Nebraska To Host UT-Martin in 2012

knapplc

Not sure if the Huskers Brass wanted this out there yet since it's not officially on our schedule, but the UT-Martin (D2) coach let it slip during his presser yesterday:

Nebraska next ‘name’ on Skyhawk schedule

Jason Simpson’s season preview press conference Monday afternoon was going as most media gatherings of that kind go.

The UT Martin head coach was talking about his team’s chances in 2011, improvements made in the offseason, depth added in the form of new personnel, prospects for the season opener at Jacksonville State on Thursday.

Then, came one little interesting nugget of information.

“We’re playing Nebraska next year.”

Simpson announced the Sky-hawks would continue a recent trend of playing big-name football programs by playing one of the biggest names in the game next season.

The Skyhawks will travel to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln to take on the Cornhuskers in 2012.

No details have been worked out, and UT Martin would likely have to move a game in order to match up with one of Nebraska’s two open dates.

The ’Huskers have 11 games set for next season with open dates on Sept. 22 and Oct. 13. The Skyhawks, meanwhile, are scheduled to play Austin Peay on Sept. 22 and Murray State on Oct. 13. UTM also has 11 games set for next year with Oct. 27 the only open date.

Let the griping about playing D2 opponents officially begin, again, but also temper that with the fact that we are in a bit of an economic pinch right now. We are not full members of the Big Ten until 2015, so we're not raking in all the money we need to meet our budget. We had an open spot in 2012, and to make budget we need seven home games. It doesn't make economic sense for us to schedule a D1A opponent that we'd have to pay upwards of $800k to, if not significantly more, to get them to come to Lincoln for one game.

This is an economic move, nothing more. It sucks to play weak opponents like this, but that's the nature of our economic situation right now, and griping about it won't make it better.

They are D1, not D2

UT-Martin is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, which is in the Football Championship Subdivision, or D2.

D1-AA.... formerly anyways....

Am I speaking French suddenly? D1-AA has been referred to as Division Two, D2, DII, or any other combination for the last umpteen dozen years until they came up with this ridiculous "FCS" and "FBS" nomenclature.

Sorry, but no, it hasn't. You may have been mistaken about it, but DI-AA and D2 are very distinct from one another.

Nah, I'm actually laughing over here. App State has been referred to as a D2 school in just about every conversation I've ever had about them, by me and the others involved in the conversation. I'm quite surprised to find that's wrong.

I didn't think people made that much of a distinction over this. I've been calling D1AA schools "D2" schools here for years.

Learned something new today.

They are D1, not D2

UT-Martin is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, which is in the Football Championship Subdivision, or D2.

D1-AA.... formerly anyways....

Am I speaking French suddenly? D1-AA has been referred to as Division Two, D2, DII, or any other combination for the last umpteen dozen years until they came up with this ridiculous "FCS" and "FBS" nomenclature.

Sorry, but no, it hasn't. You may have been mistaken about it, but DI-AA and D2 are very distinct from one another.

Yes, it has. In many, many, many conversations I've had, or heard on the radio or TV. It's not a big deal, more interesting than anything else, but this is not something I'm just dreaming up today.

EDIT - and just so we're clear, I'm not saying you're wrong. Clearly I'm the one with the misunderstanding here.