Is the Big 12 worth saving?

Fuzzy

Worth Saving?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very interesting topic from Huskerextra.com

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/is_big_12_worth_saving.html

I will get right in to it. Hell No!

The Big 12 is not worth saving, they have lost pretty much everything when Nebraska left, Texas A&M leaving is like the second nail in the coffin. Big 12 has lost its conference title game, its automatic BCS bowl bid. It's lost 3 schools in matter of 2 years, 2 of them being premier teams. Its losing its luster fast. Rumors are now coming out that Oklahoma may be opening talks with Larry Scott and Pac-12. I'm sorry, but i don't see the Big 12 being labeled a good conference after losing Texas A&M. Bring in mediocre teams like Air Force, Memphis, Tulsa, or Louisville, isn't going to make the Big 12 a better conference, its just an excuse to say the Big 12 has survived. Unless the Big 12 can bring in two or 3 top tier caliber teams to replace Colorado, Nebraska, and Texas A&M. The damage is done. The Big 12 is no longer a premier league.

Absolutely not.

The Big XII is a perversely corrupt conference with a weak kneed commissioner and a tyrant leading its brand. Nothing will save this conference, and nothing should. In recent months it's even become hard to think of it as a conference. The word 'conference' brings to mind a collection of teams with storied history and mutual respect and some sense of the whole. The Big XII is really just code for Big Texas, one black hole slowly sucking the life out of nine orbiting institutions. I hope it implodes tomorrow to spare those schools the shame.

It's not worth saving.

Saving it only means that 3-5 or so weaker teams that frankly don't belong in a BCS league let Texas do whatever they want to them to stay in one because they recognize that fact too. Any one of those weaker teams would be gone in a heartbeat if they had ANY better options. It's an absolutely dysfunctional situation for everyone involved. Even Texas trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of these schools so they can get their coveted LHN off the ground at their expense. If OU doesn't feel dirty just sitting there watching that happen but trying to ride the impending collapse to "easier shots at championships" something is very wrong with those people in Norman.

Mizzou is really screwed because of courting the B1G last go around. I'm sure that's an absolute awful feeling for their administrators in any big 12 function. Having to basically re-affirm their commitment to the big 12, a conference they openly discussed problems with being in, every time an expansion scenario goes across the internet. All while Texas squeezes them and the other ex-north schools just a little bit tighter.

KU seems to be basically trying to be as quiet as possible to avoid the Mizzou treatment unless they are sure they can get out, their only known option, the big east, is a horrible fit geographically and would suck for fan travel and football.

OSU has had recent success because of T. Boone's money, but lets be honest, without being latched on to OU their name wouldn't come up for any conference realignment discussion either, except maybe the Mountain West.

Texas Tech same thing as OSU, although it was because of Leach's coaching rather then a single booster's money.

ISU, Baylor and Kansas State don't belong in a BCS conference. They never have, they were filler in the big 8/12, and they have no delusions about where they fit in the grand scheme of things... so they will go along with whatever Texas says to do and they will pray the Texas legislature glues all the Texas teams together, that other conferences don't finally feel so bad for Missouri that they throw them a lifeline out of there, and that nobody else besides OU and TX have any options either.

OU thinks this is great apparently, only having to play Texas and maybe they'll get in the national championship game. Which they'll promptly get blown out in by the SEC team that has survived their schedule that year because they are ten times stronger then an OU team with 1-2 actual games a season. We might as well start referring to them as Boise State light. Their mentality towards scheduling is exactly the same, except OU gets to do it in a bad BCS conference instead of a bad non-bcs conference.

Texas is Texas, before the next TV deal they'll be looking around again at other conferences and independent status, but until then they're happy to try and hold that dysfunctional conference together by whatever means necessary as they try and build their network on the backs of their conference"mates."

If anyone north finds another option that is feasible they'll go, maybe even if it works out to slightly less money. There's a price on dignity, but only for so long and stability really cant be overvalued. Texas A&M reached theirs. Mizzou was already asking for a way out as well. I'm sure in less public ways every other schools has been assessing their options again. Probably not much has changed since last time except A&M is seriously trying to bust that prison wall down this time.

Can conferences vote to kick a team out? Because that's what they should do to Texas

Yes. 3/4th majority, IIRC. Would they? Probably not--the loss of Texas removes part of the Texas market, and it could trigger a scaling back of their existing TV contracts (which aren't all that great to begin with).

But to answer the original question, ***k no. The last standard bearer of the true Big 8/12 was Nebraska. Everyone else can go pound sand.

• Fire 1

The Big XII is a perversely corrupt conference with a weak kneed commissioner

I thought Deloss Dodds was doing a great job?!?!?

I read something about un-named sources in the Big 12 office saying that Dodds and the UT athletic department were working on replacement team(s) if aTm leaves.