'The Daily Show' discussion thread

I know a lot of us watch this show, and Colbert maybe (I don't watch Colbert)...so I thought it'd be worthwhile to have a discussion thread on it! It's nice to be able to talk with some folks after watching a few episodes...

For those that don't know, it's available online. I subscribe to it via hulu so I get the new episodes roughly a day after they air. I suppose some of the rest of you have these newfangled "tele-vision" sets.

--

August 15, 2011

Stewart did a bit on the ignoring of Ron Paul after the straw poll. It is perplexing, isn't it? Paul came in second in that poll, and not only is he not being named one of the 'top three' of Perry, Romney, and Bachmann, the "watch out for this guy as a potential fourth" ones seemed to be everyone but the guy that nearly won the straw poll. For crying out loud, "Let's not count out John Huntsman" - and his 69 votes.

More vasectomy, too. Rick Perry's father-in-law did his vasectomy.

On Ron Paul: this guy doesn't believe in evolution, does he? :facepalm: Are you serious? How long is this list?! Can we please have some intelligent men and women holding public office? Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that they aren't intelligent. They are. But they are blinded and have their heads firmly buried in the sand on this matter, which to me, raises some red flags.

Also, Mr. Sunshine was pretty cool. Kudos, sir. Don't share his same faith in Congress though.

The daily show is and has been on comedy central since the 90s when Craig Kilborn was on it.

You can also watch it online (a day late) on http://www.dailyshow.com or hulu

The Colbert Report is also an incredible satire of mainly "The Factor." It's not for everyone though, but if you "get it" it's a very worthy program to follow Stewart's Daily show. Both are hilarious and generally very good at pointing out how ridiculous both politicians and the media covering them are.

Fair warning though, if you do watch Fox News and don't find them outlandish and weird you probably won't like either. Unless you watch Colbert and think he is being serious, but in that case you have larger problems and should probably stick to Dane Cook specials.

I know a lot of us watch this show, and Colbert maybe (I don't watch Colbert)...so I thought it'd be worthwhile to have a discussion thread on it! It's nice to be able to talk with some folks after watching a few episodes...

For those that don't know, it's available online. I subscribe to it via hulu so I get the new episodes roughly a day after they air. I suppose some of the rest of you have these newfangled "tele-vision" sets.

--

August 15, 2011

Stewart did a bit on the ignoring of Ron Paul after the straw poll. It is perplexing, isn't it? Paul came in second in that poll, and not only is he not being named one of the 'top three' of Perry, Romney, and Bachmann, the "watch out for this guy as a potential fourth" ones seemed to be everyone but the guy that nearly won the straw poll. For crying out loud, "Let's not count out John Huntsman" - and his 69 votes.

More vasectomy, too. Rick Perry's father-in-law did his vasectomy.

On Ron Paul: this guy doesn't believe in evolution, does he? :facepalm: Are you serious? How long is this list?! Can we please have some intelligent men and women holding public office? Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that they aren't intelligent. They are. But they are blinded and have their heads firmly buried in the sand on this matter, which to me, raises some red flags.

Also, Mr. Sunshine was pretty cool. Kudos, sir. Don't share his same faith in Congress though.

Paul always does well in the Straw polls, he has a pretty hardcore group of grass roots supporters. He's a little nutty in his ideals, so other republicans try to just ignore him until he goes away. They'll get their wish when he retires before the next election for his seat. Until then he'll continue to make their financial policies, war support and flip flopping look like they have no common sense (what politician does?) for a couple more primary states. He can't win and he is not stupid enough to not realize that, he runs as a platform to get his views out there which are basically the things the tea-party was supposedly built on before it was hijacked... things like state's rights, smaller government, different tax policy, not spending more then revenue generates, not policing the world in order to keep feeding the military budgets, etc.

I never got into Colbert so much because the whole show seems so similar to the Daily Show. And I like Stewart a bit more. I guess the satire of the Colbert report is something I don't really "get" yet, but who knows. I'll give it a chance every now and then.

Paul's libertarian ideals are somewhat out there - certainly not mainstream - but I see the value in his representing them in Congress. The thing that most disappoints me about him is the fact that he too, can somehow not believe in revolution. As many young people I know consider him the champion of rationality and sensible governing, I was just surprised that the man does not believe in science. Of course, that may or may not have anything to do with his government policies. If his idea is to "let the states decide" whether to teach evolution or intelligent design, though, that is a total farce.

August 16

"I AM RICK PERRY, AND UNLIKE BARACK OBAMA I WILL F--- THE S--- OUT OF AMERICA!"

:laughpound

^ except of course, no children will result from it, as a result of the aforementioned vasectomy...

I DVR both The Daily Show and Colbert. It's hard to say which I like more.

I absolutely love how Stewart skewers the "big news" guys with their own words, as well as our politicians. I think TDS does a tremendous service to people by pointing out the downright lies these politicians tell us, in their own words, on camera.

I miss the Glory Days of TDS when they had Steven Carrell and Stephen Colbert. Colbert moving on to do his own show just means I get twice as much fun to watch, but losing Carrell was a tragedy. Of the current crop, John Oliver and Aasif Mandvi are probably my favorites. Samantha Bee is OK, as is Jason Jones. I'm glad the Olivia Munn Experiment seems to have gone away. She's a pretty face, but a very mediocre "reporter." Her bits were typically the weak part of the show. John Oliver, on the other hand, makes any show he's in much better. I also miss Rob Riggle.

I got curious about a couple of things as I was writing this and I checked out TDS's Wikipedia page. I do not remember Brian Unger or A. Whitney Brown on the original Daily Show hosted by Craig Kilborn. I very clearly remember Kilborn signing off with "your moment of zen," and I recall his Five Questions bit. It's hard to believe he's been gone from the show for 13 years.

I DVR both The Daily Show and Colbert. It's hard to say which I like more.

I absolutely love how Stewart skewers the "big news" guys with their own words, as well as our politicians. I think TDS does a tremendous service to people by pointing out the downright lies these politicians tell us, in their own words, on camera.

I miss the Glory Days of TDS when they had Steven Carrell and Stephen Colbert. Colbert moving on to do his own show just means I get twice as much fun to watch, but losing Carrell was a tragedy. Of the current crop, John Oliver and Aasif Mandvi are probably my favorites. Samantha Bee is OK, as is Jason Jones. I'm glad the Olivia Munn Experiment seems to have gone away. She's a pretty face, but a very mediocre "reporter." Her bits were typically the weak part of the show. John Oliver, on the other hand, makes any show he's in much better. I also miss Rob Riggle.

I got curious about a couple of things as I was writing this and I checked out TDS's Wikipedia page. I do not remember Brian Unger or A. Whitney Brown on the original Daily Show hosted by Craig Kilborn. I very clearly remember Kilborn signing off with "your moment of zen," and I recall his Five Questions bit. It's hard to believe he's been gone from the show for 13 years.

I really liked Kilborn, there are few that probably ever recognize him as the original host, but it was a different show back then. I don't watch TDS as much as I would like but every time I do it is worth it. Jon Stewart knows how to deliver.

I agree with Knapp about just about all the "correspondents." I'd like to add Rob Corddry to the ex-correspondents I miss list. He just cracks me up.

Carrell vs Colbert in "Even Stevphen" was probably my favorite bit on it ever.

But I think the show has gotten so much stronger over the years, maybe partially because the increasing ridiculousness of the news channels over the last 10 years. I mean a few things like the Beck parodies were incredible but I think the overall writing's gotten much stronger then it was in the earlier days.

zoogies, you definitely have to keep checking out Colbert. The last couple weeks, the writing on that show has been pretty spectacular, and Colbert is an absolutely brilliant improviser.

This bit from a couple nights ago was pretty great. There's been a lot of great material with the SuperPAC stuff.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/394777/august-16-2011/colbert-super-pac---frank-luntz-commits-to-the-pac?xrs=share_copy

Colbert moving on to do his own show just means I get twice as much fun to watch, but losing Carrell was a tragedy.

Steve Carrell. That guy just loves leaving shows and breaking hearts. WTF, man.

I think Stewart is great, but his current crop of correspondents weak. Of course I started watching in '08, during the Olympics, so I wasn't really around during the glory days. Rob Riggle was pretty decent. John Oliver is definitely the star, he is great. Aasif is good as well. Sam Bee and Jason Jones are OK, but I'm less fond of Jason after he decided to show me his balls being cut open.

I liked Olivia Munn actually. She looks great. I'm less familiar with some of the other correspondents, but Lewis Black is annoying as hell, and not funny.

Hercules, I'll take you up on the suggestion. I just think he really needs a new opening sequence. With a theme song that is not so obviously derivative of TDS.