Impaled through eye socket with pruning shears

leroy220_1983488f.jpg

Arizona man describes shears impaling eye socket

By AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press – 3 hours ago

PHOENIX (AP) — An 86-year-old Arizona man whose eye socket was impaled with a pair of pruning shears said Tuesday he experienced excruciating pain during the ordeal and feels lucky to be alive. Leroy Luetscher, a Wisconsin native who now lives in Green Valley in southern Arizona, said he had just finished trimming plants in his backyard on July 30 when he lost his balance and fell on the pruning shears. LINK

Our Assistant Chief had something crazy like this happen to him a few months ago. He was cleaning his grill with one of those attachments you can put on your power drill. His safety glasses got fogged up and he took them off for a split second...........just then one of the wires shot off of the attachment and threw his left eye all the way back to his optic nerve. He's currently in the last stages trying to get his vision back in that eye. Hurts thinking about it............

I just don't understand how something like that happens. Or how the shears fit in his head like that.

I see two options-one not so bad, the other bad. One, under the skin of his eye socket and down his face outside his skull.

Two, through the nasal cavity, roof of his mouth & downwards(yikes).

I'm guessing it was #1