US DOJ asks the NCAA a question

A playoff system won't fix the problem anyways. There will always be unsatisfied fans angry about how their teams got jipted from the playoffs.

Correct. A playoff isn't a solution that will fix all problems. It's just the solution with the least amount of problems.

That's why the vast majority of major and minor sports in the world uses a playoff format. Playoffs are a natural fit for football.

Where in the Constitution does it say the Executive branch has the power to dictate to college football? Probably right under where it says they can sue Arizona for enforcing a law that the Feds refuse to do.

Well if you want to be a clown.

Attorney general Eric Holder referenced Varney's letter at a Senate hearing Wednesday, in response to a statement from Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican and BCS critic. Hatch called the BCS a "mess" and said that "privileged conferences" have tremendous advantages over the unprivileged.

A hearing is a meeting or session of a Senate, House, Joint, or Special Committee of Congress, usually open to the public, to obtain information and opinions on proposed legislation, conduct an investigation, or evaluate/oversee the activities of a government department or the implementation of a Federal law. In addition, hearings may also be purely exploratory in nature, providing testimony and data about topics of current interest. Most Congressional hearings are published two months to two years after they are held.

Do our schools not teach civics anymore?

Holder still works for the executive branch last time I checked. Not that it matters because since when is college sports a federal issue?

A playoff system won't fix the problem anyways. There will always be unsatisfied fans angry about how their teams got jipted from the playoffs.

A playoff system is not perfect but why is it every sport uses it besides College football.

A playoff system is not perfect but why is it every sport uses it besides College football.

This is not a compelling argument to me.

The NCAA doesn't handle the BCS anyways so they are asking the wrong people.

There are a lot of problems with other sports playoffs. For instance the NFL, divisions get a spot even if they suck (like the seahawks last year) then its single elimination? are you gonna tell me 9 times out of 10 the seahawks walk off the field winners against the saints? No, probably not, that lucky game made whoever they played next's road that much easier. Pretty much every other sport has a series, that's not really viable in football.

The people that want this IMO want college football to become the NFL. That's exactly what it shouldn't be. Frankly I'd rather they went back to the old system with conference tie-ins to all bowls and postseason polls then go to a playoff. That's just me. The BCS was the compromise for the people crying about not having a true 1 vs 2 game anyways. Now its not good enough because #4 might beat #2 or whatever. That will ALWAYS be the case, playoff or not.

Sen. Hatch is still mad about Utah getting snubbed by the MNC game in 2008 and wants to push a playoff. IMO its a pretty serious example of blame-shifting for that season by whoever gives Sen. Hatch money. Utah played in a weak conference with no championship game and basically 1 big name, a 2 point win against 2008 Michigan (3-9, first year of RR), on their schedule before the BCS win against Alabama and a finish of #2. There is a lot Utah could have done to gain more respect earlier in the year in non-conference like trying to find a BCS opponent instead of playing games against perennial powerhouses Webber State and Utah State. The conference could have played an extra game to give a better showcase for its 2 best teams at the end of the year. However, the big one is this: if you are going to schedule to try and hang your hat on one big school game early in the year you should probably make sure that team isn't losing to 1AA schools the year before and going 3-9. It was a problem for Boise too last year before the Nevada game, they thought they were going to ride the VT game all the way through the season to the NC game. VT loses to a 1AA the next week and suddenly boise's 3 point win against them the week before gains a LOT of perspective pretty damn fast.

The NCAA division one conferences, half of them don't even have championship games for football (and neither of the non-bcs conferences that whine about the unfair BCS system have a championship game)... Yet we need a playoff so those teams are treated fairly. Give me a break.

Holder and Hatch, I don't care if they work on this, as matter of fact I prefer it as long as they get nothing done... The guys are morons, and every second of wasted time on this for Holder at least means less horrible lobbying against net neutrality, for RIAA/MPAA interests, and other things that are far more damaging to the country and public then whether college football has a playoff or not.