Fill in the Blank

Creed

2. Wisconsin, due to "mutual respect."

Doubt this.

If you're doubting the "mutual respect" I have to ask why? The Barry Alvarez connection will start this off with a healthy dose of mutual respect, I would think.

Do you think the average Badger fan knows that Alvarez was an ex Husker? Would they even care? Do Iowa fans have a mutual respect for Wisconsin (might be a bad example...)?

Okay, I need to pass some time. Fill in the blank on the new match-ups or possible rivalries.

Nebraska vs Colorado = Nebraska vs. _________________

Nebraska vs Oklahoma = Nebraska vs. _________________

Nebraska vs Texas = Nebraska vs. _________________

and just for fun

Nebraska vs Iowa St. = Nebraska vs. _______________

Iowa will replace Colorado as the Traditional Friday after Thanksgiving Day "Border Rivalry" game but Iowa will be better.

Oklahoma is a tough one for me. Do you choose PSU where Nebraska will have annual battles with or OSU, a more relevant team now, with likely match-ups in the CCG.

Michigan will replace Texas. Does some bad blood from the 97 split championchip spill over into this annual match-up? If you look back at history, Michigan was a bad team until Bo Schembechler got there. They got their defining win against a supposedly unbeatable Ohio State team in 1969. That win jump started Michigan's resurgence. 2011, they have a new hard nosed coach and do they get their defining win against Nebraska this year in Ann Arbor? Does some clock shanannagins come into play?

Northwestern will replace Iowa State. Should Nebraska handle NW easily - Yes but NW can be opportunist and steal a win every now and again.

Feel free to add other games.

1. Iowa, based strictly from the "rivalry" standpoint.

2. Wisconsin, due to "mutual respect."

3. Penn State, because of what I hear about their obnoxious fan base.

4. Illinois or Minnesota: a team that will surprise Nebraska and win one or two match-ups every decade or so.

Doubt this.

Really? I don't think that there is much animosity on either side right now... Granted, that could very well change, but I don't see Nebraska fans hating Wisconsin even if they do win ~50% of the match-ups. Wisconsin definitely has respect for the run game (something most Nebraska fans can appreciate) and both have had great historical coaches.

Nebraska vs Colorado = Nebraska vs. Iowa

Nebraska vs Oklahoma = Nebraska vs. Penn State

Nebraska vs Texas = Nebraska vs. Ohio State

and just for fun

Nebraska vs Iowa St. = Nebraska vs. Minnesota

And Just cause -

Nebraska vs Missouri = Michigan State

Nebraska vs Kansas = Illinois

Nebraska vs Texas Tech = Michigan

Nebraska vs Oklahoma State = Purdue

Nebraska vs Baylor = Northwestern

Nebraska vs Kansas State = Indiana

Nebraska vs Texas A&M = Wisconsin

-

On a side note, while putting this together I realized something...is it me or is the B1G not even close to as deep as the B12 was? Iowa would beat Colorado handily and Illinois would probably beat Kansas.. but Tech would kill Michigan and Oklahoma State would dominate Purdue which puts those four at a wash...the BIG would have a very tough time winning even half of the rest of those games.

Based on my list based solely on my personal opinion of the match-ups.. our 2011 schedule looks like this in B12speak:

Tennessee at Chattanooga

Fresno State

Washington

Wyoming

@ Texas A&M

Texas (sans the commissioner and the referees in their pocket)

@ Iowa State

Missouri

Baylor

@ Oklahoma (John Blake version)

@ Texas Tech

Colorado

Based on Nexus' list which is based on winning percentage since 1998.. our 2011 schedule looks like this in B12speak:

Tennessee at Chattanooga

Fresno State

Washington

Wyoming

@ Oklahoma (sans the history)

Texas (sans the commissioner and the referees in their pocket)

@ Colorado (sans the hate)

Texas A&M

Kansas

@ Kansas State (sans the really old head coach past his prime..oh wait n/m)

@ Texas Tech

Missouri

Nexus' list is a little tougher with OU/UT back to back.. but neither is extremely daunting based on the facts at hand. (especially with the OSU scandal)

Nebraska vs Colorado = Nebraska vs. Iowa.

Post-Thanksgiving matchup, potentially "rivalry".

Nebraska vs Oklahoma = Nebraska vs. Ohio St. Another pair of all-time top-5 teams. No-brainer for me.

Nebraska vs Texas = Nebraska vs. Penn St. Because I've heard we're going to hate their fans and they're not very happy with out "bravado" coming into the conference. I'm style vying for the upside-down nittany lion emoticon.

and just for fun

Nebraska vs Iowa St. = Nebraska vs. Purdue. Perennially bad enough to get overlooked and bite us every now and then.

For fun, I decided to size up the Big Ten and their Big 12 equivalents (minus Nebraska) by winning percentage since the BCS era (1998-2010). In case you're wondering, Nebraska's winning percentage since '98 is .684.

Ohio State .798 ... Texas .796

Wisconsin .710 ... Oklahoma .783

Michigan .666 ... Texas Tech .646

Penn State .639 ... Kansas State .613

Iowa .575 ... Missouri .575

Michigan State .547 ... Texas A&M .565

Purdue .540 ... Oklahoma State .556

Minnesota .490 ... Colorado .484

Northwestern .468 ... Kansas .445

Illinois .409 ... Iowa State .426

Indiana .344 ... Baylor .291

Thread was to guess at what new "rivalries" will replace the former real or perceived rivalries of Neb vs B12.

The whole B10-B12 stronger conference discussion occurred in a different thread.

I'm curious to who will replace Missouri's fake rivalry with us. I'm guessing MSU because they're on a pretty high note right now. It'll be fun to have new teams to listen to reasons why they're superior. :rolleyes:

I just don't see MSU having a rivalry with Neb due to proximity and MSU has its rivalries with Mich and ND. Something would have to happen over the years to stir the pot with these two teams.

This year will be a telling year for MSU. MSU will not get the breaks with its schedule like last year. They have a very good coach and some talent but eventually they will have to prove themselves against quality teams, something they have not done for a very long time.

For fun, I decided to size up the Big Ten and their Big 12 equivalents (minus Nebraska) by winning percentage since the BCS era (1998-2010). In case you're wondering, Nebraska's winning percentage since '98 is .684.

Ohio State .798 ... Texas .796

Wisconsin .710 ... Oklahoma .783

Michigan .666 ... Texas Tech .646

Penn State .639 ... Kansas State .613

Iowa .575 ... Missouri .575

Michigan State .547 ... Texas A&M .565

Purdue .540 ... Oklahoma State .556

Minnesota .490 ... Colorado .484

Northwestern .468 ... Kansas .445

Illinois .409 ... Iowa State .426

Indiana .344 ... Baylor .291

Thread was to guess at what new "rivalries" will replace the former real or perceived rivalries of Neb vs B12.

The whole B10-B12 stronger conference discussion occurred in a different thread.

I was aware of your intention, hence the reason why I started my post with "For fun..." which implies I'm expanding on your topic for the sake of perspective. On top of that, I'm a sucker for statistics and thought it was worth sharing as a sort of sidenote to the discussion for my own as well as others curiosity. It wasn't meant to imply which conference is/was superior. At least that wasn't my intention.

Nebraska vs Colorado is of course = Nebraska vs.Iowa

Nebraska vs Oklahoma will be the new Nebraska vs. Ohio State

Nebraska vs Texas = Will not exist because no team in the BIG 10 will have the success and sheer luck (Don't kid yourself, thats what it was) which Texas had against Nebraska. The bitter unsettled angry rivalry because of the nature of these fans and the juvenile spoiled brat attitude of the people of the city of Madison, I believe it will be Nebraska vs. Wisconsin.

Nebraska vs Iowa St. = Nebraska vs. Minnesota

Excuse me? The student section gets rowdy, but please enlighten me as to how the fine people of Madison fit the above description? I've lived in both places. Have you?

Nebraska vs Colorado = Nebraska vs. Iowa (Border state with a less than stellar reputation)

Nebraska vs Oklahoma = Nebraska vs. PSU (Traditional powerhouse with a NU-PSU relation already established)

Nebraska vs Texas = Nebraska vs. OSU (Conference juggernaut that everyone loves to beat)

Nebraska vs Iowa St. = Nebraska vs. Minnesota (They are always there, but no one really notices them. Sometimes it bites you in the a$s)

Nebraska vs Missouri = Nebraska vs Michigan (Strong offensive team that's usually in the mix)

I pretty much agree, for slightly different reasons. Except I think Mizzou is more like Wisconsin than Michigan.

Nebraska vs Colorado = Nebraska vs. Iowa (Rah rah coach. border rival. hooligan fans)

Nebraska vs Oklahoma = Nebraska vs. PSU (or maybe Michigan once they're back. A tradition rich powerhouse.)

Nebraska vs Texas = Nebraska vs. tOSU (great program. much jackassery in the fanbase)

Nebraska vs Iowa St. = Nebraska vs. Minnesota (mediocrity at its average best)

Nebraska vs Missouri = Nebraska vs Wisconsin (Wisconsin, like Mizzou, generally has a good team, but known to lay an egg once or twice per year.)

Also:

Nebraska vs Okla St = Nebraska vs. Michigan State (Michigan Lite, like Okie Lite, is the pesky little brother to a powerhouse in-state program)

Nebraska vs Baylor = Nebraska vs Northwestern. (Baylor and Northwestern--both academic powerhouses who field a decent team maybe two years out of ten)