Through the eyes of a child

rawhide

I agree that it makes sense, but that's what also really strikes a nerve with me. Just like the letter said, we can compare it to children. We gave Bob Devaney's first child 20 years to achieve greatness. We gave TO's first child 6 years to achieve greatness. Going down this path, we can deduct Steve's first child only deserves 2 or 3 years? We were promised by Father Steve we wouldn't surrender the Big 12 and we wouldn't accept mediocrity. Last year, we surrendered the Big 12 to a lot more teams than just Oklahoma and Texas. Last year, we were just that mediocre.

As Husker fans, we didn't used to get all excited about a victory. We expected it. This year, some/a lot of fans expected us to lose to Pitt and Iowa State. We didn't used to get excited about making a bowl game. We got excited about going to a top tier bowl game. Now, we just get excited to even think about going to a bowl game. When fathers boast of their children, we do expect certain things from them. We all expected more especially last year from our coach. I don't know how this all plays out, but I'm getting sick and tired of people telling the fans how we should think and act. We were promised more. We were never told we were on a 5-10 year plan. Maybe that's what makes us different from other fans, we take people at their word.

I'm not at all disappointed in the Huskers. I'm really not disappointed in the coaching staff even though I do question some of the things they do. I'm disappointed in the father (Father Steve). We didn't bring a new guy in to watch him grow as a coach like you would watch a child. We brought him in for one reason and one reason only, TO WIN!

We didn't used to get excited about making a bowl game. We got excited about going to a top tier bowl game. Now, we just get excited to even think about going to a bowl game. When fathers boast of their children, we do expect certain things from them.

Sorry bud, but its not 1995 anymore. Things change. If you don't want to get excited about beating ISU then don't. But don't complain about how no one else should be excited about it just because we used to roll them by about 50 every game.

I really don't think SP gave any of us a timeframe for when we'd be competing for the Big XII title again, mainly because that would be a silly thing to do. But expecting it to happen in 1 or 2 years is probably just as silly. I don't think the point of the article was to tell people to 'wait for the titles to come in due time' but to tell people to enjoy the process rather than just salivating over the day when we beat everybody by fifty.

To stick with the baby analogy, if your kid couldn't do calculus in 3rd grade would you blame the teacher? or the school board who hired him/her? Or would you recognize that maybe your kid just isn't ready for calculus yet and enjoy seeing him learn to do long division?

We didn't used to get excited about making a bowl game. We got excited about going to a top tier bowl game. Now, we just get excited to even think about going to a bowl game. When fathers boast of their children, we do expect certain things from them.

Sorry bud, but its not 1995 anymore. Things change. If you don't want to get excited about beating ISU then don't. But don't complain about how no one else should be excited about it just because we used to roll them by about 50 every game.

I really don't think SP gave any of us a timeframe for when we'd be competing for the Big XII title again, mainly because that would be a silly thing to do. But expecting it to happen in 1 or 2 years is probably just as silly. I don't think the point of the article was to tell people to 'wait for the titles to come in due time' but to tell people to enjoy the process rather than just salivating over the day when we beat everybody by fifty.

To stick with the baby analogy, if your kid couldn't do calculus in 3rd grade would you blame the teacher? or the school board who hired him/her? Or would you recognize that maybe your kid just isn't ready for calculus yet and enjoy seeing him learn to do long division?

Can I get an AMEN???!!! :clap

If the teacher told me they'd have my kid doing calculus in the third grade, then hell yes I'd be pissed off and blaming the teacher. Pud told us he would not allow us to slip into mediocrity or would not surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas. This is the same as the teacher telling me she'd have my kid doing calculus in the third grade.

I do agree with the point of the letter to enjoy the process, but we weren't promised a process with BC. We had a process with Solich, and we fired him. We were promised something better. So far, it's far from stellar and it's definitely not better.

We played for a NC with our process under Solich. Until this staff does the same, the process is not better. Last year, I expected to lose 3 or 4 games. We lost 6. I expected to play in a bowl game. We didn't.

You guys can enjoy the "process" as much as you like. Until we return to where we were, I will not be enjoying this process. Every time we pass and it's incomploete on 3rd and 2, I will not be enjoying this process. Everytime we lose by more than 20 points, I will not be enjoying this process. We're not paying the staff to take baby steps. We just gave BC a huge raise this year after going 5-6. I'd have to see what he'd get if he didn't win a game. It's like having surgery. You don't want a surgeon who might be able to do the procedure. You want one who is one of the best doing the surgery! The process we're enduring right now is a painful one. I'm not the kind that enjoys pain!

I still can't do long division... :dumdum

If the teacher told me they'd have my kid doing calculus in the third grade, then hell yes I'd be pissed off and blaming the teacher. Pud told us he would not allow us to slip into mediocrity or would not surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas. This is the same as the teacher telling me she'd have my kid doing calculus in the third grade.

I do agree with the point of the letter to enjoy the process, but we weren't promised a process with BC. We had a process with Solich, and we fired him. We were promised something better. So far, it's far from stellar and it's definitely not better.

We played for a NC with our process under Solich. Until this staff does the same, the process is not better. Last year, I expected to lose 3 or 4 games. We lost 6. I expected to play in a bowl game. We didn't.

You guys can enjoy the "process" as much as you like. Until we return to where we were, I will not be enjoying this process. Every time we pass and it's incomploete on 3rd and 2, I will not be enjoying this process. Everytime we lose by more than 20 points, I will not be enjoying this process. We're not paying the staff to take baby steps. We just gave BC a huge raise this year after going 5-6. I'd have to see what he'd get if he didn't win a game. It's like having surgery. You don't want a surgeon who might be able to do the procedure. You want one who is one of the best doing the surgery! The process we're enduring right now is a painful one. I'm not the kind that enjoys pain!

He was talking long-term and everyone else here knows it. Solich played for a NC, and until Callahan does the same his program won't be as good, I agree with you there. Here's the difference from his point of view--I emphasize so we don't need to argue over whether he was right or not--Solich's program was going downhill and it wasnt' going to stop. He couldn't recruit and didn't have a future. The west coast offense is a recruiting machine and can be just as or more successful and a new coach will, at the very least, stop the bleeding. That's just how I see things. Hell, maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit.