New article from Houston on A&M to SEC

Caven

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Legally-speaking-A-M-to-SEC-in-fine-print-stage-2134282.php

Some relevant bits:

"Let's Be Clear Part II: Everything is a go for A&M to the SEC, no matter the vocal protests of Baylor or anyone else in the Big 12, it's just a matter of finalizing details."

"Finally, and A&M insiders have harped on this as well: The move to the SEC is much bigger than any knee-jerk reaction to the Longhorn Network, it's about what Aggies leaders envision is in the best interests of the university years and a century from now."

I always have to laugh anytime Baylor gets brought up as any kind of player in this. I mean, really laugh outloud. Last night I was reading something pinned on a Penn State forum that has all expansion/realignment talk from back when the it was only the Big Ten talking about expansion (back in Feb 2010). Reading back through the progression of that supposed mass exodus to the Pac-10, and how Texas (the state) was trying to muscle Baylor in, instead of Colorado, kind of warmed my heart a little bit.

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Legally-speaking-A-M-to-SEC-in-fine-print-stage-2134282.php

Some relevant bits:

"Let's Be Clear Part II: Everything is a go for A&M to the SEC, no matter the vocal protests of Baylor or anyone else in the Big 12, it's just a matter of finalizing details."

"Finally, and A&M insiders have harped on this as well: The move to the SEC is much bigger than any knee-jerk reaction to the Longhorn Network, it's about what Aggies leaders envision is in the best interests of the university years and a century from now."

Just in case the Miami story took away our attention fro--oh look, shiny!!!

Sorry, what were we discussing again? :)

I think only half of the wait is for fine-print haggling. The other half is getting A&M their moving buddy, which I still think is going to be the suddenly-mute-on-the-subject Missouri.

I take all of these with a grain of salt. Supposedly Virginia and Virginia Tech are tied together (UVA was pressured by the state to push the ACC to take VT when Miami and BC were leaving the Big East, but that's it), and OU and OSU are tied together, and we used to hear that Texas and A&M were tied, but these other 4 schools are not only not tied, but refused to let the other state school in? Why? They already fight over the same recruits no matter which conference they are in. If that's such a big deal, why let a Texas school get a foothold into SEC territory? I think a lot of people are just guessing or making stuff up, or finding a windy booster who declares "we won't let <in-state rival> in" while not having any real power to stop it.

Not criticizing the post, maybe Gottlieb is right, or maybe not. Just saying it may not be worth much.