Nebraska Football Preview with Game Predictions

NW honestly scares the crap out of me. If I pick a game to be upset, its that one. Persa is so underrated its ridiculous. Would not be surprised to see our secondary have a wale up call in that game.

Just watched a replay game of his against Iowa from last year, you are right he is scary good.

No, NW plays in a league where most teams don't play a spread offense. If 10/12 teams played a spread (like the big 12) then the Big 10 D numbers would sky-rocket. It's a simple matter of fact that the spread teams are gonna get more yards, and score more points. That's why half the country has switched to a spread type offense. If NW had been in the Big 12, they'd be at the bottom, because the league deals with the spread weekly.

That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. I am not saying you are, just what you wrote is.

Why is it dumb to think that teams who see the Spread weekly would be better at defending it?

Spread teams get more yards? Score more points? Somebody better call Wiskey and tell them that last year was a fluke and their game just doesnt work, how dare they put up those types of numbers being a running team and all.

You mean like the did against Arizona State, San Jose State and TCU? Or are you trying to say that the fact that Wisconsin averaged way more points in conference play shows that the Big 10 defenses are overrated against good offenses?

This is pointless, because it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. The reason so many teams switched to a spread type of offense, is that it's an equalizer. It allows teams with less talent to get their few playmakers in space, and let them move the ball.

So teams who run the spread have less talent? Well by that logic you would have to assume the conf with the least amount of spread teams has the most talent. I am sorry but I am not going to argue this with you, I would rather go bang my head on the wall.

Sweet Jesus. Can you read? I didn't say that. It allows teams with lesser talent to move the ball and score more, versus them running a traditional pro style. That doesn't mean all teams that run a spread have less talent.

I'm glad you're done arguing, because it's obvious you're wrong and don't understand, and you're just throwing sh#t out there to muck up the argument. The fact is, NW is an average team and the bit of success they have had was due to the Big 10's unfamiliarity with spread offenses. In the Big 12 they'd be at the bottom. Either way, they are the type of offense we have destroyed the last 2 years.

i think that is probably true to a point, the Big 12 had familiarity with spread offenses, but I think you forget that most (and I do mean most, including OSU) run spread offenses. And I am not part of the argument prior, just making an observation here.

As an edit: don't ever underestimate Northwestern, its a long ride home from wherever you are in BiG country, ask any team that has played.

No, NW plays in a league where most teams don't play a spread offense. If 10/12 teams played a spread (like the big 12) then the Big 10 D numbers would sky-rocket. It's a simple matter of fact that the spread teams are gonna get more yards, and score more points. That's why half the country has switched to a spread type offense. If NW had been in the Big 12, they'd be at the bottom, because the league deals with the spread weekly.

That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. I am not saying you are, just what you wrote is.

Why is it dumb to think that teams who see the Spread weekly would be better at defending it?

Spread teams get more yards? Score more points? Somebody better call Wiskey and tell them that last year was a fluke and their game just doesnt work, how dare they put up those types of numbers being a running team and all.

You mean like the did against Arizona State, San Jose State and TCU? Or are you trying to say that the fact that Wisconsin averaged way more points in conference play shows that the Big 10 defenses are overrated against good offenses?

This is pointless, because it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. The reason so many teams switched to a spread type of offense, is that it's an equalizer. It allows teams with less talent to get their few playmakers in space, and let them move the ball.

So teams who run the spread have less talent? Well by that logic you would have to assume the conf with the least amount of spread teams has the most talent. I am sorry but I am not going to argue this with you, I would rather go bang my head on the wall.

Sweet Jesus. Can you read? I didn't say that. It allows teams with lesser talent to move the ball and score more, versus them running a traditional pro style. That doesn't mean all teams that run a spread have less talent.

I'm glad you're done arguing, because it's obvious you're wrong and don't understand, and you're just throwing sh#t out there to muck up the argument. The fact is, NW is an average team and the bit of success they have had was due to the Big 10's unfamiliarity with spread offenses. In the Big 12 they'd be at the bottom. Either way, they are the type of offense we have destroyed the last 2 years.

i think that is probably true to a point, the Big 12 had familiarity with spread offenses, but I think you forget that most (and I do mean most, including OSU) run spread offenses. And I am not part of the argument prior, just making an observation here.

As an edit: don't ever underestimate Northwestern, its a long ride home from wherever you are in BiG country, ask any team that has played.

Running some plays from shotgun doesn't mean they run a spread offense. OSU still runs plenty from under center with 1 back and I-Form. IMO, the true spread teams in the B1G are NW, Purdue (Tiller brought it to the B10), and Illinois. Dunno what Wilson is going to do at Indiana.

No one has said it quite yet, so I thought I'd bring it up. Does the leaving of Terell Pryor drastically change the outcome or improve our odds in the Ohio State game? Sure, he's 1 out of 22 starting players, but...

The issue at Ohio state is bigger than Terrell Pryor. If it was just a Pryor thing then I would think it would be water under the bridge by October. Therefore I think are gonna struggle this season, just too much has happened the last few months for them not too. If we dont beat them, I will be extremely dissappointed.

No one has said it quite yet, so I thought I'd bring it up. Does the leaving of Terell Pryor drastically change the outcome or improve our odds in the Ohio State game? Sure, he's 1 out of 22 starting players, but...

If we don't beat them I think it will be a let down, like huskerscott said.

Pryor along with four other players will not be playing or participating in practices until the five week suspension is over. I don't know if the other four players are starters, but either way they've lost their head coach and are in the midst of one of the most adversity filled times in OSU's history.

Even if Pryor decides to keep his promise to Tressel, he will have one week to prepare for the best defense he'll probably see during the regular season without having played a single down. That'd be a tall task even for somebody who had played five games and then had the week to prepare.

Edit - Nevermind about the Pryor comment. Just saw this morning that he's leaving.

OSU is going to get destroyed.

Ohio State still has plenty of talent. To win, we need to move the ball against their defense, the top defense in the Big Ten over the last several years. We cannot have an offensive meltdown like we've had the last few years against stiff defenses.

We must get to Braxton Miller. He is a mobile QB, something we've had trouble with over the years. He is fleet of foot, he ran a multiple-attack offense in high school, where he took his team to the state finals his senior year. He threw for over 2,000 yards and ran and threw for more than 15 touchdowns each. We have to put consistent, contained pressure on him. If we can do that and get him rattled, we should win this game with any semblance of an offense.

If we cannot pressure Miller and/or our offense goes into its shell, this is a very losable game.