Our good friends the Pakistanis let China inspect our chopper

Reports: Pakistan let Chinese inspect U.S. stealth copter

Chinese military engineers likely got to examine the wreckage of the U.S. stealth helicopter that crashed during the raid on Osama bin Laden's compound in Pakistan, according to news reports.

Pakistani intelligence operatives likely gave the Chinese access to the wreckage, the New York Times reported, citing American officials and other intelligence sources.

The Chinese engineers were able to photograph the wreckage and take samples of the stealth skin that helps the chopper avoid radar detection, intelligence sources told the Financial Times.

When the aircraft crashed during the raid that killed the al Qaeda leader in May, Navy SEALs destroyed most of it to protect the technology. But the tail section remained mostly intact and it was that area that the Chinese engineers examined, according to the New York Times report.

U.S. intelligence is basing its opinion that the Chinese got access to the stealth copter on intercepted phone conversations, the Times reported.

With allies like the Pakistanis, who needs enemies?

Pakistan's is a bunch of underhanded douchebags, that really need to be dealt with...

Lets put it into a little perspective... They got to inspect a faceted section of tail rotor painted with special radar absorbing paint. The technology's been known to be on Jets since the 80s. If they were really THAT worried about it they could have ordered a drone strike after the raid. They blew up the important parts, engine, electronics, etc... It looks like they decided collateral damage for that section probably wasn't worth it.

Bin Laden was a worthy target, but lets not mission creep part of a raid into another country we aren't at war with going wrong and the results of a helicopter crash into a sense we need to "get even with Pakistan" because we are mad that the Chinese are un-innovative technology thieves. We know the Chinese are.

This is a surprise?

Do a little homework and find out where North Korea got some of their "materials" for their nuclear science fair project...

Out of curiosity, who do you think is surprised by this?

I was cause I could of sworn I seen the helicopter being hauled off to an American base in Afghanistan. I guess I misunderstood the news report with that footage.

What's the big deal? China is a better ally than Pakistan. Besides, I think stealth technology is, well, fairly low tech.

The big deal with this now that China has seen how we defeat radar. They could create radar that our stealth technology can't defeat. Which would mean our government would then spend a lot of money in research on how to defeat the radar again to get right back to where we are now.

What's the big deal? China is a better ally than Pakistan. Besides, I think stealth technology is, well, fairly low tech.

The big deal with this now that China has seen how we defeat radar. They could create radar that our stealth technology can't defeat. Which would mean our government would then spend a lot of money in research on how to defeat the radar again to get right back to where we are now.

. . . Stealth technology (so far as shape goes) is a matter of basic physics. It's not something that you can just design a new radar to defeat. Radar absorbing coatings are also pure physics. The exact composition might be valuable to the Chinese so that they can duplicate it for their own planes but it's highly unlikely that it will allow them to design a stealth defeating radar.

Interesting side note: Most of the theory/physics behind our first production stealth aircraft (the F-117) came from an obscure Soviet physicist. He published an academic work explaining how shapes could be used to defeat radar . . . but the Russkies never acted on it. The boys at the Skunk Works read it and put it to good use. Crazy stuff.

Pakistan's is a bunch of underhanded douchebags, that really need to be dealt with...

What would you recommend?

Not sure yet...

What would you recommend we do? Continue giving them money, while they continue supplying North Korea with nuclear materials, or why don't we have the Air Force drop all our best technology over there, so they can invite China back over?

Should we just not give a damn? What do you think we should do?

What would you recommend?

Not sure yet...

What would you recommend we do? Continue giving them money, while they continue supplying North Korea with nuclear materials, or why don't we have the Air Force drop all our best technology over there, so they can invite China back over?

Should we just not give a damn? What do you think we should do?

Well options are kinda limited as long as we want to fight a war on/in their borders and have them pretend to help. So yeah, "not give a damn" is probably about right.

I'd prefer the US just stop fighting wars over there because it's bleeding us dry, with no actual gain except killing off Bin Laden and Saddam (but increasing Iran's influence on Iraq). Yet we seem to keep finding new bogeymen over there to go after since now its Gadhafi and soon it'll be Al-Assad (its like we have an expiration date on our smart-bombs or something).