AD of WF calls on fans to be more like NU fans

DaveH

On the charter flight back to Winston-Salem, two Wake players approached Wellman and asked, "What was with the Nebraska fans?"

i never get tired of people's reaction to nebraska fans. it generally really screws with people's minds that a packed crowd of red loon can also be civilized.

true story. a couple of years back when Nebraska played Washington @ Memorial, a guy i knew at work had an army buddy come in from town for the game.

his buddy was a big-time huskie fan. and he was all set to go to memorial and rub it in everyone's face how his team was gonna put the cornchuckers to shame in their own house!

history of course would not play out that way. huskies were getting, well, bitched-up and this guy was getting more and more depressed. so much so, in fact, the husker fans noticed. so they toned it down a bit. a couple of them started complimenting the huskies, "y'know, they kids have a lot of potential." "just not their year, but next year." stuff like that.

a little old lady sitting near buy bough this guy a hotdog. swear to god. gave it too him, patted him on the arm and said she remember back when the husker struggled back in the early fifties. "oh, those where rough times," she said. "what with the communists and all..!"

guy left nebraska, forever changed how he viewed the huskers. he was depressed that his team lost, but impressed that so many people around him, total strangers to a one, went out of their way to make his viewing presence bearable, if not enjoyable.

nebraska fans are one of a kind. maybe it's just the way we're raised. maybe its because we've had a team so good for so long we don't have to raise ourselves up by putting other people down.

would that other schools have the same attitude. *cough* *cough* *COLORADO* *cough*.

Living only an hour from Pittsburgh, we got to go to the NU/Pitt game last year. Walking to the game was a treat! "There are the Cornhuskers!" "Where's your overalls?" "What a bunch of farmers!" I believe the Nebraska fans way outnumbered the Pitt fans in their own stadium. We stopped to eat on the way back home, and a Pitt fan comes out of his car, glared at us, and says with disgust, "Hmm. Nebraska fans." The guy gets his food and refuses to sit next to us. He went back to his car to eat! I'm sure if any of those people were in Lincoln this year they were treated very differently. Nebraska fans are the best!

i was discusted after watching the the WV fans treating some visitors horribly. NOTE: has some foul language (i think, i didn't really have the volume up high). This makes me love being a nebraska fan.

http://www.davidcatalano.com/eklektos/2005...vu_tailgate.htm

WOW!!!!

:o

After watching that, i may actually cut CU fans some slack from now on!

as wrong as it feels to defend CU in anyway... i've been to a few NU/CU games at Folsem since the mid-90s and, while you hear the occasional trash talking on the way to the stadium and inside, i've never experienced anything nearly as horrible as the WVU fans in that video! maybe others have had experiences like that at CU but I haven't- not yet anyway.

If someone had simply described that without the video proof, i would have thought they were exagerrating.

It really gives you that much more pride for how we treat our guests in Memorial Stadium, doesn't it?

I agree that was bad, and Im not defending the WV "folk" by any means b/c Ive never heard a good thing about their fans - BUT - what you didnt see in that video is what the "good ole" Tech fan said to these guys before he started rolling film. Remember these are hated rivals and after all they ARE both from the "virginias" - & naturally have that inbred angst. Now he may not have provoked them at all - OR - couldve said something along the lines of "hey hillbillies, wanna be in my toothlessrednecks gone wild video?"

But regardless of if they were incited or not, a few of those hillbillies comments were waay over the top - namely the oldest guy in the vid spewing the gay bombs. Very classy "middle aged lifeless loser that still hangs out in the student section." But if you notice many of them are mostly laughing, and from what I could tell he didnt get any objects thrown at him or "urine ballooned", as Ive heard some of our fellow 'skers did at Penn St and also have at CU.

But yes overall just another example why IT'S GREAT TO BE A HUSKER!!!

Just another piece of info - I ran into a bunch of Texas Tech fans in Belleville, Kansas today. We talked a bit about the game, and the gentleman I spoke with talked about how well he was treated in Lincoln and how fans in Lubbock wouldn't be anywhere close to as gracious as us Husker fans. We truly are one of a kind.

Here's to being the best college football fans in the nation. :thumbs  :cheers  GO BIG RED !!

I used to think so, but what do you think about this group of quotes pulled off of this website by the “greatest fans in America.”

"You are a f'ing Idiot...do you even watch the games?

I hope they ban me for cracking on you chuckle head

You are an ass

husker153@msn.net...send me an e-mail and we can get together an talk about your retarded comments.....a-hole"

"Dude you are pathetic. Do you seriously get off when you try to piss people off? I don't care if this gives me a strike or warning, but you are a pathetic excuse for a human being and a waste of life molecules. If the mods can't see you are posting just to piss people off, then that's just sad. You need to get a life (god help your wife and children if you have any)"

"For god's sake why don't pick some other team to grace with your "support". In fact, if you like barneyball so much I'm sure ISU needs all the "fans" they can get and would welcome you with open arms. We certainly would welcome a jerk like yourself leaving the husker fold."

"No offense, but you must seriously be a closet homosexual. I have NEVER seen anyone so obssesed with a former coach like you are with Frank Solich. Your love and admiration for him is just plain creepy and scarey. I respect frank and everything he has done for NU and wish him luck, but with you, it's like "GOD DAMN""

How classy, and over what, college football :wacko: Do you know whats so funny (or sad) about it, these remarks were not made about OU or CU fans, but were made to a fellow NU fan. Its unfortunate that people like this taint the entire populace that for the most part are good people. I know that when I was at the Wake Game, we saw a group of Wake fans that were treated very well by us. Too bad that some “REAL FANS” cant treat a fellow fan the same. If someone needs to make comments such as this to a fan of ANY team, they really need to get a life.

Sad, sad day.

I used to think so, but what do you think about this group of quotes pulled off of this website by the “greatest fans in America.”

"You are a f'ing Idiot...do you even watch the games?

I hope they ban me for cracking on you chuckle head

You are an ass

husker153@msn.net...send me an e-mail and we can get together an talk about your retarded comments.....a-hole"

"Dude you are pathetic. Do you seriously get off when you try to piss people off? I don't care if this gives me a strike or warning, but you are a pathetic excuse for a human being and a waste of life molecules. If the mods can't see you are posting just to piss people off, then that's just sad. You need to get a life (god help your wife and children if you have any)"

"For god's sake why don't pick some other team to grace with your "support". In fact, if you like barneyball so much I'm sure ISU needs all the "fans" they can get and would welcome you with open arms. We certainly would welcome a jerk like yourself leaving the husker fold."

"No offense, but you must seriously be a closet homosexual. I have NEVER seen anyone so obssesed with a former coach like you are with Frank Solich. Your love and admiration for him is just plain creepy and scarey. I respect frank and everything he has done for NU and wish him luck, but with you, it's like "GOD DAMN""

How classy, and over what, college football :wacko: Do you know whats so funny (or sad) about it, these remarks were not made about OU or CU fans, but were made to a fellow NU fan. Its unfortunate that people like this taint the entire populace that for the most part are good people. I know that when I was at the Wake Game, we saw a group of Wake fans that were treated very well by us. Too bad that some “REAL FANS” cant treat a fellow fan the same. If someone needs to make comments such as this to a fan of ANY team, they really need to get a life.

Sad, sad day.

Honestly, being less abrasive does wonders for getting a message across.