Ohio State QB Discussion

knapplc

Our first-ever home game against a Big Ten conference foe features the pinnacle of the Big Ten, Ohio State. We catch them at a time of disarray, looking to replace not only their long-time head coach Jim Tressel, but also having to replace Terrell Pryor, departed for the NFL. One third of the way through Fall camp and it seems clear that true Freshman phenom Braxton Miller and Senior stalwart Joe Bauserman are the top two candidates.

Doug Lesmerises, sports writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, tweeted this:

From Ohio State pract today, looks like clear QB order for now: Bauserman, Miller, Guiton, Graham

From what I understand, Miller is the more physically gifted of this group. He is a dual-threat QB in the mold of Pryor, but of course without any playing experience at the D1A level. Bauserman has the steadiness of a Senior, but he's unimpressive overall and he is not a running QB like Miller. Of the two, I'm hoping the Buckeyes come in with Bauserman at the helm. Pocket passers tend not to fare too well against Bo's front four.

They should lean on the experience of Bauserman. I dont see Miller starting off the season as the no. 1 QB, but may have to take over mid season if things need a change on the Offense. I think Pryor did the same his freshman year. Anyways, Millers is the future for the Buckeys, doubt he is ready to go now. Edit: SOunds like our situation last year.

Also im not sure it would be smart for Luke Fickle to start a true freshman(unless he is the clear cut leader) as a job securing move as a first year coach trying to prove himself.

I have watched a lot of Buckeye games over the years. It is rare we get great QBs. OSU will play it safe and start Bauserman. He will be very lacklaster and the fans will start calling for Miller. The two will flip flop throughout the year like Justin Zwick and Troy Smith did back in 2004.

The Miami game will tell a lot about the QBs for OSU - it is either going to be disasterous or they will be serviceable.

I have watched a lot of Buckeye games over the years. It is rare we get great QBs. OSU will play it safe and start Bauserman. He will be very lacklaster and the fans will start calling for Miller. The two will flip flop throughout the year like Justin Zwick and Troy Smith did back in 2004.

The Miami game will tell a lot about the QBs for OSU - it is either going to be disasterous or they will be serviceable.

2nd game in the season? You'll probably be seeing how deep the stable of running backs are than the QBs

At the moment Bowser is taking the majority of snaps with the first team, and figures to be the Game One starter. Sounds like Brax is still "swimming in it" to use a Pelini-ism. It could be Miller with Bauserman backing up come Oct 8, but for now it doesn't look like it's Miller's job.

• 2 weeks later...

lol @ bauserman being the starting qb. It's clearly Braxton's job

Still think so after this past Saturday?

Absolutely. Akron is not going to determine who our starting qb is going to be......difficult competition will. Bauserman had a great game, but we'll need Braxton's wheels to put forth a more competitive offense. And yes, I realize Joe scored a rushing touchdown

lol @ bauserman being the starting qb. It's clearly Braxton's job

Still think so after this past Saturday?

Absolutely. Akron is not going to determine who our starting qb is going to be......difficult competition will. Bauserman had a great game, but we'll need Braxton's wheels to put forth a more competitive offense. And yes, I realize Joe scored a rushing touchdown

Miller will be starter....but it was evident against Akron, that he still needs some time to refine himself. Bauserman had the 3rd highest QB rating at 222.5. Yes it was Akron. But Miller played Akron as well. Removing Miller's first drive (because that wasn't his fault) Bauserman still had the better game. 5 weeks from now, things may change. But based off of current performance, Bauserman starting is clearly not laughable.

Offensive Player of the Week: Joe Bauserman, Ohio State – So many players were worthy of this honor in Week 1, but it’s hard to ignore Bauserman’s fantastic day. In his first start since he was a senior in high school — eight years ago! — the 25-year-old former minor leaguer completed 12-of-16 (75 percent) for 163 yards and three scores, all to tight end Jake Stoneburner. And for good measure, Bauserman also added 32 yards and a score on the ground. Considering all the distractions around the Ohio State program, plus the fact he has a highly touted freshman, Braxton Miller, breathing down his neck, Bauserman far exceeded everyone’s expectations.

LINK

Impressive week 1 performance by Bauserman.