Begin the Erstad Era

Wife told him, the effect you could have on these kids is amazing. Look at how many people Coach Osborne affected in his life, and you would be in that position, too. Erstad felt that was pretty powerful.

His kids love the players and they're there all the time, so they'll be around and it won't be a hardship for him with the time he has to dedicate to the job.

The guy is obviously a good baseball coach...and knows Nebraska but as one friend said...this on the surface would be like hiring Garrison to replace Bo Pelini if he left.

Umm, kind of. But while Garrison was an asst HS coach for 3 years between playing and coaching at NU, Erstad played 14 years in the majors. That's a pretty big difference. Playing time doesn't necessarily equate into coaching experience, but there have been major leaguers (Pete Rose, Frank Robinson to name a couple) who go straight from playing to managing an MLB team, or at least a fairly high minor league team. Granted, most start lower in the minors or are asst coaches first.

Erstad says he didn't have an inkling about becoming the head coach when he moved back here. He didn't even have the offer from Anderson before he moved here.

Ledbetter will stay in Operations, but the other two positions will be filled by new guys. Former coaches not retained. The first guy in has to be a stud recruiter. Erstad will have to lean on him a lot. Second guy has to be an incredible pitching coach. Everyone has to have a lot of fire.

Erstad says once you get a recruit on campus they fall in love with the facilities. They're pretty good.

Recruiting will be a challenge in the Big Ten, but they're just going to have to not miss. Do good talent evaluations and get it right the first time.

One interesting tidbit - Erstad said one of the first people he called was Mike Anderson, who was very supportive. Anderson offered his support and help in getting going.

Anderson is a stand-up guy. Results on the field may not have been there, but I've never heard anything that makes me think Mike Anderson isn't a heck of a man. I've met him several times, and each time I was struck by how down-to-earth and genuine he seemed.

Bubba will be contacted and Erstad will stay in touch, but he'll be treated like any other recruit.