Relative skill of the freshman I-Backs

GMoose

I know when the Big Ten Network guys were on campus, Gerry Dinardo raved about Abdullah more than Green or Heard. Not a knock against AG or BH, but more of a compliment to Ameer. I loved the diamond formation seen in some of the practice videos too.

Are these in the videos on Huskers.com? And if so, which day?

Practice Video

Here is yesterdays practice video, shows Ameer and Kenny Bell running a reverse.

Any predictions on when Nebraska runs "Black 41 Flash Reverse," with Jamal Turner throwing to Taylor Martinez?

It's interesting how much more chill and comfortable Carl is in front of the camera. Pelini would look defensive no matter what the question is. "What is your favorite ice cream?" "I don't know. They are all just competing. Mint chip was crappy yesterday but that happens with new flavors."

I noticed that right away. I attributed it to one of them getting dropped on his head as a baby--but I never could figure out which one.

In practice abdullah and kenny bell run with no 2 offense and have several plays with pitches and reverses. I'd expect there will be different packages that highlight each players talents and best skills. I think behind burkhead it will be a steady rotation and don't think anyone will just be a super star but think they will do well.

Heard is the first back behind Rex in the main offense. He runs with the ones when Rex sits. When we run all these super secret quadruple double by-pass, diamond flying wish bone attacks the other backs come first depending on the skill set needed. The coaches will tell you Heard is more of an every down back at this point and the other two have packages. FWIW.

In practice abdullah and kenny bell run with no 2 offense and have several plays with pitches and reverses. I'd expect there will be different packages that highlight each players talents and best skills. I think behind burkhead it will be a steady rotation and don't think anyone will just be a super star but think they will do well.

Heard is the first back behind Rex in the main offense. He runs with the ones when Rex sits. When we run all these super secret quadruple double by-pass, diamond flying wish bone attacks the other backs come first depending on the skill set needed. The coaches will tell you Heard is more of an every down back at this point and the other two have packages. FWIW.

Will we be running the Flying V?

tumblr_lj7c74xus31qzto45o1_500.png

I know when the Big Ten Network guys were on campus, Gerry Dinardo raved about Abdullah more than Green or Heard. Not a knock against AG or BH, but more of a compliment to Ameer. I loved the diamond formation seen in some of the practice videos too.

The diamond formation would be awesome. OU used it frequently last year and they didn't do too bad offensively.

da skers, a buddy of mine keeps swearing we'll see NU in the shotgun veer this year. I have no clue if there's any truth to that but by any chance, have you heard that too? The idea does sound enticing with all those lightning bolt freshmen rbs......heh......but maybe it's all BS.

Heck, I don't know. What do you think?

I got to thinking today, how good our three freshmen running backs really? When I first heard that they were making waves, the first place my mind went was "well of course they are, we have no depth behind Rex." Especially thinking back to 09 when we burned Trey's RS after Burkhead went down rather than giving the green light to Austin Jones.

Now I'm considering their hype. I am a believer that recruiting services make so much money because they are in fact good at what they do. I'm not saying they're totally right about everything all the time, but they are getting better, and I believe they have gotten way better in the last two years. That considered, Green and Heard should in fact be studs. But it also sounds like Abdullah is right on par with them.

So I ask you, do you think these guys are as good as the coaches are making them sound, or are they just in this position because of the lack of depth behind Burkhead?

Been following NU football for a long time. I don't remember having 3 backs with this much potential ever. I could be wrong but if they all stay healthy, 3 backs with 1000 yards each in a couple more years. Bank on it!!!

da skers, a buddy of mine keeps swearing we'll see NU in the shotgun veer this year. I have no clue if there's any truth to that but by any chance, have you heard that too? The idea does sound enticing with all those lightning bolt freshmen rbs......heh......but maybe it's all BS.

Heck, I don't know. What do you think?

I've been told we'll be multiple. ;)

Will we be running the Flying V?

tumblr_lj7c74xus31qzto45o1_500.png

Only on kick off returns when we have Goalberg receiving.

I'm guessing that probably blows all chance of one of them seeing a RS. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but 1 year of development in S&C on top of the mental aspects > 10 carries for a buck fifty.

I'm guessing that probably blows all chance of one of them seeing a RS. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but 1 year of development in S&C on top of the mental aspects > 10 carries for a buck fifty.

Once Kildow left to play baseball because of injury that kind of took away the best chance at one redshirting. He would have been our second or third string back depending on progress this fall.

If we have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string, why not have guys with experience from before like AJ Jones handling those 4th string spot duties? I can't imagine the #4 guy, if he is one of the star freshmen we have, getting enough touches to possibly justify burning a redshirt year.

If we have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string, why not have guys with experience from before like AJ Jones handling those 4th string spot duties? I can't imagine the #4 guy, if he is one of the star freshmen we have, getting enough touches to possibly justify burning a redshirt year.

It also has to do with talent. TK had it.