loss. When has he ever said, I was out managed, I blame myself for this loss, I didn't have the team ready to play to their potential. Never! This is the arrogance we get "I told our club I was not pleased". Well AnderWatson, I'm telling you as a fan that I'm not pleased with your coaching. Maybe you should have said, I told our club I am responsible for this loss because I've not found a solution to the issue that continues to plaque our hitting.

Huskers are looking good this weekend. Unfortunately, we are playing a team that is struggling and is 1-13 overall. I checked the current rpi standings. When comparing the skers against the rest of the big 12 one will notice that our Huskers, even with a series win over Fresno State would still not likely be ranked in the top 20. (We just haven't played the schedule to deserve the ranking.)

Big 12 RPI

Nat'l - Rating W - L / W - L Team

Rank

018 - 0.615 - 13 - 06 / 13 - 06 Baylor

022 - 0.608 - 14 - 05 / 14 - 05 Texas A&M

023 - 0.604 - 14 - 05 / 14 - 05 Texas

029 - 0.589 - 17 - 04 / 17 - 04 Oklahoma

048 - 0.564 - 13 - 03 / 14 - 03 Oklahoma State

057 - 0.557 - 13 - 07 / 13 - 07 Texas Tech

087 - 0.536 - 12 - 07 / 13 - 07 Nebraska

112 - 0.522 - 07 - 10 / 07 - 10 Kansas

124 - 0.514 - 12 - 06 / 12 - 06 Kansas State

183 - 0.477 - 09 - 09 / 09 - 09 Missouri

• 3 weeks later...

as much as I've called for MA's head I also have to admit that I've been an apologist for him over the last few years. I haven't forgotten that he was the coach of the year in D1 not so long ago. Additionally, I know we are currently recruiting at least one (maybe 2) of Will Bolts kids down in texasarkana u. Knowing this and after reading the below link I'm again second guessing my notion that MA has to go. Honestly, I still think he has to reach the Big 12's conference tourney. If he doesn't, then I'm in favor of handing him the pink slip. However, if he is able to right the ship and actually make the tourney then I'd more likely revert back to my old opinion that he'll turn it around.

Interesting link:

Link from the 247sports site

Skers get the win today, 4-2. Vogt gets the win after Keller leaves after 2 2/3. Interesting bit was when Josh Sheffert came on to relieve Vogt. Faced one hitter and gave up a run scoring single.

KU had their chance getting the leadoff guy on a bunch, but never could really mount any serious threats. Good all around win for the good guys.

Interestingly, the radio guys are really speculating that Ehlers may start. Don't see that happening, but definitely expect to see him get a lot of mid inning relief work. He has been throwing a bunch in practice lately. I would not be shocked if he goes two or three innings tomorrow, a couple on Tuesday against Wichita State, and then start next Sunday against the Purple Kitties.

Dr. Tom's going to have to force MA to leave, and the sooner the better. Only saw game via BBoard updates, but the people listening to radio sounded pissed, like the team had no life and didn't give two ****s about what was going on.

Then again, with the medium of radio, that is purely conjecture to possibly excuse away a poor showing...but when all of our showings are poor as of late...

I would have liked to be a bug on the ceiling of the cars driving home. Seems like there was 200 plus husker fans that made the trip (maybe more) and I'm curious what the return conversations were. As for the issue with focus, the team played robotic. They roared back and should have had a huge growl but the teams lacks that personality that "wills" them onward to victory. Seemingly, the team is lacking a true leader and I think thats a huge factor. We are young and this has to be a very difficult season.