RB Redshirts

I was really hoping Bo was going to redshirt at least one of the freshman RBs. To have 3 RBs of that caliber in one class is almost unheard of. It would've been nice to stow one away for an extra year. With Rex, Austin Jones, and two of the three freshman we would've been fine depth-wise. Just wondering what you guys thought about that decision....

I was really hoping Bo was going to redshirt at least one of the freshman RBs. To have 3 RBs of that caliber in one class is almost unheard of. It would've been nice to stow one away for an extra year. With Rex, Austin Jones, and two of the three freshman we would've been fine depth-wise. Just wondering what you guys thought about that decision....

Always a chance to redshirt them down the line if one of those guys breaks away from the pack. No rule says you have to redshirt them their freshman year. They automatically redshirt if they don't play in any games the whole season.

Always a chance to redshirt them down the line if one of those guys breaks away from the pack. No rule says you have to redshirt them their freshman year. They automatically redshirt if they don't play in any games the whole season.

This

Disagree. How many times have you seen a player redshirt after their freshman year, unless injured.

Much like Enunwa & Arod last year, this was a waste. Also, nice to see that Bondi's redshirt was burned for one or two kickoffs (sarcasm).

I'm really beginning to question Bo's handling of his roster.

Yep. If it doesn't happen this year, it is unlikely to happen in a future year - at least, unlikely for it to be a good sign.

Has AJ shown he can be productive? Well, no. But do we need our fourth string to be productive?

Green. Heard. Abdullah.

At least one of these guys has a good chance of being criminally under-used this year. My money is on Aaron Green notching 21 carries and 2 receptions.

--

What I'm most concerned about is sacrificing touches. Rex is a WORKHORSE and needs to have a lot of touches. He had 12 today. Heard - 4. Green - 2. Abdullah - 4, not counting ST. There just isn't enough to go around for everybody.

This

Disagree. How many times have you seen a player redshirt after their freshman year, unless injured.

Much like Enunwa & Arod last year, this was a waste. Also, nice to see that Bondi's redshirt was burned for one or two kickoffs (sarcasm).

I'm really beginning to question Bo's handling of his roster.

I think we're going to see all of those RBs contribute, especially if one goes down or gets a little banged up (which is practically inevitable).

We're also going to need Bondi this year. I don't think we can rely on Maher to do punting, placekicking, and kickoff duties all year. I remember all the articles written, wondering whether Henery could handle both punting and placekicking duties for an entire season, since it would mean less reps of both of those, and more stress. It's unfair to expect Maher to do all three.

What I'm most concerned about is sacrificing touches. Rex is a WORKHORSE and needs to have a lot of touches. He had 12 today. Heard - 4. Green - 2. Abdullah - 4, not counting ST. There just isn't enough to go around for everybody.

Hopefully as the season goes along, we see Martinez with less carries and all four of those guys with more.

Hopefully as the season goes along, we see Martinez with less carries and all four of those guys with more.

And more passing yards (hopefully with few interceptions) for Martinez.

And more passing yards (hopefully with few interceptions) for Martinez.

:yeah I agree with that!

Hopefully, I guess.

But isn't Martinez's strength that he is a great runner? If he only gets say, 10 carries a game...why have a running QB?

The chance that we have no running back injuries the entire year is very, very low. Sometimes having 4 running backs = having 3. It's only a matter of time before one of these guys goes down.

In that case I think you still redshirt one of them and then burn the redshirt if the circumstances warrant it. The decision to play all 3 left me scratching my head. Someone is going to get negligible playing time.

Hopefully, I guess.

But isn't Martinez's strength that he is a great runner? If he only gets say, 10 carries a game...why have a running QB?

Because when this type of offense is run well, 10 carries are all you need. Go back and look at the stats from the 90's. Frazier probably averaged around 10 carries per game, maybe less.

As Martinez settles into the passing game, and improves his option game, hopefully we'll see him distributing the ball more effectively than yesterday. And hopefully that will result into other players having more quality touches, and Martinez with less. Playcalling will be a factor too.