Okay, so I'm a man of my word. Back in the day there was a thread about the greatest TV show of all time. sd'sker picked The Wire, I picked the Sopranos (the series finale of which, btw, I appreciate more now after seeing it again recently). I told him that if I ever watched it I would comment on it.

Just got through watching season four, which IMO was the strongest so far. If I weren't waiting for someone else to get in gear and watching season five with me, I would have gone into the wilderness with a portable DVD player to finish what I can only assume the people in the religion forum would call a 'spiritual experience'. Bottom line: This. Show. Is. Incredible. I don't mean it's okay. I mean it will eat your face and the faces of your children. The writing is some of the best I've ever seen on TV. The acting is flawless, and especially astounding is the kid actors who might have been pulled in off the street for all I know. Dynamic characters. Complicated by satisfying conflicts between the factions and the characters in those factions. And the way it ties a city together where the actions of one drug addict can make life hard on the mayor really gives it this other dimension of complexity unlike stuff I've seen before.

The problem I'd have with calling it the best show ever is the problem most of us would have with naming a favorite movie. It's different than The Sopranos or Dexter. Like the Sopranos, I don't spot much of a weakness. To me it's about perfect. That should be saying enough. When I get through season five the picture might be clearer, but count me as a fan. I'm surprised this show isn't talked about more.

Would it help if I said I've seen a lot of the Twilight Zone with Rod Serling? :hmmph

I don't watch a ton of TV. If I do get into a show it's usually plowing through box sets. If it's worth watching by god I'm going to watch it fast. After the whole LOST sixth season debacle I'm pretty leery of network shows.

Okay, so I'm a man of my word. Back in the day there was a thread about the greatest TV show of all time. sd'sker picked The Wire, I picked the Sopranos (the series finale of which, btw, I appreciate more now after seeing it again recently). I told him that if I ever watched it I would comment on it.

Just got through watching season four, which IMO was the strongest so far. If I weren't waiting for someone else to get in gear and watching season five with me, I would have gone into the wilderness with a portable DVD player to finish what I can only assume the people in the religion forum would call a 'spiritual experience'. Bottom line: This. Show. Is. Incredible. I don't mean it's okay. I mean it will eat your face and the faces of your children. The writing is some of the best I've ever seen on TV. The acting is flawless, and especially astounding is the kid actors who might have been pulled in off the street for all I know. Dynamic characters. Complicated by satisfying conflicts between the factions and the characters in those factions. And the way it ties a city together where the actions of one drug addict can make life hard on the mayor really gives it this other dimension of complexity unlike stuff I've seen before.

The problem I'd have with calling it the best show ever is the problem most of us would have with naming a favorite movie. It's different than The Sopranos or Dexter. Like the Sopranos, I don't spot much of a weakness. To me it's about perfect. That should be saying enough. When I get through season five the picture might be clearer, but count me as a fan. I'm surprised this show isn't talked about more.

Absolutely. Easily my favorite show of all time. Many of the characters were pulled off the street. In fact, Snoop was arrested recently for returning to some of her old habits.

Who is your favorite character? Mine is probably a tie between Omar (obvious) and Bunk (less obvious.)

Season 5 will exceed your expectations. Enjoy!

Yeah, The Wire is one of my favorite shows of all time. I will warn you, though: be prepared to be a little disappointed with season five. It's not terrible, but the series was definitely losing steam which isn't surprising. They set the bar extraordinarily high with the first four seasons.

I loved the second season. It was such a departure from the first, and yet by the third episode you see how everything is tied in together. Who is your favorite character?

Btw...anybody watch the first season of Boardwalk Empire? I thought that was a solid show. My favorite Buscemi role since Reservoir Dogs, maybe.

Absolutely. Easily my favorite show of all time. Many of the characters were pulled off the street. In fact, Snoop was arrested recently for returning to some of her old habits.

Who is your favorite character? Mine is probably a tie between Omar (obvious) and Bunk (less obvious.)

Season 5 will exceed your expectations. Enjoy!

Oh, man, that's a tough one. The ensemble cast is just so good together––and together I think they're more than the sum of their parts––but anytime Bunk, Omar, or Rawls are on screen, it's Christmas. Not that Rawls would fit that 'favorite' character role, but he's such a snake that it's fun to watch. If I had to pick one, think I would pick McNulty.

Yeah, The Wire is one of my favorite shows of all time. I will warn you, though: be prepared to be a little disappointed with season five. It's not terrible, but the series was definitely losing steam which isn't surprising. They set the bar extraordinarily high with the first four seasons.

I loved the second season. It was such a departure from the first, and yet by the third episode you see how everything is tied in together. Who is your favorite character?

Btw...anybody watch the first season of Boardwalk Empire? I thought that was a solid show. My favorite Buscemi role since Reservoir Dogs, maybe.

Interesting. I also really liked season 2, but thought season 5 was strong as well. I especially enjoyed the finale. Different strokes I suppose.