Joplin tornado kills 89

What I'm having a hard time understanding with all these tornado's we're seeing is the number of deaths associated with them. The Joplin twister alone has taken over 100 lives and that number will most likely climb higher. And Joplin of all places should be fully aware of the dangers with tornado's since they are smack in the middle of tornado alley. Alabama and Mississippi seen scores of people killed. North Carolina also had an alarmingly high number of fatalities. Yet....the May 3-4 1999 tornado outbreak in Oklahoma produced 60 twisters but only 40 deaths and it included a F5 tornado that tore thru Moore Oklahoma a city similar in size to Bellevue Neb, Norman OK and even Joplin; the May 8th tornado, a F4 tornado that took an eerily similar path to the May 3rd tornado resulted in one death. The May 10th outbreak last year resulted in very few deaths as well. Family members are all the time asking us why we want to live in Oklahoma with all the tornado's. If you ask me...I would say Oklahoma is the safest place to be during severe weather.

It was the lack of warning and the amped severity of the storm in a short time. I know at the hospital they had a 20 minute warning, or so they thought, 5 minutes later the tornado hit the hospital. If you look at the devestation to all the businesses and homes, I look at it the opposite as you and am amazed that people survived it.

EMS people from the hospital I work at went over and said it's unlike anything they've ever seen, and these are guys that were some of the first to arrive after Katrina hit in New Orleans.

Yeah, I'm shocked and saddened by the huge number of deaths. Very odd that we'd have two deadly tornado disasters within days of each other. I don't recall any tornado death toll as high as either Alabama or Joplin in, well, ever.

Have all the Mizzou and Nebraska fans who frequent HB been accounted for? i.e. fro?

I thought Fro lived in Omaha? If he does live in Mizzou I hope that the Fro family is doing well and safe.

I am in Omaha, thanks for the concern and wishes anyway though. :) All my family in that area are safe and accounted for. It is extremely sad though. What blows my mind is I know that area from my college days. I visited Missouri Southern a few times to call games and seeing the places that i have been and knowing that block and seeing nothing there, its just a weird feeling.

Thoughts go out to all those people who are struggling or lost someone.

What I'm having a hard time understanding with all these tornado's we're seeing is the number of deaths associated with them. The Joplin twister alone has taken over 100 lives and that number will most likely climb higher. And Joplin of all places should be fully aware of the dangers with tornado's since they are smack in the middle of tornado alley. Alabama and Mississippi seen scores of people killed. North Carolina also had an alarmingly high number of fatalities. Yet....the May 3-4 1999 tornado outbreak in Oklahoma produced 60 twisters but only 40 deaths and it included a F5 tornado that tore thru Moore Oklahoma a city similar in size to Bellevue Neb, Norman OK and even Joplin; the May 8th tornado, a F4 tornado that took an eerily similar path to the May 3rd tornado resulted in one death. The May 10th outbreak last year resulted in very few deaths as well. Family members are all the time asking us why we want to live in Oklahoma with all the tornado's. If you ask me...I would say Oklahoma is the safest place to be during severe weather.

It was the lack of warning and the amped severity of the storm in a short time. I know at the hospital they had a 20 minute warning, or so they thought, 5 minutes later the tornado hit the hospital. If you look at the devestation to all the businesses and homes, I look at it the opposite as you and am amazed that people survived it.

EMS people from the hospital I work at went over and said it's unlike anything they've ever seen, and these are guys that were some of the first to arrive after Katrina hit in New Orleans.

That's what I was curious about. I didn't know if it was a lack of warning or inadequate warning or if it was a moving forming and moving storm. That explains the high number of fatalities.

Side note, the area just west of OKC is getting...HAMMERED! Possible EF5 west of OKC moving NW. Showed live footage of it moving across I-40 and it was massive!

Disturbing news leaking out today about there being 1,500 people in Joplin who have not been accounted for. Many of them have surely left town, and the communications systems is basically non-existent, but it's quite possible that there may actually be 500-1000 dead.

This video is from a dark basement crammed with people who think they are about to die as the tornado passes overhead. This could easily be any of us, or our family/friends, in this situation.

Tragic situation in Joplin. I feel like I should be doing something to help some of these folks out.

This video is from a dark basement crammed with people who think they are about to die as the tornado passes overhead. This could easily be any of us, or our family/friends, in this situation.

Tragic situation in Joplin. I feel like I should be doing something to help some of these folks out.

Its actually from a cooler inside a gas station (Hint the corona light 6pk.) But still really scary

Disturbing news leaking out today about there being 1,500 people in Joplin who have not been accounted for. Many of them have surely left town, and the communications systems is basically non-existent, but it's quite possible that there may actually be 500-1000 dead.

The official list of known missing came out today at 232, but several of those have been accounted for today.

The worst thing I heard is what the makeshift morgue is going through, they have to wait to release bodies until they have DNA or dental evidence. They had a mom that positively identified her dead child visually, but then DNA proved it wasn't her child.

My brother just got word that he's being dispatched to handle auto claims over the next 3 weeks (he lives in Lincoln).